FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 14 Vstrom 650 (13k) for sale and another seller has a 06 FJR (40k) and we may trade. The Vstrom has less mileage and higher KBB but the tires are shot and FJR almost new tires. FJR has a couple scrapes and Vstrom has a few scratches. I don't know if the value, bike for bike, is there since I don't know much about FJRs. Anything out there glaring about the 06 model year? Opinions please.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Don't know anything about true current market value's for V-Strom's - but an 06' FJR1300 should probably be worth about 4-5k, from what I have seen, unless it is an exceptional example with super low miles and lots of expensive farkles.

Reactions: propav8r

·
Registered
8 Posts
Don't know anything about true current market value's for V-Strom's - but an 06' FJR1300 should probably be worth about 4-5k, from what I have seen, unless it is an exceptional example with super low miles and lots of expensive farkles.
I paid $3500 for my '06 with around 50k miles. It needed fork seals and I put tires on it for my peace of mind though it may not have strictly needed them.

·
Registered
2021 FJR
106 Posts
Keep the Vstrom and buy the FJR, you'll be happier with both.....ask me how I know ;) :D(y)
Damir, I agree. I've been looking at your photos and that bike looks like a lot of fun and, even though I haven't ridden in the dirt since 1972, it might be something I'd like to try again. However, I just got my 2021 FJR 2 months ago and getting another bike might raise an eyebrow from the "purchasing committee." That said, I live within 45 minutes from two BLM areas that are massive off-road areas so it's not like I'd have to travel far to enjoy them and, being retired, weekdays would avoid the crowds, not that we have crowds in Montana.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Damir, I agree. I've been looking at your photos and that bike looks like a lot of fun and, even though I haven't ridden in the dirt since 1972, it might be something I'd like to try again. However, I just got my 2021 FJR 2 months ago and getting another bike might raise an eyebrow from the "purchasing committee." That said, I live within 45 minutes from two BLM areas that are massive off-road areas so it's not like I'd have to travel far to enjoy them and, being retired, weekdays would avoid the crowds, not that we have crowds in Montana.
Vstrom will win your heart, I don't know why I didn't get one like this long time ago? Instead I had 3 of the ST bikes a Gl1800wing, C1400 and FJR at one point in my garage...all great machines nevertheless....well never too late, glad I made a move, it added to my motorcycle experience big time, highly recommended. Both bikes deliver superbly in their respective categories, plus the vstrom is surprisingly great on asphalt too, and a LOT of bike for a buck, it's a no brainer to pickup one, (when you find the right moment, or right after you get something nice and expensive for your darling 😀)

·
Registered
539 Posts
Vstrom will win your heart,
Opinions vary ;)
I got rid of a Vstrom right before I bought my FJR. If I decided to do an ADV style bike again I would go a different direction.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the opinions on the FJR and Vstrom. Well, no surprise here....I have had a Vstrom since 2007. Currently have 3, all 650s! Going to sell the 06 and 14. My latest is a 15 I saw about 10pm one night on Cycle Trader. The guy was about 1.5 hours away and about 2 miles from where my wife was having a doc appt the next day. Made the deal and picked it up a few days later. 7k miles and decked out. The guy said he had boo-koo offers, many sight unseen. I have not rode the FJR and the weight, power, and slight lean forward concern me. Guess I have to try one out.

·
Registered
253 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts