FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
The 11 I just bought has a Givi and the prior owner drilled a hole through the bottom of the box and through the mount, and secured it to the mount with some washers and a cotter pin. Ain't going anywhere.
We did this with our Givi boxes and never had to worry again. We did this because my wife's Givi popped off one day on a ride.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
It does have those reinforcing pieces you circled in yellow as well as the rubber piece in front. Box is very snug when put in place but the latching Tung only comes out about 3/8" and doesn't appear it can come out any further than that. The top of the latching tung is tapered which makes it easier to pop loose. I checked to see if it could possibly skipped a gear but it appears to come out as for as it can. Taking it to the dealer in a couple of days to get their thoughts. But definitely installing a bolt and nut on each side of the box thru the metal backer on the bottom of the box thru the mounting plate. The whole mounting plate appears to be made of plastic of some sort which surprises me.
I am sure that something going wrong there in the locking mechanism!
It is not easy for the oem top box to fell out if the rubber is in his position and the latching tung comes out all the way!I think that the latching tung jumped a tooth..With the previous mounting bracket design without the reinforcing pieces some top boxes fell out from the bracket under some strong hits from the road or when the passenger lets all his weight on the top box..For that reason the Yamaha reinforced the mounting plate also reinforced the top boxe with a metal plate..
Let us know what the Yamaha dealer said..
And do not tighten this bolt with a wrench!Only a very slight tight by your fingers only..and a drop of blue locktite..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Yamaha steps up to the plate

I took the bike to the dealer and they're pretty sure the mechanism on the bottom of the box is not working properly. The mounting plate was the new version. Yamaha said they would replace the box and since they don't have that particular blue color they're taking it to a body shop to have it painted. This bike is a 2006 it's eight model years old I'm really impressed that Yamaha would stand behind it. That being said I could imagine driving down the freeway and the box falls off cars going every direction somebody gets in a crash, they sue everyone and who has the deep pockets? Yamaha.....

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
I have a simple solution for making sure my GIVI topbox stays put. It's a simple quick-release strap that threads through the mounting rack and the handle. Piccies will come later.

When touring I always take the topbox into the motel at night so a bolted solution is not for me.

Here are the piccies:
(yep - rode in the rain yesterday and the bike needs a cleaning)

Close up showing how the strap goes through the rack:

And with the topbox handle open/unlatched:

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I took the bike to the dealer and they're pretty sure the mechanism on the bottom of the box is not working properly. The mounting plate was the new version. Yamaha said they would replace the box and since they don't have that particular blue color they're taking it to a body shop to have it painted. This bike is a 2006 it's eight model years old I'm really impressed that Yamaha would stand behind it. That being said I could imagine driving down the freeway and the box falls off cars going every direction somebody gets in a crash, they sue everyone and who has the deep pockets? Yamaha.....
I told you that is something going wrong with the mechanism!It is very difficult for this top box to fell out from the mounting bracket if the mechanism works good!A very good motion from Yamaha to replace the top box for free after all these years!!!
As for the new version of the mounting bracket,here is the latest version with the metal spacers inside the three holes of the bracket:If your mounting bracket haven't these three metal spacers let them knows in Yamaha dealer what is the latest version!

·
Registered
184 Posts
FACT: After mine came off the only 2 times I used it. 3rd time was a test. I found the YAMAHA a POOR design. My top case had the screws for latch loctited as required a day before it's 1st use with only 3000 miles on the bike. Latch is perfect. Testing -One significant bump or pot hole causes the FRONT tongue/lip to pop out. Yes that 9" long tongue to pop out. I have just such a bad area by my home street. It popped 50' from my driveway with a "pop" that I heard at just 25mph and watch my top case wiggle in the mirror. Stopped just in time. The latching mechanism held w/o issue. The front tongue/lip only 1/2" is not deep enough to engage properly the mounting rack and guarantee secure mounting. It was not the latch in my case. Now seems you gotta use bolts thru the mount to insure it does not leap off. I will be drilling 2- 1/4" holes using stainless bolts from inside and fender washers, nylock nuts from under PLUS using Black Permatex plastic welder(advance auto) to extend the lip. The stuff bonds to ABS w/excellent results. Using it for past 30 years. but the fumes can make some people sick. Yamaha part was for 06-07...all later ones had it. My mount build date 6/12. So I think previous owner ordered everything after purchase.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Any hance you can stick that in the thread I was just told to go f**k myself in? :LOL:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Being an 09 paint, I have the reinforcement plate installed . case popped, latch holding, string to warn me ,"popped".
something is flexing. Maybe the reinforcement plate not working ?

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car
Car seat cover Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exterior Motor vehicle
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2003 FJR1300 Liquid Silver
128 Posts
I see kits on eBay for 03-05 and for 06-07. here is the latter of the two: CLICK HERE
I think part of it is a plate that reinforces the bottom of the trunk. I will look at mine when I get home to see for sure.
I think the bottom of your trunk may be cracked, or otherwise flexing and allowing it to pop out of the mount. Stiffening that bottom may be the fix.
I'll post some pics later.

·
Registered
474 Posts
That black "adapter" is the Yamaha mounting plate which I think came with the top box when it was purchased. And if memory also serves the metal plate you have on the bottom of your box was a later recall fix, which as surmised was due to the boxes developing stress cracks along the bottom corners. Don't think it had anything to do with the latching mechanism but as you can probably tell the rubber feet did take up some of the play between the plate and the box. That does cause you to push down a little when attaching the box and thus putting a little constant pressure on the top of the latching 'tongue' which ends up making the whole shebang a little snugger. No idea if the purpose of that plate was to take up slack between the two or just to simply reinforce the plastic. I suspect the latter though.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yes, I have the latest Adapter. As said, I changed to the Alloy rear case mount after my case popped out.
Reserector, Your top case pictured shows the "tongue/lip" appears to have 3 detents or one long detent for the Adapter to hook into. Mine has no such detents. Just a smooth lip. Please see my pics above for comparison. If there is supposed to be the detents in all Top cases..... Then we found the cause of the tongue(lip) popping out . I have a defective case ! Anyone else with 1st hand experience having a 39L top case ?

21 - 38 of 38 Posts