FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

2041 - 2060 of 2161 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha FJR1300ES
25 Posts
I started mine the other day just to make sure the battery was still ok... .and maybe to hear her 'purr'... stupid recall... still waiting...
I feel your pain, man. Mine is collecting dust at the dealership while I too am waiting for parts to arrive.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Welcome but no need to inquire in this "what do you do to your FJR today " thread when you've already started another about the same topic.

·
Registered
'16 FJR 1300, '98 Shadow VT1100T
74 Posts
I hope you let it warm up completely before turning it off......
OH ya.. she was purring for a good 5 mins before I turned her off... I had both her and her brother (VT1100T Shadow) running at the same time... (hope my neighbour wasnt sleeping)... then they both cooled off before I put the covers back on.

Yesterday I just starred at her a little more... can't tinker with her until she comes back from her recall work. Her new seat, windscreen and highway pegs are staring at me like... HEY DUDE.. you going to use us??

·
Registered
325 Posts
Buttoned up from swapping the poo Sylvania halogen bulbs for spiffy LED units. Not too bad of a job actually. Nice difference ( in the day time so far ) and even got the orientation right first try for the low beam cutoff.

·
Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
558 Posts
I put these on yesterday:

I like the result!

·
Registered
2021 FJR
106 Posts
I decided to rummage through my upholstery left overs and sew up a seat pad for my 2021. I'd bought an industrial sewing machine some years back because I have a few old cars that really needed interiors and I figured that since the cost of having it done is quite high and I had so many to do, I might as well learn how. I get better with each job.

For the seat pad I used some 2" high density foam sandwiched between 2 layers of a yoga mat I got for $5. I used some Scotch 77 spray adhesive to add more foam to the rear of the pad and sewed up a muslin bag to contain it all. Then I sewed up a vinyl exterior shell to put it all in. To strap it to the bike I added straps to the bottom that go under the seat. The straps are connected to its mate with 3 layers of elastic.

It turned out well, feels good, and I can still touch the ground OK. Considering I spent less that $10, it was inexpensive to try. Tomorrow is a long ride and I'll see how it feels on that.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Wow, Vince! Nice work!! Yeah there are not enough upholsterers around anymore!! Better watch it or another career may jump up on you! LOL

Reactions: VinceInMT

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
I put these on yesterday:

View attachment 78849

View attachment 78850

I like the result!
And yesterday, I backed out of the garage, to go riding later... About mid morning, I went out to do something and I noticed that the dang decals had bubbled! WTF? I mean they were smooth as glass the night before. A couple hours in the sun and they bubbled...

I cleaned the area with Simple Green, rinsed it off, dried it, then wiped everything down with isopropyl alcohol, so it was clean and dry! And after application they were perfect!

So, now I gotta find a way to get all those air bubbles out without damaging/ruining the decals...

No good deed goes unpunished...

·
Registered
124 Posts
And yesterday, I backed out of the garage, to go riding later... About mid morning, I went out to do something and I noticed that the dang decals had bubbled! WTF? I mean they were smooth as glass the night before. A couple hours in the sun and they bubbled...

I cleaned the area with Simple Green, rinsed it off, dried it, then wiped everything down with isopropyl alcohol, so it was clean and dry! And after application they were perfect!

So, now I gotta find a way to get all those air bubbles out without damaging/ruining the decals...

Use a small sewing needle / pin to put a tiny hole at the EDGE of a bubble.
Use a soft rag to carefully push air out through the pinhole. Push, just hard enough so the decal doesn't rip / tear. If you get it right, you'll never notice any fix was done.

Reactions: skippy344!

·
Registered
538 Posts

The directions say to use your thumb to work them to the sides. That is how I did mine and it worked fine.

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,457 Posts
A great "squeegie" is a plastic body filler applicator with some female velcro wrapped around the edge........

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Use a small sewing needle / pin to put a tiny hole at the EDGE of a bubble.
Use a soft rag to carefully push air out through the pinhole. Push, just hard enough so the decal doesn't rip / tear. If you get it right, you'll never notice any fix was done.
OK, that is pretty slick, and low tech!!

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
The directions say to use your thumb to work them to the sides. That is how I did mine and it worked fine.
Yeah, I tried that, and now my thumbs are killing me! LOL

They look like water droplets! Lol

·
Registered
538 Posts
That is a lot of bubbles. I got 2 or 3 as I was putting them on. Haven't had any more pop up since then.

·
Registered
124 Posts
OK, that is pretty slick, and low tech!!
That's what they taught me.
I did a stint working with vinyl graphics & sign making, decades ago.

Reactions: skippy344!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Swapped the darkside rim and tire on in prep for my trip. Need to make sure the balance beads are doing their job before it is too late to balance a different way . Need to get a few miles on today since tommorow is a track/instructional day on the other bike.

·
Registered
'16 FJR 1300, '98 Shadow VT1100T
74 Posts
I didnt do anything to or with my FJR this past weekend... I called the dealer today.. they are still waiting on parts for the recall... Come'on YAMAHA!

2041 - 2060 of 2161 Posts