FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you are travelling to an EEA country or Switzerland your E111 form which entitles you to reduced cost or free medical treatment will no longer be valid. You now need a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). You can apply for one of these free online here.

https://www.ehic.org.uk/InternetPROD/home.do

·
Registered
163 Posts
Got mine last year (05), another credit size card jammed in the wallett.

Teejay
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Keep it smooth, Keep it quick

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got mine in August last year just before we went on holiday, but never really sure of what this covers you for - anyone know?

·
Registered
181 Posts
cribby said:
I got mine in August last year just before we went on holiday, but never really sure of what this covers you for - anyone know?
It will (in theory) give you the right to the same medical treatment as the locals in participating countries.

In most countries it is limited to emergencies or sudden illness, ie I as an Diabetic can not go to France and expect to get my insulin free.

It is worth knowing that in some countries, you will be taken in to A&E and a doctor will give a first examination but anything after that, including xrays and so on will be charged, so unless you are insured :shock:

In other countries it might depend on which hospital you are taken to, some might belong to something like 'our' NHS whilst other are private and if the hospital you are at is private then you / your insurance are likely to get billed.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Having had the misfortune to have had to use both my E111 and travel insurance recently after a spill in Holland. I would recommend keeping your new E111 card in your jacket pocket whilst on the motorcycle. I luckily had time to get my documents out of the top box before being taken to hospital. Having my passport and E111 fairly speeded up the process at the hospital reception. E111 was the first thing they asked for.
So from now on, all documents remain in the inside pocket of my jacket.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just read Malki's reply and funnily enough i took a spill in holland last year, i did not have my E111 with me but said i would fax it to them later that day. I got carried away sorting other stuff and forgot....A few weeks later a bill for some almighty amount fell throuh my letterbox, i ran to the post office with a photo copy of my E111 and sent it recorded. Phew! that was too close....Bottom line Bill Cleared and i had xrays as well. Moral of the story. KEEP YOUR E111 OR YOUR NEW CREDIT CARD WITH YOU AT ALL TIMES. Oh as a final note you are entitled to whatever their nationals would recieve over here. Free at the point of delivery. Even if lets say a national of france has to pay in france for a particular procedure, we wouldn't necessarily have to. Cos if that french person were over here (UK) they wouldn't have to pay...ONLY EUROPEANS. Sorry to all the readers in the US but we dont pay for medical stuff except when we visit you guys

1 - 7 of 7 Posts