FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
I was bored and looking for another farkle when I noticed the National Cycle ad in Rider Magazine. A quick search led me to Duff's link.

THANK YOU DUFF! :ale:

You're comment that the Vstream pulls heat up through the legs probably saved me some cash and aggrevation! I'm OK with the stock screen, and certainly don't want to spend money and time working on a way to make the bike hotter!

·
Registered
5 Posts
V Stream windshield

I always have windshield problems on all motorcycles, being 6'4," so I have a garage full of after market screens. I rode a friends bike with a Rifle and it was better but not quite right. I have tried the large FJR factory screen that didn't work either so I bought a Cal Sci and I also bought the "Tuning Block" from Rifle that lays the screen back about 7 degrees, I think. It was better with the block for me, but still a lot of wind noise. I just installed the V Stream last night and tried it with and without the tuning block. So for I really like the windshield and it appears to be better without the tuning block. This may be the one I stick with, almost no buffeting and wind noise is way down. In full upright there is a little back pressure on the helmet. I can still look over it full up and all the way down for the twisties, the wind hits me just under my neck. I don't know about the problem of pulling hot air off the engine, I will be on a long ride this weekend so will check that out. So far I am very happy with the V Stream

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just ordered the saeng windshield edging to see if that will help with the stock windshield, about $60. Does anyone have experience with this. Thanks Everett

·
Registered
69 Posts
windshield edging

I have the saeng edging on and it looks good but in all honesty I can't tell if it does anything. With the orig. shielf all the way up it was quiet, it still is. with the shield down it was windy and noisy, it still is. ?

·
Registered
592 Posts
So we are looking at some snake oil possibly. I don't quite understand it, the air flow is fine but the noise is crazy loud. How can that be? Just want some of the noise to go away. Not all of it just a little.

Rudy

·
Registered
45 Posts
windshileds

Having had the Saeng edgeing on my stock 03 shield for 3yrs and 23 K miles, I can say it does "work"... depending on what you are looking for... quieter? NO ! ...Less buffeting and a larger air pocket AT SPEED,,YES!....cooler around town and at low speeds...YES......the perfect solution..NO...

all things together, I still think it has been the best solution ... I run fast with shield down 99 % of time,in Hot Humid weather..

BUT, .. the new V-stream sounds like it may be something to consider,,,especially since the old stock screen is starting to peel/de-laminate in some areas,,,, actually I notice it, but most others never do..

a couple hints with the saeng edging, buy at least 3 ft for the 03 , 4 ft for the later years.. start 2/3 rds way down one side of shield to same distance on other,,,,in other words , do not just edge the top of shield..

also , tilt the shield back a few degrees by placing washers under the front mounting bracket/plate

use a rubber mallet to force the edge on good and tight..

did i mention it gets a lot of ?s..... " whats that rubber thing?" :ale:

·
Registered
592 Posts
Re: windshileds

jupiterfjr said:
also , tilt the shield back a few degrees by placing washers under the front mounting bracket/plate
AHHA, I think you just might be onto something. I will try out a couple things tomorrow. Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good posts but consider this if you're about 6 feet tall.

I appreciated all posts so far on this topic and I may still try out a V-stream or one of CB's shields. However, this what I ended up doing (and really like it): I ordered a custom height Rifle, 1.5" taller than their stock model. I also went for the custom light blue tint. Totaled about $200 shipped. It looks great on my 04" silver FJR and the custom tuning block did the trick in greatly reducing the noise and buffeting problem encountered with the stock windshield. My shield does not touch the bike faring as the instructions from Rifle warn it might. Which was my only concern before I ordered it.

I'm 6ft tall with a 32-inch inseam. Now I hear the engine better (or music in my helmet) instead of all that roaring wind I used to when I cruise my 160 mile round trip to work 4 times per week on I-76 in Colorado. I typically travel at 75 - 95+ mph and the Rifle works well at those speeds at various heights. I generally ride with it full up or near full up. I hope that helps give someone additional options. == RadBrad

·
Registered
31 Posts
Now info on windshields for tall guys!!

What is the latest intel on tall guys and wind noise?

I have lots of failed experiments sitting around the workshop from trying to find ways to get the noisy buffeting off my helmet.

I have the sitting height of a 6'5" guy. I'm only 6'3", but with a long back and 32" inseam.

What have you all found to be the most effective at getting rid of the wind noise? Surely there is some way to get the turbulent layer up above the helmet visor.

Thanks for any info,

Bob --------------- e-mail me at yahoo.com,.. username is rwrominger

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am 6'2" and have a V-Stream on my 06. Its the only one I have tried except the stocker and am VERY happy with the results. Its cut head on wind noise down to almost zero from the gale I used to get.

With the screen almost all the way up I can ride in the rain with my visor open on my helmet and not get a wet face.

Very happy with it. I also got one for my 01 (long story but I now have 2 FJRs here), My wife rides the 01 but has not yet let me fit the V-stream, resistant to change ya know :lol:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Kiwi Dave said:
I am 6'2" and have a V-Stream on my 06. Its the only one I have tried except the stocker and am VERY happy with the results. Its cut head on wind noise down to almost zero from the gale I used to get.

With the screen almost all the way up I can ride in the rain with my visor open on my helmet and not get a wet face.

Very happy with it. I also got one for my 01 (long story but I now have 2 FJRs here), My wife rides the 01 but has not yet let me fit the V-stream, resistant to change ya know :lol:
How well would your v-stream work if you sat 2'' higher and your helmet was 2" more up into whatever is coming over the top of the windshield? That is my main obstacle -- finding something that keeps the turbulent layer at least higher than the helmet visor.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would have to stick my neck out so to speek to try that, probably wont get another ride till next weekend now. That said the biggy with the Vstream is its width sending the messy air over the shoulders rather than into the helmet. Its the lack of buffeting that I noticed the most. I will let ya know on the taller thing.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I have had the same problem I'm 6'3" as well but I have a 34 inch inseam.

I ordered a Cal Sci screen 4 inches taller than stock and it takes care of 80% of the problem. I wish I had ordered 6 inches higher. That would give me complete silence and no turbulence.

Note that it would be too hot in the summer because even in the full down position there would not be enough air movement behind the screen.

Thats why I cut 18 inches off the stock screen and now have smooth quiet air coming over it for summer riding.

Glenn

1 - 17 of 17 Posts