FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I correct in assuming that (at least here in the US) that service does not have to be performed by a dealer for the bike to remain in warranty?

I am sure many of us are quite capable of servicing the vehicle and documenting what was done and when. Sure beats a $250 oil change!

Anyone know differently?

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
A lot of us '03ers thru '05ers did our own first services... maybe a majority of us. I never heard of an issue or threat of warranty ramifications.

1) Change the oil and filter, 2) change the final drive gearbox oil (the FJR-specific stuff is like 30 bucks a pint, but I was afraid to deviate), and 3) throttle body sync (I found the $30 Motion Pro economy synchronizer very easy to use and have used it on many other bikes - there are great instructions on FJR sites)

Did I miss anything?

That's what I did on both FJRs... and they both ran like a clock. Neither my '03 or my '05 ever saw the inside of a dealership (nor my FZ1, ST1100s, R6, or R1s) until I traded the FJR for a sportier sport-tourer.

Now if my Ducati could just do that never-see-a-dealer trick. ;)

:)

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
gr8eyes said:
Ducati at the dealer?
Oh yeah. They just love dealerships. :roll:

They even have a little light that comes on at service intervals, and only the dealer's megabucks machine can reset it. The bike seems very easy to work on... but tensioning belts and doing my own desmodromic valves every 6000 miles is just a bit over my head. Sure is fun to ride, though... as long as the letter 'I' isn't at the beginning of the number road you're on. ;)

:)

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Liquidsilver said:
2) change the final drive gearbox oil (the FJR-specific stuff is like 30 bucks a pint, but I was afraid to deviate)
I can't recommend it, but through ignorance I used standard Yam shaft drive gear oil on my '03 FJR for over 23,000 miles (some very spirited) with zero trouble. All other stuff was done by me. I never had a warranty claim so I can't say if it would have been a problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts