FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
2721 - 2740 of 2825 Posts

·
Registered
FJR1300A 2008
2,069 Posts
Also repaired the coolant reservoir. It was cracked on top like so many of them. I liberally slathered JB Weld all over it. Seems to work well. Maybe I’ll leave it that way.
DrVanNostrand,

Unless you first cleaned the tank with denatured alcohol or better, I would be surprised if any epoxy would last long on the coolant catch tank. Even then, the flexing that cracked the tank would soon crack the epoxy. A wet layup of RTV and one layer of cotton cloth might last longer, and seal better.

No matter, really: the coolant catch tank is available new from the mothership, and it is cheap to buy.

Reactions: DesertBike

·
Registered
2006 FJR 1300
123 Posts
So pissed!!! Have to get new rear tire at dealer after coming to have inspection. Thinking all was good, they said rear tire wouldn’t pass. I only have about 3,000 miles on the Pilot Power 2 CT. That’s the worst yet on any tire I’ve had. 😡😡😡😡

·
Registered
2015 FJR-1300ESF
327 Posts
Last night, I started applying the Custom Taylor 33 reflective rim tape on my FJR. Got the front wheel done, doing rear wheel tonight/this weekend. I'll get a night shot if opportunity permits. Reflective rim tape is a fairly cheap and easy conspicuity upgrade I do to all my motorcycles.

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,690 Posts
So pissed!!! Have to get new rear tire at dealer after coming to have inspection. Thinking all was good, they said rear tire wouldn’t pass. I only have about 3,000 miles on the Pilot Power 2 CT. That’s the worst yet on any tire I’ve had. 😡😡😡😡
How did you do that? The rears last me 7-8000 miles, a once-per-year change for me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's not what I did. It's what the deer did to my FJR. Rounded a corner, saw 2 deer on the right edge, hit the brakes hard and moved to the left side. Of course they decided to cross to the left and I hit one. Sigh. That was the bad luck.
Then there was some good luck. I didn't drop the bike and no injuries. The deer didn't touch the front wheel or fender so no suspension issues. The impact was directly on the front nose which ended up resting on the front fender. This happened about a 100 yards from the only house I had seen in awhile. The guy kindly gave me some twine and duct tape to do a Red Green job on the front end. I was able to ride it home - about 500 km's. With part supply issues and the insurance claim process I will be lucky to get the FJR back on the road by Oct or Nov.
My wife suggested maybe I should find another bike to tide me over. I could always sell it later. Of course I agreed and I've made a deal on a 2014 VFR800 with 12,000 km's.
Lucky me.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Vehicle

·
Registered
2003 FJR1300 Liquid Silver
128 Posts
So pissed!!! Have to get new rear tire at dealer after coming to have inspection. Thinking all was good, they said rear tire wouldn’t pass. I only have about 3,000 miles on the Pilot Power 2 CT. That’s the worst yet on any tire I’ve had.
Pilot Power is a track tire. I bought one once for my 600 and wore it out in record time.
Great tire for the twisties, though.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,077 Posts
Rut Roh..... now he's got a VFR and he won't be able to sell it 'cuz it's a keeper.........

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,690 Posts
Pilot Power is a track tire. I bought one once for my 600 and wore it out in record time.
Great tire for the twisties, though.

There are several different tires in the Pilot Power series, just like in the Pilot Road series. The 2CT is my once-per-year go-to tire.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The one I remember was a 2CT front. It wore out a good bit quicker than the Pilot Road 2. It was more of an inverted V than the round PR profile.
It turned in quickly and had more of a side contact patch.
I got around 4,500 miles out of it whereas I was getting around 6,000 miles from PR3 and PR4.
Again, that was on a 450 lb YZF600R. I can see how the FJR would only get 3K.

·
Registered
2015 FJR-1300ESF
327 Posts
Finished installing reflective rim tape (Custom Taylor 33). It's amazingly hard to get it to look right, I have to re-position some of the tape on the rear wheel. It started raining though so I guess there's my chance.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Finished installing reflective rim tape (Custom Taylor 33). It's amazingly hard to get it to look right, I have to re-position some of the tape on the rear wheel. It started raining though so I guess there's my chance.
Pics, or it didn't happen.

·
Registered
2015 FJR-1300ESF
327 Posts
You might be surprised. The "black engineering grade" (actually kind of a dark gray seen up close with no bright light) is the same price as the other colors. About $35 for enough rim tape to do both wheels, plus a few spare strips.

·
Registered
2013 FJR
48 Posts
Started building aluminum brackets that will go under the mirrors on my 2015 so I can mount two PIAA's.
And the left bracket will also hold a Ram Ball for my GoPro.
Of course I'll take pictures of each piece.
b-bike,

just saw your post — did you ever get the brackets made for your PIAAs?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Went on a little camping overnight with my son. Went up the west side of MI (M-22) to Leelanau peninsula and then back down around the west side of Travis City. Rolled in to a camp ground about 7 and set up our hammocks (no tents), only to have two motor homes pull in next to us and start up generators. Packed up and left to find a place off grid. Successfully found a little two track in the MI National forest. My son checked it out on his SV 650 before I ventured in on the FJR. Set up the hammocks as dark set in. No fires, no noise, just wonderfully quiet, and dark. Here's a couple of pictures from when we got up in the morning. I think I'm going to change my wall paper. =)
Tire Plant Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Sky

Great fun and can't wait to do it again. Now, if only my wife would let by a second dual sport.

2721 - 2740 of 2825 Posts