FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm conisdering selling my V-strom and buying an 06 FJR.
Has anybody gone from V-strom to the FJR. If so, was it the right
choice?

Cheers :?

·
Registered
6 Posts
V-Strom or FJR

I have had my FJR now for 3 years and love it.
I just picked up my V-Strom DL650 on Saturday so I don't have a whole lot of time on it yet.
Two completely different bikes. I like the Strom because its lighter and easier to manouver. I'll use it on short tours and commuting. Wouldn't replace the FJR with it but I think I'll enjoy them both.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I have both (sold the 03 FJR waiting on my 06) My wife likes the Strom for passenger comfort. I did have the passenger peg extenders on the FJR. For straight up going long and hard I love the FJR. I'm a big twin and singles fan so the midrange and feel of the Strom has always appealed to me. I like the idea of being able to do "light" off road. The Strom is not in the performance league of the FJR but more versitle. For what you can pick up a used Strom for you might consider both. My friend wanted to go to Alaska with me and found an 03 1000 for $4,000 on ebay. I would like a 650 Strom too. I have a SV650 and really like that motor!!! My good friend took my FJR for a day then took the Strom for a weekend. He bought the Strom. I was a little surprised. I really thought the sport of the FJR would be his style but his wife liked the back of the Strom more. Gotta keep those women happy. The good news is you wouldl like either bike.

·
Registered
247 Posts
When I wanted to swap my VFR800 for something more upright I rode the V-Strom 1000 and I loved it, but not enough to part with my Viffer. The FJR was love at first ride so to speak.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I just sold my FJR and have a DL1000. Apples and oranges. But of the same caliber. It's all about versatility. The FJR is either a touring bagger or a powerful curve crasher while the V-Strom is either a touring bagger or an adventurer for unpaved horizons.

Wish I could've kept the FJR too but after 3 years of FJRs I had the itch to see what the adventurer thing was all about. I do miss the raw power of the FJR and see me going back to it someday, however. And maybe park it next to a Wee-Strom.

·
Registered
426 Posts
My V-Strom allows me to explore all those unpaved roads I've been detouring around for years and I'm really liking it. I can still tour across the country at bug-smashing speed, but when I get to my destination I don't have to worry when the pavement ends.

My trip to Arkansas this weekend will tell me just how Hoonable my new ride is. If the speeds in the straights are kept to a reasonable pace I shouldn't fall too far behind in the curves. Unexpectedly though, I feel more confident with the new riding position and wider handlebars. I'll see how much of this is illusion when I am pacing the Hoons.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you are going to be mainly riding the black top, I'm sure you would be very happy with the FJR. Like valkmike, I have the FJR and the Strom (650). The FJR for the longer touring rides and the Strom for commuting and many of my day rides. Two different bikes but both very good at doing what they were designed to do.

Yamaha have pretty much thrown into the 06 FJR, all of the additions, improvements and refinements that I could wish for. If only I was in a position to upgrade right now. :(

My advice... go for it! :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Cannot compare the 2. They're 2 totally different bikes. Jumping to a FJR from a Fazer 600 would be a better slide. (thats what I did)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Put me down for having both. '06 FJR and DL650. No miles on the FJR yet. Because of my wayward XR400R I have a broken collarbone. I recently sold my '01 KLR650 and bought a '04 DL650. I got it because I wanted a more worthy street dualsport than the Kawi. I rode the KLR to Deadhorse in 2002. The DL I plan to ride to Newfoundland. It seems well suited for backroads, dirtroads, and mild adventure touring. It has plenty of power for solo riding. Costs for a used one are quite reasonable.
Get one of each. :wink:

Harvey

·
Registered
7 Posts
No comparison. I've ridden both and prefererred th FJR.

You pays your money........

·
Registered
426 Posts
Kinda forgot about this thread...
My DL1000 worked well on my trip to Arkansas. I rode nearly 125 miles of gravel fire roads through the national forest and had a great time. Only one road was tricky by getting steep, narrow, and covered with loose rock, but the bike did well and would have done better with a better rider.

It was fun to be able to ride the little gravel roads then get out on the paved twisties and let it rip for a while until we found a new section of unpaved stuff to explore. The DL1000 has awesome torque and even though it has way less horsepower than the FJR, torquing out of the curves is way high for fun factor.

If I was going to do more unpaved than paved a smaller bike would perform better, but the DL1000 does well enough and still holds its own when you want to tear up the curves on Arkansas' highways. If all your fun is going to be on paved stuff, the FJR just can't be beat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts