FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
2621 - 2640 of 2670 Posts

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
10,772 Posts
On SOFT, Gen3 spring rate is ~651 lbs/in. ES is 685 but has preload adjustments. Adding a spacer just preloads the spring, but actual equivalent rate unknown. That would be a complicated calculation given 2 springs in series, and most wouldn't bother to find out.....
A 200 lb. rider needs an 800-850 lb/in spring.... on an aftermarket shock, a hydraulic preload adjusting collar usually has a travel of 0, up to 10mm. A 5 or 6mm spacer on a 650 lbs. spring would improve things for sure.

·
Registered
2013 FJR1300A
680 Posts
Ah yes I remember it now. I had contemplated doing this back in the day on my gen2 but never got around to it. Do you find it really necessary on the gen3 with the higher Spring rate? :unsure:
..."necessary"... can't say honestly. But at 230lb, to ME... the bike seems to ride better when solo.
I can really tell it's makes a difference when 2 up with shock on the hard setting.
Heck, with the low mileage shock, I could even end up removing the spacer if I feel it is too radical.

·
Premium Member
2008 FJR1300 A
161 Posts
With the help / advice of several members* I
Greased the brake pedal spline; changed
final drive fluid
clutch fluid
brake fluid;
did an oil and filter change
added K100 fuel treatment stabilizer (first fill up of the year... wanted any PMS water gone).
Brake / clutch fluid: Lucas Synthetic Brake Fluid Dot 4
Final drive fluid: Yamalube Shaft Drive Oil
Oil: Castrol Actevo 10W-40 Part Synthetic 4T Motorcycle Oil
Filter: K&N KN-148
*Shout out to:
rbentnail, OldJeep, finleysw, JJIIMM, RaYzerman, RiderJoe, jasonm., Bill Lumberg, Linton West, dan cooper, Whooshka, DGBone, natsmada4jr, JohnC, EricV, Back in Black, FastPappy

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
2,521 Posts
Actually rode it. I've been using the fz1 so far this year, but decided to take my wife out for a ride on the fjr. Sooooo, the really well built trailer hitch I bought was not meant for a car tire. Was fine until I started pushing some traffic circles and my wife noticed a burning smell. When we stopped at the tap room the center bars of the hitch were super hot. Tire had some rub marks but wasn't really warm. So it seems like the center bars will get cut out, and the hitch will get tied into the MMoto rack.
Automotive tire Bicycle tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Rim

·
Registered
2007 AE
205 Posts
Just got my Ohlin shock back from my suspension guy,GP suspension in Lewiston Idaho.Guy rebuilt the shock, PO had the rebound screw jammed all the way in and it had poor rebound qualities(as you can imagine) and needed gassed up as well can not wait to ride the bike with a rear shock that is working as it should.

·
Registered
2018 FJR1300ES/2022 FJR1300ES
3,432 Posts
Wheel Tire Plant Fuel tank Vehicle

(Cross posted)
Washed them both. Swapped the floorboards over to the new bike. Went to swap the heat/air pump leads to the battery of the new bike, and lo and behold, the dealer had (during uncrating and initial assembly) already installed a fused lead (SAE, but I already have a coax adapter) to the battery. How cool is that?

So I installed one additional lead, because I like to have two.

Later, FedEx delivered my bag “pucks”. Yamaha f-d up and deleted them from their program, relegating them to an accessory. The dealer, even though the bike doesn’t have (the supposed-to-be-included) bags yet, did not hesitate to order a set of pucks- despite it not being their omission. They declined to charge me for them.

Later, because my schedule is crazy right now, I called and asked if they would please ship them, if I paid for shipping.

I was told that Parts would have to call me, and asked if I was okay with that. I said sure.

Two minutes later, the parts manager called, said they had all my info, and they were shipping them at no charge, just not to worry about it.

Those pucks arrived today. So now I can have bags on the “old” bike and the new bike at the same time.

Good customer service and communication from Mountain Motorsports, Mall of Georgia, for sure. Props to Juan Reyes, his partner Eric, and whomever I spoke to in their parts department. In this day and age, for them to work together and rush me what was, essentially, corporate Yamaha’s problem, was pretty cool.

I’m quick to share a negative experience, so thanks for indulging me as I share a positive one.

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
2,521 Posts
Fixed my hitch tire rub issue. Added a special feature that I used to put on each roll cage I built. Still needs a little paint.
Automotive tire Bicycle tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Rim

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

Tire Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,576 Posts
A solo RTE to North Myrtle Beach, SC. About 360 on the day. Pretty warm down yonder, saw 89 degF on the display.

·
Premium Member
1,418 Posts
Oil and filter change. Ready for the annual spring ride. C'mon Memorial Day!

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,576 Posts
Rode a bit this weekend, about 600 miles in all including meeting Ken the HD Guy in Roanoke, VA for lunch yesterday. A new thing to me is this bluetooth doohickey -> https://www.taotronics.com/products/tt- ... h-receiver. I'm usually just an earbuds with mp3 person and use the gps with visual only. But with this and a Garmin XT I can listen to music from its SD card and get turn instructions too. Neat little thing to drop in a shirt pocket instead of the mp3 at times. I haven't used audio turn instructions often, probably not at all in the past 3 yrs, but it sure is nice having them when in unfamiliar crowded urban areas.

·
Registered
2014 FJR 2003 ZRX1200
99 Posts
Had to work Saturday and today. SO I rode it to work. I don't like to commute daily as the cagers are too crazy for my liking. Saturday mornings are different, same with today being a Holiday. Interstate there, backs roads home. Sunday I rode up to a local lake with my fishing pole. Caught a couple little fish then realized it was way too hot for me so I headed home. All on all made the best of a working weekend.

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
2,521 Posts
Went for coffee Saturday morning with the fjr and wife and then to the car show at the local motorplex. Then it got hot so we switched to the boat - fuel prices seem to be keeping the lake pretty empty even on a holiday weekend. Washed the fjr and fz1 up today and used the fz for errands.

·
Registered
2013 FJR1300A
680 Posts
Removed the N20307 screen and installed the cut shorty stocker for summer use. The VStream just not to my liking aero and wind wise, dig the smoke color though. It will be posted for sale this sweek.

2621 - 2640 of 2670 Posts