FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Keith, can you help me?

Hello everyone,

I just received my Autocom Pro kit and am having troubles with the install into my Shoei X-Eleven helmet. The space where I finally need to locate the speakers is too tight to accomodate my noggin. The speakers flip the tops of my ears down and I just can't get comfortable in the helmet. Any suggestions on a fix for this? Thanks a million!

:shock:

·
Registered
666 Posts
I had the same problem so having positioned the speakers correctly i marked around them then with a craft knife very carefully trimmed the polystyrene so the speakers fitted flush pulled down & secured the lining & its perfect & very comfortable.
I know there will be certain arguments against doing it that way but its my helmet & it worked for me.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I had to do the same as Murf with my Caberg Justissimo, the instructions for fitting the speakers on the Autocom website for this particular helmet just did not seem to work, so it was out with the trimming knife. Not a great idea, I know, but was left with no option really. I still have to 'straighten' my ears every time I put it on. :(
Unfortunately no specific instructions for the Shoei listed.

Malki

·
Registered
632 Posts
Take all the padding of the autocom speakers. Then they slide nicely underneath where it look slike speaker should go.

I have a Shoei Z-1 and that's how I do it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I own a pair of Etymotic ER6i in ear monitors, and was debating using them. I am concerned with having yet another cord hanging from my head. With the autocom adapter, does the cord for the in ear speakers connect at the short cord nearest the helmet, or do they connect back at the Autocom box?

Thanks for the help all!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I use in ear monitors (Duocoms) but with a Starcom rather than an Autocom, I would guess the cable configeration is similar though.
Basically the headset loom is replaced with one that just has a mike & then in my case a 3.5 socket that the Duocoms plug directly in to; so there are no extra wires between you & the bike.
Another option worth going for is the Bluetooth adapter for your phone.

·
Super Moderator
3,959 Posts
Tony said:
Best solution all round is in ear moniters, protect your hearing as well. Only downside is the cost.
+1. Even though I use a helmet headset and have for years, the main function now is for the mic (output). After I got my first set of ear monitors there was no looking back.

http://www.bikes-n-spikes.org/acc/ear/ear.html

·
Registered
148 Posts
ER 6s' and autocom

In order to adapt your autocom to the er-6 or other types of in ear speakers, you use a cord #26, it is basicly a headset extension cord which goes in between your helmet and the inline cord going to the autocom. on this extension lead( in the middle of it) is a rectanglular plastic box which allows you to plug your headsets in. so to answer your question no, you do not have to go all the way back to the autocom box to connect. One other advantage of this system is that your in helmet speakers stay hooked up, so if you are on a short hop you do not have to bother with the in ear speakers. Kieth

·
Registered
8 Posts
Autocom Install

Hi,

I don't think this has been posted or I missed when I did a search..
Any recommendations as to what is the best way to install Autocom Active??

·
Registered
341 Posts
I was at Autocom's offices yesterday regarding the Super Pro AVi.

When I installed the unit there was white noise coming through the speakers at all times. The conclusion is that they all do that as a result of trying to get more volume. The noise apparently disappears once riding (it's still there but you can't hear it due to the outside noises!!).

I expressed concern about having white noise pumped in to my head via in ear speakers (not yet delivered) and they agreed. Autocom have now authorised their staff to get in ear speakers and to then work on a solution as I am not the first to comment on this.

Both Autocom and my supplying dealer have promised to work on a solution until I'm happy, from previous dealings with Autocom I know this not to be a false promise.

In the mean time Autocom are shipping me some older leads FOC so that I can use my in ear speakers (when they are delivered) with my old Autocom until they find a solution.

My supplying dealer also rides a bike using the same system I'm trying to work towards. He says that with the in ear speakers he does hear a slight noise but it is not distracting so he has advised I wait until my in ear speakers arrive before making any decisions. The Autocom lead has some noise reduction stuff inside (technical bits)

As a side not I did find out that if you have one of these systems they did do a recall to dealers on some units due to the VOX not working properly, these units can be identified by having a black face where the cables enter the system, on later models this was changed to a gun metal grey colour.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've a Shoei RAID which i run with the Autocom Pro setup. Ouch did the speakers hurt my tabs when i first put them in. Take that wonderful farklers tool to it. The Dremel. I got a 'milling type' bit for mine about 4mm diameter then dismantle the helmet foam CAREFULLY and remove the tape. Mark the positions you want the speakers and the microphone in and carve channels for the leads in the polystyrene. Test it every step of the way with the speakers and the microphone and cables then when you are happy put the foam cover back on and tape it all together. Re-assemble into the helmet shell. I agree that this method probably weakens the polystyrene - but do you want a comfortable fitment or not?

The worst part was hoovering all the polystyrene flakes from all over after attacking it with the dremel.

Pics if anyone wants 'em - more as a reference for putting it all back than anything.

Installed main autocom unit in under seat tray. Connect it to the rear marker light as per instructions from autocom and you never need to replace the battery, plus its safe and convenient to run audio cables to for the ipod or GPS or radio installed in a tank bag.

PS if you want more volume try the boostaroo device - works a treat

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm still playing about with my Autocom Pro 7 kit trying to get the best out of the speakers, seems like the Boostaroo fits the bill, thanks for the heads up on that Wilf. I now have more boxes under the seat for splitting Autocom to Music/GPS/Bluetooth/GPS speed trap Detector and now need to make room for a Boostaroo :mrgreen:
Should have bought the damn Pro 300 Avi kit in the first place with its 4 Aux sockets, it's now cheaper than last years 'sale' Pro 7 kit :roll:

·
Registered
721 Posts
Keith said:
Both Autocom and my supplying dealer have promised to work on a solution until I'm happy, from previous dealings with Autocom I know this not to be a false promise.
Keith, please keep me up to date on this if any progress is made as I'm looking to move up to the same unit and if they can cut the white noise, which up top now I've simply accepted, then that would certainly clinch the deal.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Will do Ian. I don't expect much movement for a couple of months as it will take a few weeks for them to get the in ear speaker plugs delivered.

Once mine arrive I'll let you know how much white noise gets through.

True to their word the FOC Autocom parts arrived yesterday so that should the white noise be too much with the AVi I can at least try them with my old Eurocom model to make a comparison.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts