FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Waiting for a 06 wondering if top speed will be any higher because of higher gearing. I've seen speeds of 150 posted is this true and does it take for every to get there or does it pull right up to top speed

·
Registered
737 Posts
lrider said:
Waiting for a 06 wondering if top speed will be any higher because of higher gearing. I've seen speeds of 150 posted is this true and does it take for every to get there or does it pull right up to top speed
Well, on paper it should be, we'll have to wait and see. Don't think I will ever find out, but I can tell you this, with me on the bike (at 165#) it took very little time to get to 140mph. At least in MHO. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I hate to rain on your parade WolfgangR but since I'm assuming (which is always unwise) you don't have an 06 yet, I'd say your speedo is a bit optimistic. 9000 RPM is about 157 mph give or take a bit depending on tire wear, and that seems to be pretty much it for the bikes here in the states and Canada. To reach 170 you’d have to be turning about 9800 and I don't know about you, but on my box stock 04, I hit the soft limiter at about 9500 and it won't even come close to that in 5th. Admittedly, I'm a big guy at 6'7" and 300lb so I may be pushing a bit more air out of the way but... 170. I don't think so unless you've done a fair amount of modes to the engine or decreased the frontal area a ton.

But what I will say is that she will hit 150 pretty quickly. But I doubt if the 06's higher gear ratio will increase the top speed at all. In fact I'd be surprised if the top end wasn't a tad lower all other things being equal. That being said, I still think a slightly higher ratio will result in an even smoother ride at normal cruising speeds and probably better fuel economy. And because of the abundance of torque, the acceleration shouldn't be effected much. You'll just hold the lower gears a little longer.

·
Registered
426 Posts
If he's talking Canadian mph, don't forget the conversion rate. :crylarf:

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
The rpm will be higher as the rear wheel can lose around 10% to 20% of it's forward traction over 100mph so making the revs rise.

Also just because the gearing is higher does not automatically mean it will be faster top end, but if it is the fjr should be slower through the gears as long as the power is the same.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
The trip computer on my GPS takes all the guesswork and bullshit out of top speed claims. Let me tell you that you are really going a lot slower than you think you are, or that the instruments indicate.

I've only let the FJR run out to flat out about 3 times, but every time I've had luggage and the missus on the back. Unfortunately, I didn't have the GPS at the time, so I cant quote figures. But I think GPS would be the best way to get a true top speed measurement.

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Bernie said:
The trip computer on my GPS takes all the guesswork and bullshit out of top speed claims. .... But I think GPS would be the best way to get a true top speed measurement.
Couldn't agree more.

238kph = 149mph. Solo, with fully laden top bag (not hard case). Would have gone faster (a little) if I let it. If I had realised I was so close to 150mph I would have let it run, just to say - see! :twisted:

Disclaimer: Don't try this at home, private roads with a skilled rider under controlled conditions, yadda yadda yadda 8)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I concur on a top speed of about 150 mph. The magazines ran theirs at 150 without bags, 148 with bags. That agrees with my own independant studies at my secret high-speed test track here in north Texas.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. :D

·
Registered
119 Posts
@David
Which GPS is that screenshot taken from? I really like the display layout.

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Garmin GPSV, bought about 3 or 4 years ago, and now superseded, as is the way of all electronics. The screen is able to be customised, as in there are about 20 or 25 different items you can have displayed in any of the 'boxes', and you can arrange them in any screen layout you prefer, as long as it is 'within the grid'. I rarely have max speed showing (it doesn't help if officer friendly is discussing the local speed limit I may have momentarily exceeded for the first time today), but call it up at the end of a ride. Usually I'll have 'Elevation' in that box. As with all units (I think) it is simple to switch between Metric and Imperial units of measurement.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks!
I need another job so that I can have more farkling money.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
I have never tapped the rev limiter in top gear on my FJR on a public road. I think I got it to an indicated 140 once. It seems I rarely go over 100 mph on the FJR. Just getting old I guess.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Well, as for the public road question I am guilty. Here in southern Florida we have a road called "Alligator Alley" which is about 50 miles straight through the everglades. I made it across in about 27 minutes (one early morning with no traffic) and I hit an indicated 152Mph. That's enough to scare me a wee bit. My buddy was riding my FZ1 and was pulling away from me so I suspect that it is a smidge faster than the FJR. I was alone on the bike and no Givi trunk, just bags.

Ann and I constantly hit 200Kph last year on our Europe trip. She wouldn't let me go much faster and I respect her wishes. After the Europe trip it seems so slow to travel on our US roads.

By the way I saw a couple of FJR's down in Key West last week. An 03 and 04 I think.

Boof

·
Registered
107 Posts
The only thing that I am sure of is that on the public roads the bike is faster than me. :oops:

·
Registered
666 Posts
I had for a brief spell 150mph indicated two up with cases & soft bag on rear rack. Wife thought it was funny cause two of my mates were behind one on a blade one on a blackbird the bird went stonking past he reckons about 175 as he passed me.The wind blast was astonishing as he passed the laugh we had later in the bar was hilarious.It was in France & the bar man thought we were talking km until we told him mph ooh happy days :D Now i'm getting too old for those silly things :wink:

1 - 20 of 61 Posts