FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
20valves said:
Agree 100%. Not sure why they ducked Superbike.
Because they don't have a competitive superbike program. Of course, they can't get there without starting somewhere... Like Kawasaki is having to do. Heck, I bet Honda's just glad Kawaski will be the underdog this year...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They might not have an official superbike program, but, they have a pretty good starting point with the R1.

For some reason, they decided to put all of their 'superbike-type' R&D into the 600 (Formula Extreme) rather than going after the premier class. Are they just hungry for a championship with the new 600 (even though it is meaningless since there won't be any other factory teams running in F-X) or are they afraid of Mladin in Superbike? I don't get it - they brought in Eric Bostrom, the 2nd winningest superbike rider in 2005, and they're sticking him in the privateer class instead of the premier class.

I understand its not 100% accurate comparison, but, using qualifying times from Superstock in 2005, here's where the Yamaha riders would have been on the Superbike grid:

Daytona - 5th - DiSalvo
Barber - 2nd - Hacking
Fontana - 5th - DiSalvo
Infineon - 2nd - DiSalvo
Pikes Peak - 3rd - DiSalvo
Road America - 7th - DiSalvo
Laguna - 6th - DiSalvo
Mid-Ohio - 7th - DiSalvo
VIR - 8th - DiSalvo
Road Atlanta - 2nd - DiSalvo

1 - 4 of 4 Posts