FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd share this years offerings with you as it is that time of year again for me. I'm 45 (been biking for 27 years), with 6 years NCB (protected) with The FJR. I've only one conviction - an SP50 (speeding, clocked by an unmarked rozzer) in July 2002 (yippee, its almost spent!!), which cost me 60 squids and 3 points.

I appreciate that I live in the rural wilds of the Highlands - even so according to our "bible" of biking, the MCN - "if you can't get 10 to 15% less on your renewal, change your insurer".

I paid last year £213.84 all in with everything goin, legal,helmet,blah,blah - with Carole Nash. This year they want £251.75 for the same all in cover. When I asked why so much I was told absolutely frankly that bike theft and MAINLY, young guns on crotch rockets that think they're Valentino Rossi (and can't ride for shit), who are writing themselves (and others!) off, are the main reason for my increased premium.

The world of Insurance is fickle and dodgey (apologies to the likes of Ian Smart and other board members who are in the Insurance business), at the best of times and Carole Nash was told straight - "I'll see you when I get my new glasses". "I aint payin for thieves and tossers that can't ride".

Got on the Phone and discovered that out of 8 insurers that I called, it was evenly split between who was giving high or higher quotes and who was able to give me a good reduced quote. Surprisingly, the bigger names that we know appeared more expensive.

I settled on Ramasis Insurance who put me with Norich Union for £172.00 all in claims assistance package included - only thing I did'nt want was breakdown/recovery. The AA cover that for me. For Carole Nash to put me with Norich Union it was going to cost £227.55!

See what I mean lads & lasses - bullshit! It really does pay to shop around!!

All the best, Glenn. 8)

·
Registered
91 Posts
This topic was was discussed last year. At the time the cheapest quote for reasonable cover I could find was e-bike insurance. As our age, experience and points (!) are similar you may wish to note, although I appreciate too late for this year, that my re-newal quote from e-bike is £168 for fully comp.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FJR Insurance.

Michael B,

Thanks for the pointer mate, not renewing till the 16th so I'll give em a go.

Many thanks, regards, Glenn. 8)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Glenn, purely to satisfy my own curiosity would you have any objection to posting any e-bike quote offered?

Thanks.

Michael

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FJR Insurance.

Michael, I don't have a problem with that - the differences in pricing are so many and varied - having to take into account postcodes, urban/rural, north/south etc. It should be a simple process - if you have a proven, experienced riding history, you should always be offered (and get) the best deal.

Regards, Glenn. 8)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Last September, My EBike was £174, 2001 bike, 5 yrs NCD

This is for two bikes though, with my Cub90.

ALL my mods/accessories were listed, value of £2500 I think, including Staintunes, sat nav, luggage, etc etc.

I had two speeding convictions, 2001 and 2003.

UK recovery included.

It's not worth submitting a voluntary excess as the main excess also increases, therefore you don't gain anything as the premium difference is rather small.

R&G sponsor them and because of that, my R&G crash bobbins decreased the premium by £7.

They have now launched ECar and that is cheaper too!.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts