FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
2761 - 2780 of 2825 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Air mattress and cot are each about the size of a loaf of white bread when packed. Neat stuff.

Pics below are of my gear and my gear in packing cubes. All fits into a waterproof 60 liter bag that I strap to the back seat. For some reason the cot isn't in the pics. This is the cot...

High Tech Ultralight Cot : Aerostich RiderWearhouse

Luggage and bags Bag Backpack Personal protective equipment Font

Glasses Goggles Luggage and bags Vision care Sunglasses

·
Registered
51 Posts
@Whooshka - Very cool. You have me rethinking sleeping on the ground with that set up. Looks like you have everything needed, right down to the cards. The only thing I see missing is a book. And I gotta ask; what's with the extension cord? It doesn't fit in the camping scene.

Reactions: DesertBike

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
I'll often get a camp site with water and/or electricity. Cord is for charging phone, GoPro's, etc.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
I'll often get a camp site with water and/or electricity. Cord is for charging phone, GoPro's, etc.
When I camp, I like to take a Solar Power Bank that has a couple of USB connectors to charge my "stuff". It also has a built-in flashlight.

Composite material Gas Auto part Electronic device Gadget

Notice that I am staying with my preferred "Red" theme...

·
Registered
2016 FJR1300 ES
532 Posts
mortenk, is there a specific unit you’ve used in the past and/or would recommend for a double-car garage?
I have installed many brands, and they look suspiciously identical "under the hood" - to the point that I think they may all come from the same factories somewhere in Asia. So, I don't really care about brand names. What matters is getting the right size (like everything in life :)). Size is measured in BTU, and a general rule of thumb is 25 BTU/sq ft, and always round up. So, if your garage is e.g. 400 sq ft, I would go with a 12,000 BTU unit. 9,000 might do, but it's better to be safe and go up a little - especially as garages are often not insulated as well as interior rooms.

·
Registered
2016 FJR1300 ES
532 Posts
I'm fairly new to the FJR so pardon my ignorance when I ask why there is a need to help support the rear sub frame?
You can search for "broken sub frame" and you'll find some info. Basically, the OEM rack isn't designed for heavy loads on the back (like a top box). Over time the sub frame may break. You can avoid this by using a better rack, e.g. the Yamaha aluminum rack designed for the 50L Yamaha top box.

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
2,811 Posts
Spare wheel? Do you keep spares of both just so you can try different tires, or some other reason?
I have an extra rear with a MC tire for track days. Spare front is so that I can have a fresh tire for long trips and not have to change a perfectly good tire that has 1-2k left on it.

·
Registered
2015 FJR-1300ESF
327 Posts
I have an extra rear with a MC tire for track days. Spare front is so that I can have a fresh tire for long trips and not have to change a perfectly good tire that has 1-2k left on it.
Makes sense. I had a spare set of wheels for my old Vstrom DL1000 after I had a front wheel bent by someone dropping debris on the highway.

Would have been handy for tire swaps too. Could have put new tires on extra rims ahead of time, then swap wheels at leisure.

Did you get lucky on a set of used FJR wheels for a good price? Availability of used (but not trashed) Vstrom wheels has been all over the place. It always seemed way harder to find an intact front wheel than rear wheel for a spare set. Buying new would be super, duper expensive.

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
2,811 Posts
Makes sense. I had a spare set of wheels for my old Vstrom DL1000 after I had a front wheel bent by someone dropping debris on the highway.

Would have been handy for tire swaps too. Could have put new tires on extra rims ahead of time, then swap wheels at leisure.

Did you get lucky on a set of used FJR wheels for a good price? Availability of used (but not trashed) Vstrom wheels has been all over the place. It always seemed way harder to find an intact front wheel than rear wheel for a spare set. Buying new would be super, duper expensive.
Rear came with the bike, guy had one mc tire and one car tire for same reason. Front cost about $200 off eBay, fronts are a pain to find.

• Helpful

·
Registered
2013 FJR
48 Posts
I have installed many brands, and they look suspiciously identical "under the hood" - to the point that I think they may all come from the same factories somewhere in Asia. So, I don't really care about brand names. What matters is getting the right size (like everything in life :)). Size is measured in BTU, and a general rule of thumb is 25 BTU/sq ft, and always round up. So, if your garage is e.g. 400 sq ft, I would go with a 12,000 BTU unit. 9,000 might do, but it's better to be safe and go up a little - especially as garages are often not insulated as well as interior rooms.
great info mortenk, thanks so much!

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Dropped in a new battery. Last week it wouldn't start after sitting idle for about 10 days off the Battery tender. Took a ride yesterday and it was slow starting at 2 of my stops. Stopped in the driveway, got off to open the garage door and it wouldn't start again.

Dealer actually had the battery in stock. Yami is now using a brand other than Yuasa for the FJR. "Made in Taiwan, Technology from Japan". GS Gold Series AGM. Even has a Yamaha genuine parts and accessories sticker on the box.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,077 Posts
The parent company is actually called GS Yuasa.... the GS batteries are closest to OEM, whereas the Y series are aftermarket (perhaps made in PA).

Reactions: Whooshka

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
New to me 2014 so lots to do

Besides all fluids changed, new tires, rear brake pads, lube, I had to R&R mirror stay. I attempted to tig weld ear and reinstall. It worked as designed.

Fast forward today

Anyone install OEM frame sliders on gen III?

Do you need longer bolts or any additional hardware?

Thanks

·
Registered
2003 FJR1300 Liquid Silver
128 Posts
Air mattress and cot are each about the size of a loaf of white bread when packed. Neat stuff.

Pics below are of my gear and my gear in packing cubes. All fits into a waterproof 60 liter bag that I strap to the back seat. For some reason the cot isn't in the pics. This is the cot...

High Tech Ultralight Cot : Aerostich RiderWearhouse

View attachment 87224
View attachment 87225
Thanks for this post! I'd never seen a cot like that, so I researched it and found a $56 knock-off. I'm laying on it now as I type this on my phone.

They are fiddly to set up, but worth the effort. I sure wish I had it on the trip when I went to pick up the FJR.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 FJR-1300ESF
327 Posts
Finally got my Power Commander V hooked up to my PC.

Didn't fool with the settings, but at least I know that the thing will connect to my PC, the firmware's up to date, and what map is loaded.

I don't know enough of what I don't know to mess with the map yet.

Good thing I kept that one USB cable with a Mini connector. Sheesh.

2761 - 2780 of 2825 Posts