FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Yamaha FJR1300
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, the bike finally died. I only rode it for 10 miles the day prior and the bike did not idle properly, not only could it not idle but every time I touched the throttle it would die. I ended up towing the vehicle back to the garage and the headache begins. Yes, I try adjusting the idle but no matter what I did, nothing change and then it would not start......Crap......
I should mention that I just purchased the bike on 24 August.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire

First thing of course was removing the fuel in the tank and then removing the tank itself, Good grief the amount of crud within was bad.

Water Hood Road surface Cloud Asphalt

Pulling all of the parts off to get to the throttle body was interesting in itself, if anyone can tell me why there is some type of goo on the intake tube flanges please let me know.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Cannon

Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Fluid Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Needless to say pretty bummed at this machine, It did not look abused and was kept in a warm garage (to my knowledge) unfortunately rust in the tank does indicate that the vehicle was not properly stored for the winter and probably sat in the corner for lord knows how long. I did not imagine that I would be drilling into the bike so soon and it probably won't be done in time for the riding season this year. I do have 3 other M/C's to play with but as all of you can imagine my disappointment with this machine is understandable.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Automotive tire

I will try and keep folks posted on this......:confused:

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,615 Posts
Crapola...... the stuff in the tank may have clogged the fuel intake filter at the bottom of the fuel pump, you'll have to remove it and clean it up. I don't know if any fines got by that, but two screws will release the injectors... pull those and check the filter screens on them. Should be able to re-use the grommets and O-rings....

Vinegar will mildly dissolve rust, slosh some around in the tank and ...... you could leave it sit full of vinegar overnight, then drain and rinse next day. There is a product called Evap-O-Rust that apparently works very well. Rinse with water, then isopropanol to clean up any residual water.

Map Sensor, black thing on top of the TB's, two screws to remove it and check the vacuum nipple and the hose for any crud..... can cause idling problems.

Have no clue what the goo is on the intake boots. Normally those are installed dry, perhaps the PO smeared something on there... I'd just pull them and clean all that up...... when putting them back in, just use a wee smear of silicone grease.

I don't know how far you're intending to go with this, but I don't see the need to pull the TB's off at this point. Never hurts to clean shit up though, up to you.

I'm not seeing a paint dot on your CCT, might be hidden behind that connector, check it out, if no dot, you'd be advised to change that out ASAP.

·
Registered
272 Posts
If there is rust in the fuel tank, there will be rust in the fuel pump. Good idea to remove and disassemble the fuel pump to clean it up. Will want to remove the fuel pump before putting chemicals in the tank to remove rust anyway.

Read this entire thread for fuel pump removal instructions and tips.
Fuel leak.... | FJR Owners Forum

The fuel filter sock is not available separately from Yamaha for the FJR, but it is available separately for some of the Yamaha 4 wheelers if it needs replacing.
OR look here.
2003-2019 YAMAHA FJR1300 FUEL PUMP FILTER / STRAINER NEW | eBay
OR here.
2PCS Gasoline Strainer Fuel Pump Filter For Yamaha motorcycle R1/R6 Yamaha FZ8 | eBay

The injectors have been stuck in the fuel rail for 20 years. My experience was the "O" rings disintegrated when the injectors were pulled from the fuel rail. Those "O" rings are stupid expensive from any of the Yamaha parts suppliers, and most likely on back order. Ray turned me onto these some time ago, and now I'm paying it forward.
FUEL INJECTOR REPAIR KIT O-RINGS FILTERS YAMAHA F150 OUTBOARD FOUR STROKE 150HP | eBay

And, Plus 1 on the Cam Chain Tensioner. Get that replaced if it doesn't have a paint dot. There are lots of threads on that subject.

dan

I worry that the person who thought up Muzak may be thinking up something else. - Lily Tomlin

·
Registered
2003 FJR1300R / 2007 Husq SMR 510
945 Posts
Well, the bike finally died. I only rode it for 10 miles the day prior and the bike did not idle properly, not only could it not idle but every time I touched the throttle it would die. I ended up towing the vehicle back to the garage and the headache begins. Yes, I try adjusting the idle but no matter what I did, nothing change and then it would not start......Crap......

View attachment 88025 View attachment 88026

First thing of course was removing the fuel in the tank and then removing the tank itself, Good grief the amount of crud within was bad.

View attachment 88027
View attachment 88028

Pulling all of the parts off to get to the throttle body was interesting in itself, if anyone can tell me why there is some type of goo on the intake tube flanges please let me know.

View attachment 88029
View attachment 88031 View attachment 88030

Needless to say pretty bummed at this machine, It did not look abused and was kept in a warm garage (to my knowledge) unfortunately rust in the tank does indicate that the vehicle was not properly stored for the winter and probably sat in the corner for lord knows how long. I did not imagine that I would be drilling into the bike so soon and it probably won't be done in time for the riding season this year. I do have 3 other M/C's to play with but as all of you can imagine my disappointment with this machine is understandable.

View attachment 88032

Beautiful Gen 1 though. Take your time and clean her up real good and hopefully she will last long after you forget this riding season. Pictures please! Hang in there, parts are cheap and the wealth of knowlege on this forum alone can get her fixed up and ready to rip.

·
Registered
2003 Yamaha FJR1300
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well, so far I have disassembled as much as I should this evening and here is what I found. Seems like there was work here done before. there were only 5 screws attached underneath the tank.

Automotive tire Fixture Gas Door Circle

The hole seems to have been wallowed out, my guess is the screw head snapped and there was an unsuccessful attempt to extract the rest of it out. Probably an oversized drilled or misaligned. There was no sealant or other material to cover it up and I did not notice a fuel leak when I ran the bike.

I did end up taking the throttle body off and will get that cleaned up, I will do a lot of repair/replace as I go along and will document as best I can.

Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Car Vehicle Automotive air manifold

Yellow Gold Gas Machine Auto part

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Engineering Gas

I thank all of you for the knowledge and support given, will definitely follow the words of wisdom here.

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
3,211 Posts
The goo on the boots looks like permatex aircraft gasket sealer.

Reactions: skippy344!

·
Premium Member
4,218 Posts
If there is rust in the fuel tank, there will be rust in the fuel pump. Good idea to remove and disassemble the fuel pump to clean it up. Will want to remove the fuel pump before putting chemicals in the tank to remove rust anyway.

Read this entire thread for fuel pump removal instructions and tips.
Fuel leak.... | FJR Owners Forum

The fuel filter sock is not available separately from Yamaha for the FJR, but it is available separately for some of the Yamaha 4 wheelers if it needs replacing.
OR look here.
2003-2019 YAMAHA FJR1300 FUEL PUMP FILTER / STRAINER NEW | eBay
OR here.
2PCS Gasoline Strainer Fuel Pump Filter For Yamaha motorcycle R1/R6 Yamaha FZ8 | eBay

The injectors have been stuck in the fuel rail for 20 years. My experience was the "O" rings disintegrated when the injectors were pulled from the fuel rail. Those "O" rings are stupid expensive from any of the Yamaha parts suppliers, and most likely on back order. Ray turned me onto these some time ago, and now I'm paying it forward.
FUEL INJECTOR REPAIR KIT O-RINGS FILTERS YAMAHA F150 OUTBOARD FOUR STROKE 150HP | eBay

And, Plus 1 on the Cam Chain Tensioner. Get that replaced if it doesn't have a paint dot. There are lots of threads on that subject.
Bookmarking this just in case,
Thanks, Dan

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
This sucks. As has been mentioned I'm thinking your fuel pump is clogged.

If I remember right isn't this the 20 yr. old bike with like 5K miles on it? Did it sit for a long time?

Not that it matters but if that's true it affirms my belief, and it's just my belief, that I like a bike that's been ridden with some miles on it.

·
Registered
2003 Yamaha FJR1300
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, here is the fuel pump in its un assembled glory, I used some old chopstix for the wedges to pull the apparatus apart and the "Wire tie" trick for the bottom nipple work brilliantly.

Black Gas Art Technology Space

It all cleaned up very nicely with the exception of the sock of course. I will use hydraulic rated O-rings for the reassembly and pick up a new sock from Ebay (Thank you Dan Cooper!!)

Took a few pics of the inside of the tank and honestly its not as bad as I thought, Will probably use the evapo-rust product and wash, rinse, repeat until completed.

Door Automotive tire Wood Gas Tints and shades

Cloud Sky Automotive tire Wood Art

Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Bicycle part Motor vehicle

The sandy grit on the bottom is the end result of me reaching in there with a rag and wiping off what I can reach, I managed to vacuum most of the grit out and it looks somewhat decent. I will probably WD40 the inside of the tank and store in a cool dry place until its ready for treatment and immediate reassembly.

·
Registered
2003 Yamaha FJR1300
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This sucks. As has been mentioned I'm thinking your fuel pump is clogged.

If I remember right isn't this the 20 yr. old bike with like 5K miles on it? Did it sit for a long time?

Not that it matters but if that's true it affirms my belief, and it's just my belief, that I like a bike that's been ridden with some miles on it.
The previous owner stated the bike is the 24th FJR ever imported into the US. I really don't have a way to verify this, I asked if the mileage is accurate at 5,540 miles and he said yes. Rode it for a bit then just shoved it in the corner of his garage. Only some scratch marks on the tank and left side from boxes and such piled on it. I love all machines 2 and 4 wheeled and doing stuff like this only makes me appreciate them more.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Obviously you're not afraid to wrench. Good for you! I'll bet you'll get it all sorted out real soon.

·
Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
1,302 Posts
Billybop, these FJRs are truly amazing machines! Since it is obvious you have mechanical skills, you Will be able to sort out the issues causing your problems.

And once you do, you are going to have thousands of fun miles to report on that bike!!

I look forward to your successes!

·
Registered
2003 Yamaha FJR1300
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Billybop, these FJRs are truly amazing machines! Since it is obvious you have mechanical skills, you Will be able to sort out the issues causing your problems.

And once you do, you are going to have thousands of fun miles to report on that bike!!

I look forward to your successes!
Thank you!!
Wealth of knowledge here is clearly already advancing my progress faster than expected for example....

Automotive tire Automotive design Rim Bumper Auto part

I would have never known about this little gem until a few FJR members mentioned it.....

·
Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
1,302 Posts
Concur, Billy!!! These folks here... I mean. Wow!! All so nice and so, so knowledgeable about not just FJRs but so many bikes!!

And Yikes!! Yeah, get that thing swapped out ASAP! LOL

There are many writeups here about swapping that thing out!!

·
Registered
2003 FJR1300R / 2007 Husq SMR 510
945 Posts
Thank you!!
Wealth of knowledge here is clearly already advancing my progress faster than expected for example....

View attachment 88080

I would have never known about this little gem until a few FJR members mentioned it.....
Mine was $110 from PZ a few months ago and I would assume they are going to get to $200 soon if Brandon is still running amuck.

Also some good tips here on how to get that bottom bolt out and back in easier.

·
Registered
36 Posts

View attachment 88028

View attachment 88029

View attachment 88032

View attachment 88028

View attachment 88029

View attachment 88032

I will try and keep folks

1 - 20 of 85 Posts