FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

2101 - 2120 of 2145 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Push the reset button on the screen “twice” . This will zero the one you have highlighted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
122 Posts
:cautious: I haven't read anything about "the reset button on the screen".
I think he means the reset button to the left of the tach. It's the lower of the two.

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,405 Posts
Owner's Manual Page 4-12....

·
Registered
'16 FJR 1300, '98 Shadow VT1100T
62 Posts
To reset the Trips - Your screen needs to be on the page that has the Trips showing... (I'm 99% sure the motorcycle has to be running)... then press and HOLD the Trip button (mine is under my TPS button on the left hand side)... the A Trip should start flashing... if you want to reset that one.. press and hold the Trip button... then to get to Trip B, just press quickly the Trip button to move to Trip B.. if you want to reset it.. HOLD.. otherwise, just press the Trip again. This may get you back to A, in which case I believe you just press the 'menu' button. (its been a while since I actually did the trip reset, so I'm going off memory). I can go outside and do it 'exactly' if you can't get it to work.

I'm not sure I have ever tried to reset the average Trip back to 0, but this may happen when you reset the Trips and I just never noticed. (I dont think I have that displayed on my menu pages)

·
Registered
631 Posts
Engine does not have to be running.

If you toggle to trip you want to reset, push reset(under traction control button on left of instrument panel)that trip mileage will start to flash. Push reset again and it will zero.
Continue same for other trips.
I think same for avg mpg reset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,350 Posts
I've given up & decided to carry a notepad to write stuff down. Seems no one can give exact, detailed, step-by-step, specific info that actually works. Think about it this way: you're trying to teach someone who has never seen it before. You can skip nothing, no matter how minor it may seem to you. And I did an ALL RESET so there's no point in trying any more.

·
Registered
62 Posts
rbentnail - I'm going to go outside and record how to do it and come back in and write the steps down for you

·
Registered
319 Posts
I thought about a meet and greet tutorial but if Russ is already THAT grumpy-fied and using pen and paper, I aint going near him.... HA !!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ok here we go! - 1- its called a 'reset' button (I said Trip, but I think I was thinking 'car'), 2 - motorcycle DOES NOT have to be running. Little Joe is a little more accurate that I was, by calling it a reset button and knowing the bike doesnt have to be on. Reset button pictured below. Its found on the left side of the Tach (I believe for models 2013 and up.. but could be all year models)

Picture of reset Fuel Avg (which I do have displayed, but had never reset it until today... was showing as 6.6L )

Your screen needs to be on the page that has the Trips showing...... then press and HOLD the RESET button (mine is under my TPS button on the left hand side)... the A Trip should start flashing... if you want to reset that one.. press and hold the RESET button (it will 0 out the trip meter)... then to get to Trip B, just press quickly the RESET button to move to Trip B.. if you want to reset it.. HOLD.. otherwise, to get out, just press the up/down menu button (same one you use to raise/lower the windscreen and same one you use to navigate in the menu options).

I would meet up, but I'm still in lockdown here in Ontario and I'm waiting for the 2nd gear recall parts to come in, so my FJR is just sitting under its cover for now. I am more than willing to walk you through it on facetime if you wanted.

Jon

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,350 Posts
Don't even get me started about facetime :mad:. I tried that shite one time one my phone. After 45 mins of not working I just drove to the damn dr's office. We tried again there but somewhere in my phone is a setting no one can seem to find. Trust me when I say I am technogeeky challenged. I have a terrible time with this crap. In all the pandemic time I've yet to even attempt doing any such thing on a computer. Thank goodness I have no school aged kids! Them little bass turds would be repeating whatever grade they where in. Maybe twice!!

I'm not grumpy! It's just that I get so frustrated trying to follow half-assed instructions like the owners manual. I changed several programs in my Ford F150 via OBDII so I know I can do stuff like this. But the manual seems to assume I know something about it and I don't.

Anywho, I appreciate the step-by-step. I've printed them out and when again I ride I'll give it a go. I did an ALL RESET to set all things back to zero. And here's a perfect example- don't do ALL RESET. It's not mentioned anywhere I can find but doing an ALL RESET puts all the information pages back to factory so you will have to reprogram what info you want on what page. Took me two times to figure out why I can't have the info I want where I want it.

·
Registered
2021 FJR
103 Posts
rbentnail, JK28 provided a good set of instructions but I do understand what you meant by “You can skip nothing, no matter how minor it may seem to you.”

In his instructions he said “...then press and HOLD the RESET button (mine is under my TPS button on the left hand side)... the A Trip should start flashing... if you want to reset that one.. press and hold the RESET button (it will 0 out the trip meter)...”

They question one might raise is that he said to “press and HOLD” and then to “press and hold” without including the instruction to RELEASE the first “press and HOLD.” I know this is trivial but it does address your issue.

But, I do applaud JK28 for going to the trouble and doing the work to get this done here.

Full disclosure, when I started teaching high school in the very early 1990s, I was charged with developing a technology lab for freshman. I had 10 computers and an assortment of software but virtually nothing when it came to instructions that students could use so I had to write those myself. I learned early on about the pitfalls of leaving out the minor details. In fact, I gave students bonus points when they discovered errors and missing steps. After a few semesters the bugs would be out of the instructions. Of course, as the software changed I continued developing the manuals, moving most of it to the web and even including embedded videos. If I hadn’t gone in to education, I may have ended up as a technical writer.

And, yes, the manufacturer’s manuals leave something to be desired.

Reactions: rbentnail

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,350 Posts
I often tell people under me at work that when teaching, nothing, absolutely nothing, can be skipped. Every detail, however small, every action taken, however trivial, must be explained.

A very specific question- if I have 2 different resetable items on the same information page, how do I skip the first one to reset ONLY the second one?

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,405 Posts
I often tell people under me at work that when teaching, nothing, absolutely nothing, can be skipped. Every detail, however small, every action taken, however trivial, must be explained.

A very specific question- if I have 2 different resetable items on the same information page, how do I skip the first one to reset ONLY the second one?
Same as Gen2 for example if you want to reset one of the trip meters.... quick press of Reset scrolls you to the next one, it flashes, then press and hold Reset for a couple seconds until it clears. If you hold Reset too long on the first one, you'll accidentally clear it..... I think this is what everyone's been trying to say...... hope that clarifies things.

Reactions: Little Joe

·
Registered
489 Posts
Put the big windshield on it in preparation for next week's trip. Tommorow will put about 140 miles on out to my folks place and back as a final shakedown before the 1200 mile trip Tuesday.

·
Registered
62 Posts

Sorry I wasnt online all weekend (Busy doing flooring in the basement)

I have updated the instructions below.

Jon

·
Registered
62 Posts
Updated with MORE specific instructions

Ok here we go! - 1- its called a 'reset' button (I said Trip, but I think I was thinking 'car'), 2 - motorcycle DOES NOT have to be running. Reset button pictured below. Its found on the left side of the Tach (I believe for models 2013 and up.. but could be all year models)

View attachment 79170

Picture of reset Fuel Avg (which I do have displayed, but had never reset it until today... was showing as 6.6L )

View attachment 79171

It is possible that your menu is set up so that you only have 1 trip showing that you can reset. If you press quickly and release the 'reset' button, the first re-setable (is that a word?) option will start to flash. My example below is how to reset 2 Trips that are showing on the same menu screen.

Your screen needs to be on the page that has the Trip/s showing...... press and HOLD the RESET button (mine is under my TPS button on the left hand side)... RELEASE the button - the A Trip should start flashing... if you want to reset that one.. press and hold the RESET button again for 2 seconds - release - it should still be flashing but it will 0 out the trip meter... then to get to Trip B, just press quickly and release the RESET button to move to Trip B.. if you want to reset it.. press and HOLD for 2 seconds - Release - it should still be flashing but reset to 0 - if you don't want to reset this one, just press the up/down menu button (same one you use to raise/lower the windscreen and same one you use to navigate in the menu options). to get out of the reset 'option'

If you want to leave the 1st Trip and only reset the 2nd trip...

After you have pressed 'Reset' and held it so the 1st trip is Flashing..... briefly/quickly press the Reset button. This will move the reset down to the 2nd one (now flashing). If you want to reset this one...press and HOLD the reset for 2 seconds and release - 2nd trip should be reset and still flashing. Press the up/down menu button (same one you use to raise/lower the windscreen and same one you use to navigate in the menu options). to get out of the reset 'option'

NOTE - If you are on the 1st trip (A Trip or TOP if you are like me and have both Trips on the same menu screen) and hold the reset button too LONG (longer than 2 seconds) it will reset the Trip you are on. This is why I suggested resetting the TOP one and leaving the bottom one, for the duration of your trip. By resetting the top one, once it is reset, you can press your up/down button to get out of the trip reset mode and you wouldnt have to worry that both trips will reset on you.

Side note - If you press the reset briefly/quickly you can jump back and forth from 1 trip to the other for hours or until you are bored. It's the HOLDing of the reset that allows the trips to reset.

Jon

PS - I'd take a video but I'm not sure how to post it without starting a you tube page.. . I could email/text you the video?

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,350 Posts
Thanks for the instructions! I went for a ride yesterday and found from piecing together other posts exactly what you say works. What had me confused is "motorcycle DOES NOT have to be running". I thought that this means "motorcycle must be off but key on" since while riding I still could not reset any values. As it turns out, the Yamaha Nanny had some input here. On the Gen2 the resetable values can be reset at any time as long as the key is on. This includes riding down the road. Yes, while moving everything needed/wanted could be done. Not so with the Gen3. It seems the bike must be stationary. I have not tried with the bike running but with bike off/key on, reseting works as you describe. This is a big change for me. I am used to reseting things as I was rolling along.

2101 - 2120 of 2145 Posts