FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2013 FJR1300A
719 Posts
This past weekend I got to know the FJR a bit. I changed oil and filter. Found the thing has a K&N air filter and it was gunked up. I'm not a K&N air filter fan, so ended up calling 3 different Yamaha dealers and none had a stock A/F in stock. Neither offered to order one up, so I bought one from the inter-web. I removed the aftermarket lowering links and went back to the stock dogbones. Put the center stand back on and while there, the linkage bearings and related parts were inspected and greased. Put a stock kickstand back on as PO had bent the one that was on it, due to now removed lowering links.
PO stated ( and I experienced ) CEL light would come on at steady throttle above 50mph. PO said it always did that and he just put tape over the CEL. He read it was due to the PCiii and the O2 sensor being disconnected. So I got out the laptop and usb cord to find no map installed. Not a zero map... no map...nothing. So I downloaded the stock map with O2 unplugged. No CEL and runs quite a bit better. A good day but just started to rain before bath time on it.

·
Registered
2013 FJR1300A
719 Posts
Some good sleuthing there, Rumblestrip. A CEL always means something, after all.
Thanks, and code 32 from Diag. mode tipped it off. Before I went wire hunting, thought to check the PCiii map just for kicks.
As stated before, after loading the map, no yellow light and better running about.

·
Registered
2013 FJR1300A
719 Posts
Saturday, I washed last weeks commuting monsoon grit and grim off it. Checked and adjusted all the suspension clickies, as it never felt right the month or so I've had it....none of them were the same left to right. Shock was all wacked too. Later this week will install the Brodie ground harness, do the AIS removal and throttle spring unwind.

·
Registered
2013 FJR1300A
719 Posts
Burned a vacation day to catch up.
Throttle spring RE wind. Couldn't get settled with the decel delay after the unwind.
AIS removal. EZPZ
Brodie harness install. Not that bad actually. S8 was the struggle as tight quarters in there.
Cleaned inside all body panels while they were off.
Gave it a bath and ready for some miles.

Reactions: RaYzerman

·
Registered
2013 FJR1300A
719 Posts
Could be worth a try. Wheel removal ain't gonna happen by me, that's fer sure. Thanks for the idea.
My 2007 had the same problem with that rearward nut / clip spinning on one side. I removed the caliper and then could get needle nose pliers to hold it from spinning and get the bolt out.
Afterward, just bent the 2 tabs back in place so they would grab the fender and remounted it.

#6 is what you are looking / feeling for under there.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 FJR1300A
719 Posts
Rode the "new to me" 2013 home and made the '07 mad by parking the '13 next to it in the shop.
But it started pouting last week when I posted it up for sale. LOL

·
Registered
2013 FJR1300A
719 Posts
Rode the '07 to work and back Tuesday. Swapped the PIAA dual horn setup from it to the 2013 last night.

Rode the '13 today. Still impressed by the refinements on the '13. Electric cruise control is on point.

·
Registered
2013 FJR1300A
719 Posts
Sold the '07. Enjot it R.B.
Discovered a huge ole nail in rear tire of the '13. Pulled and plugged it so I could get home. 15 miles and flat again. re-plugged and nursed it home.
Removed the wheel to go get a new rear tire Tuesday. Pulled the driveshaft and greased the splines ( another one bone dry...ugh ) . Installed driveshaft and will install wheel with new tire Tuesday PM before the trip to the AIM Expo in Ohio.

·
Registered
2013 FJR1300A
719 Posts
Clicked on the Sargent seats I scored from a FJR owner at the AIMExpo in Ohio last weekend.
Spanking new SBS SP front brake pads arrived, so performed my MotoAmerica team spec caliper cleaning and then a lap around each face of the rotors with the rotor hone.
Perhaps a bit vain, but painted the silver colored wheel weights black on rear wheel, as dealer that mounted / balanced the tire didn't have black.

Got a breakfast run to Shatley Springs in the (finally) cool Fall crisp air tomorrow morning. Then some miles on the BRP and back for commuter car oil change and such.

·
Registered
2013 FJR1300A
719 Posts
Ride to breakfast was stellar. Me and the bike loved to cool air. Wife Inc not so much. BRP was jammed and packed. To the point of 1st gear and stutter stepping at some points. Hopped off and back down 321. It too was a mess with cars and campers. Bicycle "team" were 2 wide and about 10 deep and clogged the road for about 3 miles. Traffic backed up as far as I could see. Finally hit a short stretch when they experienced 1300cc's of raw Yami-Power. And of course, a couple of them had the nerve to flip us off. Now time to service the Civic.

·
Registered
2013 FJR1300A
719 Posts
Bled front and rear lines including ABS purge.
Bled clutch line.
Lubed brake and clutch lever pivot points as well as brake pedal.
Gave it a bath to rid the cold and rainy days of commuting.

·
Registered
2013 FJR1300A
719 Posts
Seems I sorta mirrored HeavyFoot.... mounted my recently scored PL backrest along with Comfort Seats that had about 1000 miles on them.
Cleaned rear caliper and swapped pads inside to out.

Reactions: rbentnail

·
Registered
2013 FJR1300A
719 Posts
Swapped pitted OE brake pad pins for spiffy new Honder ones. Repalced air filter. Took off fuel tank, T bar and heat shield getting ready for next weeks AIS removal, valve check and throttle body sync.

Reactions: N4HHE

·
Registered
2013 FJR1300A
719 Posts
Removed the rear shock. Carried it to work and removed the 2 main springs, helper spring, spacer and other parts. Gave all a good clean and lubed cables.
Put 'er all back together and added a 4.75mm thick spacer on the bottom of the main spring.
Gotta wait for a warm (ish) day to make some miles with Wife Inc. to verify if it helped the ride 2 up and with luggage weight.

Reactions: philharmonic

·
Registered
2013 FJR1300A
719 Posts
Sweet, this was what folks used to do to help with the too soft FJR springs. I tried this myself with my 03 FJR using automotive spring removal tools, but they didn't fit right and I was sure I was going to end up starring in the "1000 ways to die" TV show, so I gave up.
Yup, luckily there is an Ohlins service over on our sister companies side ( they do car stuff but shock rack the same ), so the spring removal / reinstall was no problem. And wash bin with plenty of SpeedSolv made it all look brand new.

Reactions: RaYzerman

·
Registered
2013 FJR1300A
719 Posts
Installed Givi 357 rack. Waiting for USPS to stop loitering with my V47 box that was due Wednesday but still "in transit within the USPS system" or whatever.

Still baffled that Givi hasn't corrected the spacers and holes on the 357. Still had to elongate 2 mounting holes a bit and add washers on top of spacers to "reach" the bottom of the rack correctly.

·
Registered
2013 FJR1300A
719 Posts
Working from home, so on my "lunch break" removed left side fairing and tightened all the coolant hose clamps.
None of those boogers were snug at all.
Gave left side of everything a good wipe down, wiped out inside of fairing and assembly was reverse of disassembly.
But dropped one of the black bolts into the engine area and still haven't found that pesky thing.

·
Registered
2013 FJR1300A
719 Posts
Swapped out the Sargent seats for Yami Comfort seats for a 3.5 hour tour test. Also Wife Inc and I alternated between new HJC Rpha 11 and Shoei X-14 helmets.
Nice loop from Statesville to Mocksville to Harmony to Salisbury and back to States Vegas.
Tons of bikes out "social distancing".

·
Registered
2013 FJR1300A
719 Posts
During my late lunch break while working from home, rode down to the pharmacy to pick up medicine for Wife Inc. before they closed at 1500.
Usual dude walks out in his hazmat suit and Tupperware dish, to hand me the goods, looks the bike over a second, and said.. "hmmpff... didn't know Yamaha made a R13... nice"...

LMAO all the way back home !!!

1 - 19 of 59 Posts