FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

BT 020 vs Avon Azaro Mileage

• Bridgestone BT 020

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Avon Azaro AM 45/46

• Other

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have put 10,000 miles on the 020s. Rear still has what looks to be a good bit of tread left (I use the old "tread is deeper than the gap from the top of a penny to Lincoln's head" as a rough gauge). Front is cupped but still shows a bunch of tread.

I will replace these with Avons (at $400 the pair :shock: ). My concern is, is there enough left in these tires to get another 2,500-3,000 miles out of them? I have to take a trip up to western PA via Baltimore and that's gonna be a few miles. I hate having to stop for tires while on the road, especially when I plan on using a tire many dealers would have to special order (at least that's how it is around here). Any thoughts???

·
Registered
113 Posts
Acmemfg wrote I have put 10,000 miles on the 020s. Rear still has what looks to be a good bit of tread left . I have 9400 miles on my '05, just installed my third rear tire. now my question is am I riding wrong or what. maybe I could use some riding tips. ride safe. 8)

·
Registered
113 Posts
@Acmemfg - You'll really notice how bad the front was when you change it. BT-020s just wear that way, (cupping).

As to the rear, having gotten 10k or better on a regular basis, including a couple sets of BT-020s, I would say no, you're pushing the envelope on getting another 2500-3k from that rear. Probably more like 1k-1500. Bt's wear faster at the end and can be deceptive.

$400 for a pair of Avons? You can buy them online for closer to $220 for both! If you're including M&B and the dealer removing the wheels from the bike and re-installing them, well I can see how it adds up, but still, kinda high for a pair of tires. The only time I got quoted that price on a pair of tires the shop wasn't able to buy Avons directly and had to go through someone else at retail to get them. (Not that they told me this up front, "sure, we can get those").

@Starwolf - Don't sweat it, your riding style is simply more agressive. The wrist is the main issue, but your road surface and normal riding temps will also impact wear.

People that get 10k from a rear tire are smooth riders that don't whack the throttle from a stop or threashold brake a lot. Matter of fact, we don't brake a lot period, while riding the twisties. Most of the time if you see my brake light, I'm stopping.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
It all depends on the twisties and the riding style. I don't brake for corners either... but I've balded 020s in 2400 miles. Tire wear in a few days in the Ozarks is like tire wear on track days.

And I've found the FJR itself is NOT the culprit in tire wear. The 100-pounds lighter Ducati - and 200-pounds lighter R1 eat the same kind of tires in the same number of miles, under the same use. That was an interesting find, for me.

:)

·
Registered
181 Posts
I had a scary experience with BT 020s last week.

Both tyres was worn to the legal limit, the rear one was below the limit but still looked fairly OK(-ish). Had a 200 mile trip to do and the bike booked in for new tyres in the afternoon. When I arrived at the tyre shop there were NO rubber left at all anywhere in the 1" of the centre around the rear tyre, even the cord looked worn. :shock:

BT 020s? If in doubt change them out.
:ale:

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
The Viking said:
When I arrived at the tyre shop there were NO rubber left at all anywhere in the 1" of the centre around the rear tyre, even the cord looked worn. :shock:
What kind of a moron lets his tires go on that far past the limit? :lol:

Yeah, it seems the 'stones rate of wear increases as tread depth nears the cords.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Avons will be on next Tuesday. Thanks for the input. Also found a local shop that will do the job for $330 (M&B) plus tax. That I can live with. :D

·
Registered
260 Posts
ArRTire Wear

Amen to the tire wear on Arkansas roads. This spring, I had to buy a rear on the way down and a front on the way back. All they had in Harrison were Pilot powers-should be good for 2-3,000 miles. If I lived down there, I'd need so many tires I couldn't retire until casket time. Looking forward to the next trip though! Ian, Iowa

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not so sure about all of that. Although I live in Florida I have a cabin in Tennessee, near the GA and NC state lines, close to some of the best technical roads in the east (yeah, yeah, about 30-45 minutes from "Squid's ...er.. Deal's Gap") and the FJR gets some serious quality time up there (no...I-75 notwithstanding, I RIDE it up there). Even after extensively flogging the roads up there for extended periods, I still got decent tire wear...just lucky perhaps. :D

PS...looking for a great vacation get away in the area that doesn't cost an arm and leg? PM me for details :wink:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Max life of an 020

Just changed my rear 020 again after 4000 miles, probably only 3-400 miles left before the wear indicators showed it was needed, but had to change before a European trip. There was no way I could have got it to 5,000 never mind 10,000.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I got 8,500 out of the rear, front still OK (9,500).

The rear was very flat over the width, just not many twisties on my way to work plus I too much a chicken to lean over THAT far :roll:

Once it was changed, the whole bike felt more secure and cornering definitely felt safer.

So you can get a load of miles out of the tyre but it comes a time when the ride is suffering and it has to be changed.

My 2 pence worth

Leigh (LSD)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Tyre Wear

Hi All,

Just a personal opinion from me - I'm on my second FJR and have ridden with Metzlers, 020's, Avons and Dunlops. 020's are the best wearers and give the best peace of mind in the wet.

Rossi I aint but I do enjoy a wee sratch now & then. Anyone who gets more than 6,000 from 020's is an ultra-conservative rider!

Regards, Glenn. 8)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Re: Tyre Wear

Fujartoptourer said:
Hi All,

Just a personal opinion from me - I'm on my second FJR and have ridden with Metzlers, 020's, Avons and Dunlops. 020's are the best wearers and give the best peace of mind in the wet.

Rossi I aint but I do enjoy a wee sratch now & then. Anyone who gets more than 6,000 from 020's is an ultra-conservative rider!

Regards, Glenn. 8)
Welp, that'd be me! 8k on my 020's w/at least another 2 left in em. Most of my riding is commuting to and from work.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Acmemfg said:
I have put 10,000 miles on the 020s. Rear still has what looks to be a good bit of tread left (I use the old "tread is deeper than the gap from the top of a penny to Lincoln's head" as a rough gauge). Front is cupped but still shows a bunch of tread.
Wow 10k miles, I've just got up to 5,700 KM on my '06 and the rear is well past the wear/change mark, the front is close to it. The wear on the rear is concentrated on around 65% of either side of the center line. A lot of the riding I do out here is up in the mountains with nothing but twisties 8) This wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the fact that the bike (and tires) is only 6 weeks old :crylarf:

I'm still on the OEM BT020s, have ordered a pair of Pirelli Diablo Stradas as replacements, can't wait to get them on the FJR.

·
Registered
247 Posts
JamesK said:
I'm still on the OEM BT020s, have ordered a pair of Pirelli Diablo Stradas as replacements, can't wait to get them on the FJR.
I just changed the rear Strada that I had fitted new when I collected the bike. ......... 11,000 km later. Many more than I ever got out of a 020 on my VFR. I really rate these tyres :ale:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Shakey said:
JamesK said:
I just changed the rear Strada that I had fitted new when I collected the bike. ......... 11,000 km later. Many more than I ever got out of a 020 on my VFR. I really rate these tyres :ale:
Shakey thanks for the update. I had the Stradas fitted this Saturday afternoon, since there wasn't much left after the Sat ride, will let people know my impressions of these tires once I get a chance to give them a workout. One thing you can see easily is that there is a noticeable difference in the tire profile b/w the BT020 & the Stradas. The Stradas are noticeably less "square"...

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have always been a Bridgestone man ,best tyres made ,BUT, on the FJR dont like the way thay wear especially the front . So for me the next pair will be Michelin Pilot Road. I do 24k miles a year so longevity is fairly important but I ride through the winter so they must be good in the wet as well. I would go for Avons but am not taking a chance on getting low speed weave ,especially as I filter a lot on my commute to work.

If its the right decision I will be chuffed but your guess is as good as mine 8)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Tontofjr said he will install Michlin Pilot Road's next. I just had them put on my bike, only have about 500 miles on them, but so far I like them fine and a big part of using them was to get a little better milage, haven't ridden them in the rain yet. ride safe 8)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Had Michelins..didn't care for them at all. It was to me a sluggish handling tire that kind of "plowed" through turns. The BT020 however is much quicker handling, especially in tight stuff. Just brought the bike home from the shop all shod with new Avons....put it up on the centerstand; wheel weight fell off :x That can't be good. So...back to the shop after the storm passes and waste another hour or so having them rebalance the wheel.....egad!

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
I didn't like the Michelins all that much either. They weren't bad, just didn't feel as grippy as the 'stones and were slow steering. I liked the Metzeler Z6's and will be trying those again after my current set of OEM 020's wears out.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.