FJR Owners Forum banner

Warm idle dropping and then stalls

4K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  rbentnail 
#1 ·
Hello Folks,

Still in diagnosis mode. But I noticed something that I just have a few questions about.
On the fuel rail, there is a crimped valve of some kind. It has a screw and O-ring coming out of it.
It pulses when the bike is running.
WTF is that and should the screw be all the way it, so the O-ring is compressed? Mine is out enough that I can see the O-ring completely and it can slide up and down on the screw.

Here is a drawing of what I am talking about:
Gesture Cartoon Font Finger Thumb

See less See more
#2 ·
Here is an actual pic.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Vehicle

#4 ·
Yes, I think so too. But I wonder if it can fail?

#5 ·
Have you tried turning that screw? With the bike running?

#6 ·
Buffering device. No need to adjust nor is there a procedure. Don't break it or you need a new fuel rail...
Fuel pressure regulator is part of the fuel pump assembly in the tank... except on Gen1.

#7 ·
Yes, I did play with the idle adjustor. It did not improve the performance. Unrelated but I bet this doesn't help air metering...
Motor vehicle White Automotive tire Automotive design Headgear

• Wow
Reactions: bounce and Whooshka
#8 ·
I have another air box on the shelf. But I pulled the TBs, so they are gonna get a cleaning.
Vehicle Fuel tank Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive fuel system

I will check all the houses too.

#9 ·
Greg, it might be a good idea to send your injectors to someone that specializes in cleaning and balancing the injector flows while you have them out. A dirty/sticky injector will play havoc with how your motor runs. Someone here may have someplace that they can recommend. What exactly is the problem here?

the bad boot on your airbox certainly isn’t a good thing but shouldn’t really affect how it runs, just won’t keep dirt & critters out. Let us know what you find.

Reactions: skippy344!
#10 ·
Thanks, Steve!
So, I did the injector 5 times pulse test and they all sound really good. Also pulses the fuel pump relay. Also solid. I am gonna pull the injectors from the TB and give them a look.
This is how my fuel looked coming outta my tank:
Handwriting Font Gas Tints and shades Wood

That's a white athletic sock. The tank is so clean, you can barely tell the sock is wet!

I am thinking fuel pump... Gonna see if I can borrow a fuel pressure gauge today.

#12 ·
Greg, don’t forget that it’s not just pressure but the volume as well, the fuel filtered through that sock is pretty clean, so I don’t think that’s any problem. A couple of other thoughts on it dying could be the fuel pressure regulator which your pressure test should identify, also, I would look at the throttle position sensor (my bet) as that seems to have been problematic on these bikes since I’ve been a part of this group, you can check that through your diagnostics page Or a voltmeter looking for smooth operation through its range.

Also, I don’t know if your 06 model had the ground spider issues either, seems like when Russ had that problem on his 07 there was a lot of silly things going on, just something to keep in mind. He has an excellent writeup on all that someplace here.

#13 ·
Hi Steve,

Yeah, I replaced the TPS last year; It was measuring just inside of the tolerance band. And it reports just fine in DIAG.
I am hooking up a fuel pressure gauge, to see if it is at 47psi. Still cleaning and reassembling.
I have done all the Ground Spiders. They are good.
I will report back after I get my fuel pressure gauge installed.

Reactions: 2GENAE and passx
#14 ·
You hadn't perchance done a valve reshim right before this started, did you?

#15 ·
I get it with the bad TB boot...... while you got stuff apart, aging FJR's may have crud build-up on the MAP sensor vacuum port (and hose), which will also cause poor idling and low end performance.

Reactions: 2GENAE and passx
#17 ·
Negative on the valve re-shim. They are still in spec.
Intake Air Pressure sensor, and hose are new and test within specs.
Cam chain Tensioner was done well over a year ago.

Reactions: 2GENAE
#19 ·
I did inspect my gas tank, and it is pristine! No rust, no debris.

Once I reassemble, I will connect my fuel pressure gauge and see what it reports.

Truthfully I am kinda excited to see if:
1. My tool works, and
2. What pressure my pump achieves.

#20 ·
An update...:rolleyes:

So I got Orion back together last evening, and wanted to start it up, to make sure I put everything back together correctly. Bike started and idled...good!

Turned off the bike, and was gonna start fitting my fuel pressure gauge... But I had to restart it for something, now I can't remember...

And the battery is DEAD...Click, Clickety, Click... 11.8VDC The Hell? I just started it and ran it??

Less than 22 months, on this AGM battery.

Off I went to Batteries Plus to get a Lithium battery this time...they don't list one for the FJR... Sigh...

And a further kick in the sack, Texas now charges $0.85/lb to recycle alkaline batteries!!:oops: I had 3 lbs. of batteries...

So, can someone who uses a lithium battery, please give me the Make, model, etc, that will work in our FJRs?

Thanks, and stay tuned...

#21 ·
The lithium batteries come with a whole pack of sticky foam that you use to make the battery the right size.
Shorai - lfx18a1-bs12 is what I have in my bike

#22 ·
#23 ·
I have an Antigravity, don't remember the model. Works fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.