FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Keith,
Did I remember correctly that you wear some sort of armour under your suits? I'm interested in checking this out. I took a really easy fall on my dirt bike and even though I had no laceration, I ended up with an infection of the bursa around my kneecap. I had some MC kneepads but am looking for something more substantial. My bionic hips are a weak link when infection is present. TIA. Ian, Iowa

·
Registered
237 Posts
The armor found on Aerostich gear has pretty much become the "Gold Standard" for riding. Indeed if you are so inclined to use a track suit it will offer more protection, but here'e what Aerostich has to say:

"CE impact standards involve both energy absorption capability and pad shape and size. Aerostich TF2 pads do not match these European standards because of their shapes, not their energy absorption capabilities. In hard-shelled areas, TF2 armor tested significantly better than most other CE approved armor. Around the softer edges, it tests lower. TF2 armor was tested at a CE lab in England and using a duplicate of the test apparatus here. TF2 pads were developed (years before CE standards existed) to provide effective protection when fitted into the oversuit designs of Roadcrafters and Dariens. Because of this, TF2 pads allow comfort with various combinations of street clothing better than CE shapes. Roadcrafter suits were the first riders garments to use removable armor pad systems,and to use an advanced energy absorbing material like TF2. When we introduced TF2 armor, all protective garments, including road racing suits, featured sewn-in paddings made from felt, foam rubber or other less effective materials."

Go to http://www.aerostich.com/home.php?cat=305 for more data. :wink:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Check out Bohn underarmor for comfort. I haven't had to test it yet, but it's pretty comfortable. The mesh for hot weather, solid for colder days.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I did a 35 mph high side wearing Bohn armor from Action Station. I landed face (helmet) and right shoulder first and slid along the asphalt and gravel. I ended up with a separated shoulder. Two hundred and twenty five pounds at 35 mph, directly on a shoulder, will do that. Otherwise, I had no other injuries except for a little rash where the nylon holding the armor rubbed on my knee.
My conclusion: the Bohn armor did its job well.
Oh, and the wasp that had stung me five times after flying into my jacket was killed in the crash.

Ron

·
Registered
15 Posts
Under Armor

I have a mesh "ONeill" that I use dirt biking and when it's hot on the street. It's great, and I fall a lot (in the dirt...)Cheapest one that works I think.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.