FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking on site for top mods not farkels so much but engine, lights etc...

Hacks or mods for our gen III bikes not farkles

removing air induction carb stuff for example

I searched the site and didnt find anything so posting

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
2,830 Posts
Removing the PAIR stuff is nice for servicing other stuff on/near the head. Don't think it has any other effect.
Seat is a common one.
Lights - if you like the bike to light up like a spaceship then there are a lot of options. Seems like every bike I buy has half a dozen extra lights cobbled on to it - one of the first things I remove. My only proviso to that is that I like to upgrade to LED headlights.
Other than that - what kind of topcase do you want, if you want one. Or if you are goofy like me you get rid of the stock luggage entirely and mount aftermarket panniers and top case.

Reactions: skippy344!

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,084 Posts
Caveat because I'm not 100% sure which years.... either 2013-5 or 2016-up, or all 2013-up..... you can remove the PAIR but if the solenoid is unplugged, it will set an error code.... ECU needs to see it's connected, or put an equivalent resistor in its place.

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
2,830 Posts
Caveat because I'm not 100% sure which years.... either 2013-5 or 2016-up, or all 2013-up..... you can remove the PAIR but if the solenoid is unplugged, it will set an error code.... ECU needs to see it's connected, or put an equivalent resistor in its place.
Don't the kits usually come with the little stub plug if it is needed? I know the kit for my Vstrom did

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
Well the most bang for the buck is suspension. I'd be willing to bet the FJR has more power than 95% of the guys here can effectively use.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,084 Posts
What be that???

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
California bikes as I understand it have California air resources board smog bits that other bike dont have and many remove the power robbing bits

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
2,830 Posts
California bikes as I understand it have California air resources board smog bits that other bike dont have and many remove the power robbing bits
Just an EVAP canister and I believe different ecm programming.
Feeling short of power?

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,084 Posts
Freddie, put your bike in your profile, I forget what year we're talking about.... if 2015, no differences in ECU for California.
Charcoal can to capture fuel vent vapors...... no harm to performance unless you waterlog it with fuel from overfilling.......
PAIR system has no effect on performance, passive air into exhaust headers post combustion to help combust unburnt gasses.

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
Ray I removed all the PAIR plumbing on my '015 and the solenoid is just hanging there (well, sealed with a rubber cap and electrical tape). No codes at all.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,084 Posts
Ray I removed all the PAIR plumbing on my '015 and the solenoid is just hanging there (well, sealed with a rubber cap and electrical tape). No codes at all.
No harm in leaving it there..... you could try to unplug it and see if a code develops... easily cleared. Check resistance of solenoid and can use equivalent resistor if you want the real estate.

·
Premium Member
4,073 Posts
Performance mods? Suspension and perhaps lighting.

Engine mods? <shrug> Unlike a Harley, there's just not much bolt on hp to be found in the engine. Even Ivan's ECU reflash, although it may have other benefits, only adds 2 or 3 hp at the top of the curve. Although the FJR with its mildly tuned engine would seem to be a prime candidate for hot rodding, there is a dearth of "fast parts" (cams, pistons, etc.) for the FJR. I suspect the main limitation is the low volume airbox.

If you want performance, buy an R-1.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts