FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
2321 - 2340 of 2353 Posts

·
Registered
2013 FJR1300A
443 Posts
Let the FJR rest and took the GSXR1K on a "brisk" run up near Mt. Rogers to look at a 2004 skunk FZ-1.
FZ-1 was no where the description nor the photos he sent, so that part was a waste of time, but had a good rip there and back. Big "detour" on the way back over to 421, BRP for a minute, then off the mountain on 321 back to the house.

Reactions: Hogman63

·
Registered
2018 FJR1300ES
3,211 Posts
Put a new battery in it. Swapped on the Cee Bailey barn door, for comparison, after running the Aeroflow extra tall prototype for several weeks.

·
Registered
2014 FJR 2003 ZRX1200
31 Posts
Cloud Sky Mountain Plant community Plant

Cloud Sky Mountain Tree Natural environment

Changed the oil on Friday, did a 350 mile loop yesterday. North Carolina 226, to 221 to 70 to 80, BRP to Mt Mitchel, doubled back on the BRP to 80 again then headed south on 19, then north on 19(oops). It should have been a 300 mile journey but I went south on 19 when I should have went north. Took that over to 221 then to 194 and finally 181 down off the "hill". Left at 8 am and was home by 5. Perfect riding weather going and while in the mountains. Just a tad warm down in the piedmont. Good day to clear the ole noggin.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,255 Posts
This is a new one on me. Stopped for gas about 30 minutes ago on our way home and after noticed I was having a hard time moving my foot to shift. By the time I got home I could hardly get my foot to move on the peg. Had to work to pull it off the peg when I got to the garage. Guess I stepped in a blob of some sort of adhesive.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2020 FJR 1300ES
107 Posts
After throttle hand going numb after a very short period of time and left soon after I decided to get and install HVMP extra heavy bar ends. Read mixed reviews here on them here but gave em a try. So, installed and got in an hour ride today and surprised that both hands felt good after an hour. So, initial short test makes me think they helped some. I've had grip puppies on for months. I don't care too much for the looks of the small gap between grip and bar end but I'll take function this time. Need a full day test

·
Registered
FJR1300A 2008
1,840 Posts
After throttle hand going numb after a very short period of time and left soon after I decided to get and install HVMP extra heavy bar ends. both hands felt good after an hour.
Hogman,

You can also try Seafoam (first), mixed to label specs. It's magic stuff, but not instant magic; give it a few days to work. Then a Throttle Body Sync, the correct padded gloves (specific for you), and even a conversion to tubular handlebars (comfortable and smooth). I reject the idea that the numbing handlebar "buzz" is just something you must live with, on the FJR. The OEM handlebars are far too rigid, IMHO.

·
Registered
2009 FJR 1300AE
486 Posts
Actually yesterday dropped her off at the dealer. Decided to bite the bullet. After my recent health issues working in the driveway (no garage) is not working for me. Soon she'll have new shoes with Hawk's Head metal T Stems, rebuilt forks with Traxxion upgraded Spring kit. 😁

·
Registered
2015 FJR1300A
93 Posts
I was wondering if you guys with vibration/numbness issues are holding on to tightly, learned a long time ago to only hold on as tightly as needed (to prevent arm pump, mostly race conditions) I generally just hold on slightly, If I hold on a little more firmly than normal I do feel some vibration, not significant but some. I'm not saying to not hold on but maybe your holding on to tight.

·
Registered
FJR1300A 2008
1,840 Posts
I was wondering if you guys with vibration/numbness issues are holding on to tightly, learned a long time ago to only hold on as tightly as needed (to prevent arm pump, mostly race conditions) I generally just hold on slightly, If I hold on a little more firmly than normal I do feel some vibration, not significant but some. I'm not saying to not hold on but maybe your holding on to tight.
Mad Cat,

If the handlebar position is not right for the rider, it is likely that a rider is leaning too heavily on the grips, and a light touch is not possible. Ergos need to be correct first, for a relaxed ride.

Risers and angle plates give only very limited choices for hand positions, and guesswork there can be expensive. Tubular handlebars will give the most possible choices in hand positions, and they will also dampen any vibrations from the bike. ABM makes a nice FJR handlebar adapter, but you can spend more, or less.

@ hogman - Add to the list of handlebar vibration causes:
the exhaust system may have loose or missing hardware, and/or
the motor mounts may need a cleaning, and then the correct torque.

·
Registered
2020 FJR 1300ES
107 Posts
New bike. Have over 40 years on 2 wheels. All comfy cruisers. New riding position for me. All maintenance and TBS performed. Have 4200 miles on her now. Thought for sure it was the slight forward lean on the hands and wrists causing this. Installed 1" risers. Changing end weights has for sure changed the harmonics going through the bars. More hours in the saddle needed for sure. Addressing the butt with a Lamm seat coming for sure. Just wringing out the ergos on this beast. Great bike and glad I have her in the stable. Thanks for all of suggestions

·
Registered
663 Posts
The MV Motorad worked for me. Allows you to angle bars exactly to align with your wrist .
Had them for years now. No complaints

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
I finally got around to putting some Loctite on my saddlebag latch screws!
Mine took a T10 Torx security screwdriver ( I ordered the whole set as I wasn't sure of the correct size).
The needle-nose pliers held the screw while I applied the Blue Loctite (keeps it off your fingers while you re-install them).

Circuit component Pliers Brush Gas Electrical wiring

Motor vehicle Gas Machine Auto part Engineering

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,816 Posts
I find the left/right angle is the problem for me. It's not a natural straight wrist position. If you hold your arms out like you're riding, turn your wrists out about 15 degrees. I have the Heli bridge on the '13 but am looking into something else.

·
Registered
594 Posts
…moved it in the garage to swap with the other bike..lol. Then plugged in the battery tender.

Reactions: ReRose and Hogman63

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
9,316 Posts
Just to add to this thought.... I find many OEM grips are too small a diameter, and depending on throttle spring stiffness, causes you to grip tighter..... the fix, larger diameter grips.... Grip Buddies over OEM heated grips will conduct the heat and not absorb water. Other things you can do is wrap with bicycle handlebar tape.

2321 - 2340 of 2353 Posts