FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
2881 - 2900 of 2928 Posts

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Installed Morimoto 2 Stroke 3.0 headlight LED bulbs.
So let me get this straight, you put a 2 stroke on a 4 stroke? :eek::ROFLMAO: Does that mean you will be able to see TWICE as far at night? :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,788 Posts
So let me get this straight, you put a 2 stroke on a 4 stroke? :eek::ROFLMAO: Does that mean you will be able to see TWICE as far at night? :rolleyes:
I did! Quicker response, sharper throttle, louder exhaust and stronger coffee! FTW! :cool:

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,788 Posts
Installed Morimoto 2 Stroke 3.0 headlight LED bulbs. Gonna ride a little after dark to align and check out the light throw. Stay tuned!
My initial reaction is meh. The light output from each bulb is split- on low beam there's a nice level cut off but then there's a separate line of light from the center rising up and out that lights up signs and trees on sides extremely well. On high beam both lights converge to the center then cross- the right bulb points left and the left bulb points right.

Alll in all I'd say these LED bulbs are pretty crappy too, just like I found with a cheaper pair last year. If rotating some more doesn't fix it I'll probably go back to SilverStars. They work really well IMHO.

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,788 Posts
My ride last night also included a new-to-me Cee Bailey barn door windshield I bought from another member. This is exactly what I've been searching for! I had been using the largest V-Stream and still wasn't completely satisfied. I am now.

·
Registered
2015 FJR-1300ESF
500 Posts
My initial reaction is meh. The light output from each bulb is split- on low beam there's a nice level cut off but then there's a separate line of light from the center rising up and out that lights up signs and trees on sides extremely well. On high beam both lights converge to the center then cross- the right bulb points left and the left bulb points right.

Alll in all I'd say these LED bulbs are pretty crappy too, just like I found with a cheaper pair last year. If rotating some more doesn't fix it I'll probably go back to SilverStars. They work really well IMHO.
Disappointing results, particularly given the price point. Thanks for posting your experience.

I put a pair of Beamtechs in a Vstrom a few years ago and got reasonable results, for around $40. Low-beam upper cutoff was a little messy, but the great increase in nighttime visibility was worthwhile. Never got any indications I was blinding drivers.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I put a set of Katana LEDs in my '07, which was just sold; I decided not to move them to the new '14. They were bright, but it was a very broad spread of light. They could have used a "hot spot" in the center of the pattern. If I had kept it, I probably would have reverted to the original halogen bulbs.

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
3,003 Posts
Put the spare front wheel with the new angel GT a spec on and swapped on the vstream barn door. Trip to PA is in a couple weeks, shouldn't need to do anything else but pack.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2016 FJR1300 ES
547 Posts
Replaced my front PR4 with 12k miles on it. Not at wear bars yet but starting to be uncomfortable at turns and uneven pavement. Put an Angel GT on instead. It’s so nice with a new tire - can’t believe how much smoother it makes Seattle crappy streets feel. Can’t wait for the twisties

·
Registered
2013 FJR1300A
749 Posts
Gave mine a bath after 2 evening commutes in pouring rain last week. And pulled apart the locks on the side bags as they were getting stiff to turn.
Good clean and lube, reassemble with blue thread locker on the screws, and good to go.
Just a couple hundred miles from 100k, so making the list for the "big" service.

·
Registered
2009 FJR1300A
294 Posts
Rotated the new Helibars all the way in and went out for 60 miles. Made the mirrors useful again but twisted my problematic right wrist in the wrong way. Also, noticeably less leverage on the bars. Did not like. Was kind of nice having them so close but overall, naw. Will be putting them all the way back out. Still didn’t fit the tank bag yet but I don’t think it would work at all with the bars in.

Reactions: Whooshka

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
3,003 Posts
About 250.miles. went down to the schell brewery beer garden with my wife, where there is actually a garden. Nice place, inexpensive beer and pretzels. Then went on a tour of the back roads to Jordan. I've been 15 minutes from the "World's largest candy store" for almost 30 years and never stopped. Easy place to spend a bunch on candy from years gone by, and jigsaw puzzles. All in all a good day. Just need to clean the bug graveyard off the fjr tomorrow.

·
Registered
2003 FJR1300 Liquid Silver
206 Posts
Changed the gear oil in my Yamaha FJR1300. I lubed up my chicken strip while I was at it.
36,133 miles
Last done at 20,000 mi service according to previous owner's records.

I didn't go with the mystical, nondescript Yamalube. I went with MY proven champion, Redline.

The magnet had a slight dark gray coating on the magnet. No grit.
If I change oil again at 50,000 miles, I will be able to compare results.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 FJR-1300ESF
500 Posts
few days ago: installed side stand foot enlarger. Deets here:

Kickstand Foot. Risk? | Page 2 | FJR Owners Forum

have not yet crashed and died due to foot enlarger dragging on pavement.

I also put 200+ miles on the FJR yesterday, with a good long scenic ride.

I am happy to say that though I was somewhat tired and sore in general at the end, no one part was especially bothering me. The Sargent World Performance seat should do for even longer trips. Bar position is good. Highway pegs were nice for repositioning legs on the longer straights, but one came loose and needs to be re-tightened.

I do think I want an even shorter windshield, at least for summer riding. The Shoei RF-1400 helmet is remarkably quiet, even at highway speed, provided I have the vents closed. Right now the "dirty" air off the windshield (CalSci sport/"shorty") is hitting me in the upper chest. Might be nice to move it down a few inches.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Gas Rim

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Vehicle Bicycle part

Did this recently. Had a hard time finding titanium replacement feelers for the FJR. Ordered these Motone titanium feelers from A&J cycles. They are meant for Triumphs, but I just ordered some Amazon footpegs, drilled and tapped them for the 8×1 thread pitch, and now she throws sparks! Plus, I kept my factory pegs intact.
I know you don't have to lean over that far, but it sure is more fun now!

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
3,003 Posts
4th set of tires mounted on my 2020 already.
Not to turn this into a tire thread - but since you pack on the miles. What kind of tires and what kind of miles are you getting out of them? I'm on my second front after only 8K

2881 - 2900 of 2928 Posts