FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
That was a one in a million impact - it was pure luck that the deer must have been just at the right height etc and then to have the camera running too - great vision - what are the odds on that!

Almost got a cow one night. Long left hander at around 90-95mph, cold clear night, bike singin. Cow ambles out of the 2-3metre high grass at the roadside - hit the brakes - rear too hard - startin to slide - no way I can stop so I aimed the bike at the cows tail light (T bone impact ahead) and hoped the bloody cow didn't change it's mind or stop

Replaying the images in my head I don't think the bovine even registered I was there. In hindsight getting the bike around a little in the slide lined me up to just clear the critters hindquarters... It all happened that bloody quick that I don't remember even having time to get off the throttle. Love those reflexes. Got past, few deep breaths and kept riding to get rid of the adrenaline shakes.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Seems a bit strange to me. The bike hits the deer, crap breaks off but the bike doesn't even so much as wobble. Is it just me?

Mike

·
Registered
11 Posts
Do you guys and gals have any idea why a chicken does not cross the road at night?? Seems to be because they are a lot smarter than Possums, racoons, deer, and a good deal of motorcyclists! Over 80% of all motorcycle accidents in the USA occur after dark. Think about it.... :cry:

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pronomian said:
Seems a bit strange to me. The bike hits the deer, crap breaks off but the bike doesn't even so much as wobble. Is it just me?
It IS strange, that's what made it such a one-in-a-million shot, eh?

redhawk said:
Over 80% of all motorcycle accidents in the USA occur after dark.
I'm not familiar with that statistic. I've read the "Hurt Study," which is pathetically out of date, but concluded among many other factors that; almost half of motorcycle fatalities involved alcohol, almost half (not necessarily the same half) were sans helmet, and the largest cause of death was 'motorcycle leaving roadway.'

All of the crashes I've seen with my own eyes fit that description - rider thinks he's too fast for curve, hits brakes, bike springs straight up, and bike leaves road - rider's body at mercy to it's inertia and that of whatever stops him.

With those stats in mind, naturally, I eliminate as many of the fatality factors as possible... alcohol - never, sans helmet - never, and lots of track practice in attempt to improve my proficiency in curves.

I usually don't choose to ride at night, unless I'm tooling around deserted urban streets, or watching planes come and go around the airport... but I've never seen that statistic of 80% fatalities at night. Where did that come from?

Thanks.

:)

·
Registered
949 Posts
Looks like Bambi takes a hit to the head or neck from the pointy end and then gets spun around to the side and behind the bike. The rider misses the joy of running over the critters body and getting serious "air" (and earth) Poor bloody deer drops like a stone but hey if the deer numbers are anything like the number of kangaroos around the roads at night in country Australia particularly when its dry and they feed on the short grassy road edge, then whats the problem with keepin the eagles etc fat and shiny. :twisted:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I
usually don't choose to ride at night, unless I'm tooling around deserted urban streets, or watching planes come and go around the airport... but I've never seen that statistic of 80% fatalities at night. Where did that come from?
Thanks.

Comes from local newspaper here in Cincy. Thought it a bit high myself, but they say same thing you did about 50% alcohol involvement, 40% out of control in a curve, etc. This was an accident statistic, not fatality specific. Seems like every day there is another M/C accident...last night guy was killed on his H/D, straight stretch, no other vehicles around, after dark, no helmet, lost control, alcohol not mentioned.

Last week an Erlanger, KY County Sheriffs Deputy was killed riding his BMW home after dark, hit a curb on straight street near his home, no helmet, no other vehicle involved. So, you see, it really doesn't matter if the streets are deserted or not in a lot of cases.

Like I said, this scenario seems to be repeated almost daily around here. Most motorcyclists will not even begin to admit to themselves much less anyone else the fact that vision is poor at night on a bike. Only takes one unseen brick in the road and you can bend over and KYAGB!!

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
redhawk said:
Only takes one unseen brick in the road and you can bend over and KYAGB!!
Not if you wear good gear when you ride and pay attention. I agree there are certain things that are simpy beyond one's ability to control but lack of a helmet (and other gear), alcohol and just plain lack of skills or good judgment covers a lot of what is involved in bike fatalities.

Night riding is riskier for sure. I find the lights (properly adjusted) on many current bikes to be excellent (FJR included). But one brick in the road and you're dead? Please...

·
Registered
949 Posts
20valves said:
[Not if you wear good gear when you ride and pay attention. I agree there are certain things that are simpy beyond one's ability to control but lack of a helmet (and other gear), alcohol and just plain lack of skills or good judgment covers a lot of what is involved in bike fatalities.

Night riding is riskier for sure. I find the lights (properly adjusted) on many current bikes to be excellent (FJR included). But one brick in the road and you're dead? Please...
Totally agree. Keep the speed real for the minimum safe sight distance + good safety gear.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Well, I have been riding almost my entire life, (now 51).

I did start to notice that my night vision was not nearly as good as it once was.

So now I make it a point to drive a bit slower, and waaaay slower in areas that I know have deer walking about.

The FJR has pretty good lamps, but I may get some brighter ones. I also put the deer alerts on my bike.

But still at any age, I would advise slowing down and really paying attention at night. Even something as stupid as some rocks or a tree limb on the road could easily put you in the hopsital or maybe even end your life.

CZ

1 - 11 of 11 Posts