FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
2741 - 2760 of 2825 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
I finally broke down and did the R1 shifter mod this morning.
I like it much better.......but, at $97 Cdn, it stings for such a piddly part.
(I know 'bout wreckers and ebay.......I prefer new).

Reactions: DesertBike

·
Registered
319 Posts
Um, you have it on backwards ;) Should be like this so that the shift rod is inline. The R1 shift arm is offset so you need to install it the other way around.
View attachment 87207
It seems someone has it reversed. I test fitted that way.....didn't like what I was looking at, so didn't tighten anything up.
It works flawlessly......but I'm gonna switch it around (now...before the blue sets up), to see what happens.
Here's the part number I ordered for my MY'19...
Bumper Font Rectangle Motor vehicle Material property

·
Registered
2013 FJR1300A
718 Posts
I tried both inboard and outboard direction on my '13 and to ** ME ** it seems to work better inboard. Yes a bit finicky to install but do what ya wanna do.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I tried both inboard and outboard on my '13 and to ** ME ** it seems to work better inboard. Yes a bit finicky to install but do what ya wanna do.
Is it a bunch of trial and error getting it right, since you're tightening the hex bolt, then sliding it on the shaft, then tightening up the 10mm bolt?
Or is there a way to line it up, to get it right the 1st time?

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
2,811 Posts
Is it a bunch of trial and error getting it right, since you're tightening the hex bolt, then sliding it on the shaft, then tightening up the 10mm bolt?
Loosen up the jam nut on the shift arm side of the shift shaft - rotate the hiem 180 degrees, install the arm on the shaft - then rotate it back 180 degrees and install the shift arm on the trans, tighten jam nut back up.

·
Registered
2013 FJR1300A
718 Posts
I measured up from the floor to the bottom on the shifter and addressed it that way. Guess was lucky and only had to move it once and just 1 notch.

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
2,811 Posts
Mine is on the stock "notch" If you need to adjust the shifter position after everything is installed you just loosen the jam nuts and spin the rod until the lever is where you want it. Same way you would adjust it if you got boots with a bigger toe box.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Gotta love moto camping. Unfortunately, being allergic to mosquitos I have to tent it.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,690 Posts
Gotta love moto camping.
Hell no I don't! When I was young and gravity wasn't so strong, sure. Tent camped a lot, mostly to save money. I'm not wealthy but I've been smart enough with money that I get to sleep indoors sans mosquitos, with A/C, and with a shower.

But hey, whatever floats your boat!

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,077 Posts
RE: Shifter Arm - Split goes at the punched dot.... unless you got some big boots and run out of adjustment....
Partzilla U$53, not much happening on ebay.....

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Hell no I don't! When I was young and gravity wasn't so strong, sure. Tent camped a lot, mostly to save money. I'm not wealthy but I've been smart enough with money that I get to sleep indoors sans mosquitos, with A/C, and with a shower.

But hey, whatever floats your boat!
Oh I don't camp all the time. Only 2 nights on my spring 6 day ride. I motel it too. Something to be said for a hot shower and cool pillow. (y)

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
RE: Shifter Arm - Split goes at the punched dot.... unless you got some big boots and run out of adjustment....
This is how I installed it:

Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting

·
Registered
51 Posts
Wooska, You should try hammock camping. It's way more comfortable than sleeping on the ground. If you are not well over 6', you can lay diagonally in the hammock. At 62 yr it is the only way I'll "camp" anymore. If you get the hammock be sure to get the under-blanket and tarp too. These are the links to the set up I have and it rocks!

Get the 12' hammock. We compared it to the 11' and it's worth the $10

Under quilt

Tarp

This company has it together and it works really well. The only other thing you will need is a sleeping bag or good blanket. This is all dependent on where you will camp, but in the northern part of MI it can get chilly at night - even in the summer.
Gotta love moto camping. Unfortunately, being allergic to mosquitos I have to tent it.

If you try it I bet you never sleep on the ground again. Of course YMMV.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Tried a hammock. Prior back surgery and current fat ass make it very uncomfortable for me.

I've got a high tech cot and a quality air mattress from REI.

·
Registered
2013 FJR
48 Posts
I highly recommend a mini-split, which will both cool and heat your garage. It's super quiet and efficient, and it is easily installed if you know your way around tools (which most of us do). I have installed eight of these now for friends and they are all very happy. For a single unit system (e.g. garage), you can find it for less than $1,000 on Amazon. My last single-unit install took about 6 hours...
mortenk, is there a specific unit you’ve used in the past and/or would recommend for a double-car garage?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Makes sense that a hammock might be tough after back surgery. Amazed that you can get the cot and a good air mattress on the bike. Then again, looking at your pic I see you have an extended rack and the long-haul drinking system too. Like I said, YMMV. For me at 5' 10" and about 180 lbs. the hammock works great. And we all know it is not the camping, but the ride to get there that matters. =)

2741 - 2760 of 2825 Posts