FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evidently, the '06 FJRs are arriving. We will soon know whether the "new and improved," FJR with it's linked brakes and +50lbs is still the darling of our hearts. Has it become a touring queen or does the heart of a beast remain? Inquiring minds want to know.

Personally, I have voted with my wallet. Wilbers shock, RaceTech forks mods, heat control and Power Commander. Last week a group of us made a 1K trip to Death Valley(and survived to tell the tale). The classic bike is a treat at speed and still fun in the twisties.

I had hoped Y would have taken 50lbs off the bike, not added. In their wisdom, they seem to have determined that the softer side will sell the best. Believe me, if I am wrong and the "new bike" is an improvement, I will be happy to get in line. Meanwhile, the Classic FJR rules!

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
Pretty sure Bagstr was just rounding up... but it's about 45 pounds from the lightest '04s, lightest '05s (nonABS models) and ONLY '03s... to the lightest '06.

I got what he was saying, tho. Anybody trade 'up' from a '69 to a '70 GTO? I love the '70s, but they weren't '69s.

I'll bet the '06s are great, I just don't like any motorcycle getting heavier.

When I traded-in my 'liquid silver' '03, for my new blue '05... I chose the non-ABS strictly on weight. Not saying ABS isn't good... in fact I dropped the '05 in some invisible sand at an intersection because I didn't have ABS. Thankfully, the R&Gs did their thing, and I had a hardly-noticed scrape on the mirror and in the corner of the fairing.

I was dreaming that the '06s would be 20 pounds lighter, have ten more horses, AND have non-linked ABS. Then when the bubble was popped, I thought, "oh well." Plus the expectation that I was supposed to think electric shifting was worth ten minutes of R&D... that just turned me purple. I've talked to Bob Starr at Yamaha, and he just chuckles... but he said he's heard it a lot. (bet he hears a lot of everything) Oh well.

Then I told him, "but I love my R1! How about making it up to me by offering an R1 in yellow and black, with Ohlins and a slipper!" (kidding about that last part)

:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.