FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with Accident or Travel insurance insurance or something like it?

Here's the situation, I was on a 4000 mile motorcycle trip with some of my buddies driving up the coast of Cali a few weeks ago. My friends motorcycle had some sort of issue and he found himself in oncoming traffic and hit a truck head on, (he doesn't remember what happen). We were in the middle of no where and he was life flighted out of the forest. Tons of broken bones, internal bleeding, concussion and the list goes on. His alive, not paralysis and getting better as each day passes and I'm grateful for that considering the accident could have been much worse. Since that accident it had me thinking, an accident like this can be very expensive. Currently the wife stuck in a hotel near the hospital supporting her husband, they're both out of work atm, life flight can be expensive, ect. Is there some sort of accident / travel insurance that will help cover things like this? Sure, they have medical insurance and auto insurance. But that doesn't always cover everything, like life flight or other random fees that comes up. I know when I go scuba diving I can purchase scuba diving insurance and it will cover cost to get me back home and the medical treatments I might need.

So the question is, is there some sort of accident insurance / travel insurance you guys can recommend or heard about being useful for a 1 off situation? Like a motorcycle/snowboarding/scuba diving/4wheeling/boating/or whatever kind of accident you find yourself in and it can help cover you for the unforeseen expenses?

·
Registered
539 Posts
You can get something like Aflac, which is more of an annual thing. You'll likely pay the same for a years worth of something than a specialized short term high risk policy. More important from my perspective is a whole lot of life insurance.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
I've been needing to sign up for the annual plan from AirMedCareNetwork.

It's $89/year and since I have good health coverage at work that would take care of medical needs, and insurance on the motorcycles... I think I would be totally uncovered for a $50,000 helicopter flight after an emergency.

Why have I not done this already? (Because I'm a cheap bastard.)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, I have decent medical and life insurance. So something like AirMedcare seems like a good idea. I haven't heard of that one before. I'll have to do some more research into that

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
Hey Bluedude (Tim)... I owe you a big thank you.

Since you brought this to mind at the right time, I DID just sign up for the AirMedCareNetwork plan for $85/year. It covers the whole family (in the household) which makes a lot of sense, considering my set of hobbies.

I'm glad you got me off the dime... I feel good about it. :)

Reactions: bluedude54

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Life flight here, but there are limitations to the coverage. I needed a lift to the hospital in 2011 and the other guys insurance barley covered the ride. So most important is uninsured and underinsured insurance coverage along with the best coverage you can get.

·
Registered
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300
37 Posts
I haven't gone far enough to worry about it yet. Over a 12 hour ride home, I'm thinking a basic travel plan for the evacuation insurance is a good idea . A broken hip, collarbone, ankle or leg can turn into a nightmare to get home.

One site I've looked at is pretty reasonable, about $120 for a basic plan on a two week trip in the US. It includes 50k of travel insurance, it's a bit light for a helicopter ride, but they'll help get you home. For $150 for two weeks you can get 500k of evacuation insurance. allianztravelinsurance is the site I sampled rates on, but there are others.

My sister had an unfortunate fall when on a work trip in Mexico. Broken ankle on a weekend hike. Her employer had trip insurance on foreign trips. It paid her for out of pocket expenses in Mexico and they arranged travel back home. Town cars and a special first class seat with tons of legroom along with a flight nurse that went along for a ride.

That got me thinking it may be worth it.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
SkyMed, best travel insurance available. Pays for any emergency medical transport that is not already covered by your health insurance. Good anywhere in North America and the Caribbean; limited coverage in other parts of the world. Covers you for transport from your home or an accident site to a hospital, from a hospital to another medical facility and from a medical facility to your home. Covers shipment of your motorcycle to your home. A BMW acquaintance wrecked his sidecar on the haul road in Alaska. He was was evac'd to the hospital in Fairbanks and then on to Anchorage. He had a punctured lung so could not be flown to his home in NORCAL. In addition to paying for the transport in Alaska, SkyMed got him and his wife a cabin on a cruise ship to get to the lower 48 and then flew their son to the port and gave him a rental van to drive his parents home. The crated sidecar was sitting in their driveway when they got there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's the kind of insurance I want. Where they make sure everything taken care of and you don't have to stress about it. I like it! It's especially comforting to hear story about how someone was taking care completely in a difficult situation like that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts