FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I've seen numerous threads on several boards about installing a Datel Voltmeter. Where can I get a Datel Voltage Gauge? Are they available in shops, or just through catalogs/internet? Any help will be greatly appreciated.


Thanks,

Brian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
Voltmeter

Any voltmeter will do the job, you do not have to buy the Datel.

I am currently working on a small circuit with three LED, green, yellow and red, very simple.

I think you only want to know if you are charging or discharging the battery.

If you want the circuit I could email it to you when it will be finish.

If you decide to go with a digital voltmeter make sure that at night the light will not disturb you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
426 Posts
I prefer the simple approach taken by Signal Dynamics. One LED that is installed inconspicuously in your dash that shines either green, yellow or red and is either solid or flashing. Green is good, Yellow demands attention and Red means you will soon be walking.

Digital readouts are easily ignored and need to be checked and interpreted regularly. I mounted the LED in my line of sight and if it turns Yellow or Red I see it right away.

Affordable and takes up practically no space.
http://www.signaldynamics.com/products/Modules/HUVM.asp

They also make a surface mount model if you don't want to drill a tiny hole in your dash.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Re: Voltmeter

Pierre said:
Any voltmeter will do the job, you do not have to buy the Datel.

I am currently working on a small circuit with three LED, green, yellow and red, very simple.

I think you only want to know if you are charging or discharging the battery.

If you want the circuit I could email it to you when it will be finish.

If you decide to go with a digital voltmeter make sure that at night the light will not disturb you.
Hi Pierre

I'd appreciate a copy please.

Regards

Tim
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
4,161 Posts
amain said:
I prefer the simple approach taken by Signal Dynamics. One LED that is installed inconspicuously in your dash that shines either green, yellow or red and is either solid or flashing. Green is good, Yellow demands attention and Red means you will soon be walking.
Man. It must be nice to be able to see all 3 of those colors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
That sounds real nice, Pierre.
Do you know at what voltage the LED's change color? Just wondering how it's set up to recognize a certain voltage.
I'm so used to looking at the exact voltage 'number' at any given time on the Datel, it would be good to know where it's at if it goes to yellow or red. Or does it even matter as long as the monitoring is accurate?
I'd like to try that setup on the sound system in my SUV.
Randy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
426 Posts
Point well taken, Bounce. Perhaps in your case you could use a trunk monkey to tap you on the shoulder when your electrics die. :idea:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
Adjustable

FJRandy said:
That sounds real nice, Pierre.
Do you know at what voltage the LED's change color? Just wondering how it's set up to recognize a certain voltage.
I'm so used to looking at the exact voltage 'number' at any given time on the Datel, it would be good to know where it's at if it goes to yellow or red. Or does it even matter as long as the monitoring is accurate?
I'd like to try that setup on the sound system in my SUV.
Randy
It is adjustable with a trimpot, so you need to calibrate it before using a varable dc source like a power supply. Forgot the circuit diagram home this morning wenI left, will make sure not to forget it for tomorrow :oops:
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top