FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2007 FJR Black Cherry (as if there are any other colors)
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang.
Yesterday I purchased a 2007 FJR with 21k miles. I absolutely love this bike. I went from a 250 cc scooter to the FJR. Yep, just a slight difference in horsepower and weight.

As a new FJR owner, what should I expect?

Btw, I was told Black Cherry IS the fastest color.

·
Registered
23 Posts
What a jump in every possible way! Did your new FJR come from the original owner? Hopefully you have some service records so you know what type of services have been done and with what types of oils etc.
So much info here on this great forum...take some time and dig into it
Welcome and enjoy your new whip!

Michael

Reactions: Racoonguy

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What a jump in every possible way! Did your new FJR come from the original owner? Hopefully you have some service records so you know what type of services have been done and with what types of oils etc.
So much info here on this great forum...take some time and dig into it
Welcome and enjoy your new whip!

Michael
Full service records. The guy was 79 years old and kept great recorded.
Howdy. Welcome to the forum.

As the new owner of a used FJR, you should expect to change all the fluids - unless you know for sure that they have been changed.
That's good advice.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
10,628 Posts
If the original CCT wasn't changed, that should be high on the list.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
10,628 Posts
The original Cam Chain Tensioner was weak and prone to weakening. Design was changed late in 2007 model, has stronger spring. Was further revised a couple of years later. If your records don't show it being changed or if you physically look at it and it doesn't have a green or blue paint dot, then it's the original. There are some threads on the subject and a procedure to follow when changing it out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The original Cam Chain Tensioner was weak and prone to weakening. Design was changed late in 2007 model, has stronger spring. Was further revised a couple of years later. If your records don't show it being changed or if you physically look at it and it doesn't have a green or blue paint dot, then it's the original. There are some threads on the subject and a procedure to follow when changing it out.
Yikes. I don't seem to have a record of it being changed. Thanks for the heads up.

Is this something I can do myself or will it require a "real" mechanic? I am somewhat handy and have done some small-scale work on motors but have little experience with motorcycle motors.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Btw, I was told Black Cherry IS the fastest color.
Welcome to the Forum from MinneSNOWta! Actually, the Black Cherry is the SECOND fastest color. :giggle:

Reactions: Racoonguy

·
Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
954 Posts
Hi Raccoon,

Welcome to the horde! Be among friends!

There are Many good threads, here, on the Can Chain Tensioner! Do a search and read then All!

It is not terribly difficult, but keep in mind, that you are messing with the TIMING!!! You eff that up, and the motor is toast!!

The instructions we provide here, if followed to the letter, will guide you to a successful replacement.

For most of us, the challenge was where the damn thing is!! It is located on the top right rear of the motor, just behind the frame. Follow your timing cover up, under the frame and your will see it.

If you are not comfortable with messing with the timing, I would suggest you find an FJR buddy close to you, and you all can work in it together!

Might want to put your location, and your model, in your profile, so we can have a quick glance when helping you.

Let us know how it goes! But I wouldn't wait too long...

Enjoy!

·
Registered
2009 FJR 1300AE
641 Posts
Thanks. I believe this is the beginning of a love afair with the FJR. So far it's everything (and more) than I expected.
You have no idea. As time goes on you will see how true that statement is. Even those who have found fault with this machine have difficulty moving to something different as this bike does so much so well. One could be thinking of switching to something else and then you go for a ride and the love affair starts all over again. 😉

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Raccoon,

Welcome to the horde! Be among friends!

There are Many good threads, here, on the Can Chain Tensioner! Do a search and read then All!

It is not terribly difficult, but keep in mind, that you are messing with the TIMING!!! You eff that up, and the motor is toast!!

The instructions we provide here, if followed to the letter, will guide you to a successful replacement.

For most of us, the challenge was where the damn thing is!! It is located on the top right rear of the motor, just behind the frame. Follow your timing cover up, under the frame and your will see it.

If you are not comfortable with messing with the timing, I would suggest you find an FJR buddy close to you, and you all can work in it together!

Might want to put your location, and your model, in your profile, so we can have a quick glance when helping you.

Let us know how it goes! But I wouldn't wait too long...

Enjoy!
Sounds like a deal. I am very excited about things. It's nice to know there is a group of folks who share a similar passion and have most, if not all, the answers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You have no idea. As time goes on you will see how true that statement is. Even those who have found fault with this machine have difficulty moving to something different as this bike does so much so well. One could be thinking of switching to something else and then you go for a ride and the love affair starts all over again. 😉
This all started for me back in 1986 when I saw the FJ1100. I was hooked from then on. While I may have had a bike or two since then, I always had an eye for the FJ/FJR. I feel like I've finally come home.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Here is a great channel on YouTube...I have learned so much from this guy! Go to his channel.and search for FJR1300 and whatever you want to do to it. For example FJR1300 battery replacement.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
2013 FJR1300A
626 Posts
So other folks will add on, but inside that service manual are some errors. Such as the 31 lb/ft oil drain bolt torque spec.
And the 36psi front tire pressure spec. 36 kills most front tires too quickly and makes the bike feel like riding thru mush. Most of us run about 40psi in the front which seems to be the magic number.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts