FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I know this is in the wrong place, but had no idea where to post it...

I am trying to tell anyone I know about what has happened to us in the last 24hrs....

If you read nothing else today, please read this... We have had taken from our bank account 2 large sums of money in the last 24hrs. We have put a hold on the account and hopefully we will get out money back.

It was done via internet banking, would appear they have logged our keystrokes and simply logged into our account and transferred the funds... Just like we would normally... Luckily the bank rang this afternoon to confirm one of the transactions, because of the amount involved... That is when we found out...

Those who know me, also know I have been in the IT industry for many years, and I can assure you I have everything available to ensure this would not happen... It did. So if it can happen to me, rest assured, it could happen to you....

Please be vigilant.
:oops:

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
This is done by changing the keyboard on the PC with a extra chip built in, mainly in the workplace and it registers every keystroke.

So the moral is to all dont do your internet stuff from work. :cry:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Atlas,

We've got a ride coming up soon mate...."If you want me to shout you a few cups of coffee along the way you could have just asked me mate!!!"

In all seriousness now :( Thats bloody terrible mate!!! I hope that you get this sorted out and get your funds back very soon. It's pretty good that the bank is on top of it pretty soon I guess? I've had the same sort of dodgie credit card and visa card shit happen to me whilst on a trip to Malaysia and also in Hawaii.
I think the mistake the crooks make is that they get greedy and try and pull all the money out at once :twisted:

Bloody Internet crimes!!!! Bring back public stonings and floggings :cry: Whats the world coming to????

P.s. "I'll shout you a coffee anyway mate....Cause you're an Ex-Framie :ale: and you ride the best bike in the world" Hope to see you next weekend mate!! with all your loot back where it belongs...

Moose :wink:

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
woody said:
So the moral is to all dont do your internet stuff from work. :cry:
But all our business banking is done from work!

I thought it was software/malware driven, but I just spend money, I don't know how to keep it :oops:

Atlas, thank you for the heads-up. I hope it gets sorted real soon. I have noted that 2 of the 4 banks I deal with now use 'virtual keypads' on the screen to just 'mouse click' on passwords or PIN's. One has a 'rolling numeric keypad' and the other a standard qwerty keyboard.

·
Registered
88 Posts
There's loads of "Free" software out there that's got key stroke loggers, spyware, even some activeX bits from web sites and I've heard of certain picture types can have code in them, it just takes access to the "wrong" site.

Firewall/virus software only play the catch-up game so you may have a trojan and not know about for a while, plus some modify virus scanners so that they don't work anymore.

Only secure way is not to use the Internet, (No FJR site, no way :x )

My bank uses three alpha/numeric drop down menus where you have to select parts (changes each time) of a know code word, so any keyboard/mouse logger does not work.

As in old a US cop show :? "Be careful out there"

LSD

·
Registered
307 Posts
Thanks for the info Atlas. Must have been a horrible feeling when you found out, especially given your precautions. This is the way the financial institutions want us to do our banking and they can't get it right at their end, pretty sad.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the kind words...Well no money back yet, but signs are good it will be returned...

They traced it to a Westpac account, but who knows where it leads from there...

Besides the money the sheer inconvinience is really frustrating, we had to cancel our cards, its end of month and we can't pay the bills in the usual way, via internet banking, it is just painful....

Assuming we get our $$ back are we going to stop using internet banking ? No, can't see it, just to convinient... We will probably have another PC though, soley for that purpose.

We have done this for years, so we have been pretty lucky I guess. Funny the floating keypads etc are mentioned, my credit union had them years ago, I hated them, and so must a lot of other people as they soon got rid of them... That was before the days of 'keyloggers'.. I can suddenly see their value !!

Anyway, will have enough $$ for next w/e, am looking forward to catching up with you all then :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Atlas - sorry about your misfortune. Hope your funds are returned and the perpetrators recieve the public caning they deserve.

@LSD That would be Hill Street Blues.

It is most unfortunate, but I suspect that most computers have the keystroke loggers built into them at the factory. A bit of flash memory, and the government doesn't really care how good your cryptogrophy is; they have your passphrase. Before you decide I'm just paranoid (arguably possible; but just because I think they're out to get us doesn't mean they're not), when is the last time you built a computer and knew what EVERY component was for and exactly what it was capable of? .5 gig of L2 cache on the CPU? Put there specifically for storing commands. Make a bit of it non-volatile... When is the last time a government was unable to prosecute because the incriminating evidence was so well encrypted that they were unable to get it? The math says it shouldn't be possible to recover data, but the police/feds do. There is a way around the cryptogrophy.

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
Hey Wess, there's a black helicopter over your house. :crylarf:

:)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Sorry about that Atlas.
A real concern for all of us.
My only saving grace is we have so little in the account they would feel sorry for us and maybe put sone in. :roll:

Anyway we must catch up again soon.
Best Wishes
Wayne (Belly)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts