FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many times during spark plug changes, I have found it difficult to remove one of the spark plug rubber boots. This last weekend, doing the 36k service,I finally tore the rubber boot that the high tension cable runs through to attach the hard plastic stem to the plug. Have you people had this same difficulty? The replacement is coming from Japan to the tune of $35US. Luckily, I was able to tape up the boot/cover to keep the BAGSTR in service.
Why is this item soo tough to remove?

In San Diego,
BAGSTR

·
Registered
102 Posts
Use some silicone on the unit when replacing and/or a heat resistant rubber friendly product. Best yet, use Iridian plugs, they last much, much longer, and you won't need to play that game too often. :D

BAGSTR said:
Many times during spark plug changes, I have found it difficult to remove one of the spark plug rubber boots. This last weekend, doing the 36k service,I finally tore the rubber boot that the high tension cable runs through to attach the hard plastic stem to the plug. Have you people had this same difficulty? The replacement is coming from Japan to the tune of $35US. Luckily, I was able to tape up the boot/cover to keep the BAGSTR in service.
Why is this item soo tough to remove?

In San Diego,
BAGSTR

·
Registered
47 Posts
Use silicone dielectric compound when installing, prevents moisture shorts and welding at the wire-plug interface. Re-think the tool you are using to remove the wire-it's obviously sharp and cutting the wire, something I haven't run into pulling the plug wires on this bike.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Bag., I don`t know what your using but when I did the job recently (and found the boots super tight, though good for sealing purposes), I found just using simple electrician pliers provided excellent grip at the boot/wire junction, making sure the square tips of the pliers are fully seated against the boot surface with a good squeeze of the handles. If I had thought of it, the silicone grease would have been applied! :mrgreen:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.