FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2007 FJR Black Cherry (as if there are any other colors)
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
So other folks will add on, but inside that service manual are some errors. Such as the 31 lb/ft oil drain bolt torque spec.
And the 36psi front tire pressure spec. 36 kills most front tires too quickly and makes the bike feel like riding thru mush. Most of us run about 40psi in the front which seems to be the magic number.
THAT is the kind of information I am here for. The manual is one thing but rider experience is another. I have had too many experiences where the "real world" and the manual diverge. Thank you for that!

·
Registered
FJR1300A 2008
1,993 Posts
THAT is the kind of information I am here for. The manual is one thing but rider experience is another. I have had too many experiences where the "real world" and the manual diverge. Thank you for that!
Racoonguy,

A good number for torque on the drain bolt is maybe half of that, 11 Ft/Lbs. is what the Final Drive plug gets, which is the same plug (only magnetic) into the same case material. Auto parts stores have bags of new 14mm crush washers - many import cars use them.
I will put in a plug (!) here for magnetic drain plugs, drilled for safety wire. Lotsa aftermarket sources, or DIY with a Yamaha FD magnetic plug and a tiny drill. Dumping the engine oil on the highway can ruin your day. Safety wire is the sure cure for that.

Reactions: Racoonguy

·
Registered
144 Posts
I will put in a plug (!) here for magnetic drain plugs, drilled for safety wire. Lotsa aftermarket sources, or DIY with a Yamaha FD magnetic plug and a tiny drill. Dumping the engine oil on the highway can ruin your day. Safety wire is the sure cure for that.
I am going to respectfully disagree. Stock drain plug is fine as the engine oil has a filter. And safety wire is overkill imho. In over 600k miles on FJRs and approximately 125 oil changes I only lost a drain plug once and that was my own dumb-assed fault. If I couldn't remember to torque it with a wrench from hand-tight, safety wire wouldn't of helped either!

To the OP: Congrats on the FJR and welcome to the collective. You have been assimilated. Lots of info here with lots of ways to empty your wallet. Put some miles on FJR and get to know it before doing too much.

Myself, the first thing I would add is a Vista-cruise throttle lock, then followed by bigger windscreen of choice, bar risers, and custom seat. Oh, and frame sliders for the inevitable drop! Also forgot to add: a fenda-extenda, radiator guard, and louder horns. See what I mean about the wallet getting lighter?

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,421 Posts
Hey gang.
Yesterday I purchased a 2007 FJR with 21k miles. I absolutely love this bike. I went from a 250 cc scooter to the FJR. Yep, just a slight difference in horsepower and weight.

As a new FJR owner, what should I expect?

Btw, I was told Black Cherry IS the fastest color.
As a new owner- as mentioned by others, good to have detailed maintenance records so "you know". Check out this thread for helpful suggestions, tips and invaluable reference material -> 2007 - the new build

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I am going to respectfully disagree. Stock drain plug is fine as the engine oil has a filter. And safety wire is overkill imho. In over 600k miles on FJRs and approximately 125 oil changes I only lost a drain plug once and that was my own dumb-assed fault. If I couldn't remember to torque it with a wrench from hand-tight, safety wire wouldn't of helped either!

To the OP: Congrats on the FJR and welcome to the collective. You have been assimilated. Lots of info here with lots of ways to empty your wallet. Put some miles on FJR and get to know it before doing too much.

Myself, the first thing I would add is a Vista-cruise throttle lock, then followed by bigger windscreen of choice, bar risers, and custom seat. Oh, and frame sliders for the inevitable drop! Also forgot to add: a fenda-extenda, radiator guard, and louder horns. See what I mean about the wallet getting lighter?
Thank you for the warm welcome. Yes, there are a bunch of "things" I want to do/need to do. First I want to get a few hundred miles under my belt before I start throwing money at stuff.

Yesterday I did my first freeway run (first ever on an FJR) and had the following observations:
1. Holy cow is this thing stable. I was averaging between 65 and 75 mph with a brief loss of restraint at 90 mph. It was rock-steady the entire time. Wind protection was good even with the screen in the lower position. I am not sure but I think the windscreen is aftermarket.
2. Speedo numbers a tough to see. Font is too small (or maybe my 51 year old eyes are the issues).
3. There is a TON of heat that comes off this thing. Felt like I was on my '59 panhead again except I arrived at my destination break-down free.
4. I have to get used to the pegs. Higher and further back than I would like. I'm 6'-3" so it's not the bike that was build wrong, it was my construction at fault.
5. The Corbin seat is awesome. I absolutely love it. I was only riding for a little over an hour but I can already tell.
6. Most importantly, I love the bike. It is more than expected in every category.
7. I am a little sad knowing there will be no other bikes in my future. The FJR is it. The pinnacle of motorcycles. The white whale. The elegance, performance, and comfort found in no other single motorcycle. I am done but happy.

·
Registered
FJR1300A 2008
1,993 Posts
Thank you for the warm welcome. Yes, there are a bunch of "things" I want to do/need to do. First I want to get a few hundred miles under my belt before I start throwing money at stuff.
Yesterday I did my first freeway run (first ever on an FJR) and had the following observations:
2. Speedo numbers a tough to see. Font is too small (or maybe my 51 year old eyes are the issues).
3. There is a TON of heat that comes off this thing. Felt like I was on my '59 panhead again except I arrived at my destination break-down free.
4. I have to get used to the pegs. Higher and further back than I would like. I'm 6'-3" so it's not the bike that was build wrong, it was my construction at fault.
Racoonguy,

2. I have the same problem. I mounted a cheap (Amazon, US$30) digital GPS speedometer, and I seldom look at the bike speedo. The GPS unit is always spot-on with the auto-radar advisory signs that they put up along the roadway.
3. There are two body panels which can be either in or out, depending on the season. Page 3-20 of the 2007 Owners Manual (Cowlings). They don't do much IMHO, but see if it helps you. View AND download:
https://library.ymcapps.net/library/om/contents/pdf/10/3P6-28199-11_02.pdf
4. You can get footpeg lowering brackets, and lower the foot controls to match (without parts). Unless you are dragging hard parts in the turns, they can help.

We have lots of ways to spend your money . . .:cool: Sometimes owners are selling these accessories; so watch the ads.

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,421 Posts
Unfortunately with the Corbin seat you can't use the HIGH seating position. Sounds like you need it. I suggest you start searching now for a seat adjusting bracket and a stock seat on the cheap before thinking about peg lowering.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Unfortunately with the Corbin seat you can't use the HIGH seating position. Sounds like you need it. I suggest you start searching now for a seat adjusting bracket and a stock seat on the cheap before thinking about peg lowering.
That is a good point. I do have the stock seat (original owner included it) but I don't think I have the bracket. I will have to look.

·
Registered
FJR1300A 2008
1,993 Posts
That is a good point. I do have the stock seat (original owner included it) but I don't think I have the bracket. I will have to look.
Racoonguy,

Owners here who are inseam-challenged often remove the seat bracket, to get closer to the earth. Post a request on the Wanted forum, and maybe somebody will have a spare one for you. Prolly available as a new Yamaha part, also. You can use the stock seat without the bracket, anyway, but the seat bracket adds an adjustment for you.
You might also find an aftermarket seat (available used), which may be made taller than stock.
Seat Bracket, Index #6:
Seat replacement parts for 2007 Yamaha FJR13AW

·
Registered
FJR1300A 2008
1,993 Posts
You can do that? How?
Gitbox,

Working from ancient memory, here . . . I would need to find my old seat bracket, to be sure. The sides of the seat bracket have plastic pins, which let the seat bracket pivot upward. I believe that you can pull one side of the seat bracket (at the pin) outward, away from the frame, maybe half an inch (1cm). Then the pin can be lifted out, freeing that side. Slide the seat bracket away from the free side, and remove the bracket. Lett me know if I need to find my old seat bracket, if you hit a snag.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey gang.
Yesterday I purchased a 2007 FJR with 21k miles. I absolutely love this bike. I went from a 250 cc scooter to the FJR. Yep, just a slight difference in horsepower and weight.

Someone lied to you,RED is the fastest color 🤪. Welcome from Salem Oregon

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey gang.

You can expect absolute reliability got a 2010 in 2017 12,000 miles on it have over 75,000 now and just change the oil and breaks, coming from 20 years of Harleys it’s blessing, and the silver ones are faster

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
You can expect absolute reliability got a 2010 in 2017 12,000 miles on it have over 75,000 now and just change the oil and breaks, coming from 20 years of Harleys it’s blessing, and the silver ones are faster
Interesting. Apparently ALL colors of the FJR are the fastest. :cool:

·
Registered
2016 Yamaha FJR1300ES
43 Posts
Welcome to this merry band of marauders! The more experience you have with your new toy/machine/companion the more you will love her. I do love that Black Cherry color however, I must advise you that the Cobalt Blue is the fastest.

Having all service records is a wonderful thing. You can also check with any Yamaha dealer or the NHTSA website to make sure any recalls were performed. As for that being your last bike...I'd almost bet that it won't be the case. Having been there myself; I bought a 2009 that I rode for three years but then found myself wanting the added goodies on the gen III bikes. The cruise alone is worth the price of entry. A word to the wise though: the 2013 had cruise but it was limited to 80MPH. For 2014+ they fixed that. The LED lighting is also wonderful and adds to the joy of night riding as well as being visible during the day. Plus on the ES models the cornering lights are just cool. The slipper clutch is very nice to have. It takes a little of the worry away from clumsy downshifts. The 6-speed trans (2016+) is kinda a wash. It's not a great improvement but it does make the RPM changes between gears a little smaller and highway cruising very slightly more relaxed. But there's that recall and an extra gear to keep track of. There are varying opinions but my recall was done without any hitches or after-effects.

They're all great bikes and, as you've already figured out, you have embarked on a journey/love-affair that will be life changing. Congratulations, welcome and ride safe!

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
10,628 Posts
Gen1's regardless of colour were the fastest due to their lower gearing. Then Root Beer.... so fast you never see one. Then Black Cherry. The Red ones were a little slow because that red wasn't the right shade.

• Haha
Reactions: natsmada4fjr

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
There is a factory recall on 2007s wireharness
Is there a way one can find out more about this recall? Also, the previous owners have some records on maintenance and upgrades but I didn't see anything about recall service. Is there a place I can run the VIN and see if recall service has been provided?

Thanks for the heads-up.

·
Registered
FJR1300A 2008
1,993 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Racoonguy,

Bring your VIN, and you can contact the Yamaha mothership directly:
Yamaha Consumer Publications
Yamaha customer service 1-800-962-7926
So this is what is listed for my FJR:
Rectangle Font Parallel Circle Pattern

I don't see a recall for the CCT. Was this a recall or just something discovered later that should be completed?

21 - 40 of 44 Posts