FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Top Box Fell Off see pictures

My top box fell off yesterday the first time I used it. I purchase a 2006 a couple of months ago with a Yamaha rear top box. I put it on the bike to use as a back rest for my wife's first ride. As I was riding solo home to pick her up the box just fell off. I picked it up and installed it again to see what could have happened apparently the bump I hit dislodged the rear latching device. all I had to do was lift the back of the box firmly and it came right off. I confirmed the latch was all the way in place but it looks like a bad design as the latch doesn't have much overlap to keep it in place. Has anyone had this happen to them?

·
Registered
789 Posts
I had an Yama top box before and it locked in place very well. Went for several rides with my wife on the back and her using the accessory back rest without a problem. Was the box used before? If so, maybe the previous owner did something to the box or mount...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll post some pictures later today. I assume the previous owner used the box. if you had a passenger leaning against it I don't believe the rear latch would come lose because the rear of the box would have down pressure on it. I still wouldn't trust it until I'm sure I can keep it latched securely...

·
Registered
345 Posts
I lost a side pannier when I first got my bike unlike you I didn't even realise it had gone so it was a total loss, not cheap to replace either. I hope you find out what went wrong and it is fixable. I have the Yamaha top box so I'm interested in your post and what you find.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Flying topbox

Hi same thing happened to me on my 2009 fjr. I was only half a mile from home when the yamaha topbox fell off . I had just put on the box and I did not make sure it was fully locked in place ,an expensive lesson now I always give it a good hard pull back and forth before I go out on the bike .

·
Registered
211 Posts
The 11 I just bought has a Givi and the prior owner drilled a hole through the bottom of the box and through the mount, and secured it to the mount with some washers and a cotter pin. Ain't going anywhere.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's some pix of the box that fell off. I have a Iphone video as well of the box being latched and coming off but not sure how to upload it. The latch seems to be working properly but a firm pull up at the back of the box releases it. Any ideas of what's wrong?

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like that idea of bolting it down and I'll do that to make sure my wife doesn't fall off with it. But it's too late for the box. The upper part can be fixed and repainted but not sure what to do with the bottom part as it's plastic, unpainted with a texture.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Have your dealer run your Vin for a recall! Don't remember the years involved but was an issue with the cracking in the OEM latch mechanism! Probably won't do anything for the damaged case but would prevent a reoccurrence.

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,701 Posts
The recall was for the mount plate, not the top box.

Based on the pictures, I guess that the latch handle was not secured. The lid release handle can be down and the box release handle partway up and the key removed. Perhaps the handle just worked up due to not being locked down. I've inadvertently done this a couple times but luckily never had the box come off. Even did it one time with a saddlebag latch.

·
Registered
425 Posts
there is a rubber strip on the front edge of the trunk to set the box back firmly in the mechanism....make sure that is there

·
Registered
351 Posts
Well, thanks for the information. This will probably prevent others from the same fate. A deal like this is worse than a swift kick in the nutts. At least when you get kicked the pain goes away in a few minutes.

·
Registered
97 Posts
This problem is usually caused by not having the trunk properly seated at the FRONT. Been there and lost that. Eventually mine was found & returned...

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
The problem is in the mechanism,there is a ratchet with gears,for an unknown reason,perhaps the top box wasn't in his right position and the previous owner tried to lock it and with the force the gears jumped one or two teeth.It listening sad,but is not repairable..The solution is a new top box...In the lock position,the tongue must come out about an inch or more..
If your mounting bracket has these reinforcements in the yellow circles,and if the mounting bracket is in good condition without cracks,then the problem is in the locking mechanism.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It does have those reinforcing pieces you circled in yellow as well as the rubber piece in front. Box is very snug when put in place but the latching Tung only comes out about 3/8" and doesn't appear it can come out any further than that. The top of the latching tung is tapered which makes it easier to pop loose. I checked to see if it could possibly skipped a gear but it appears to come out as for as it can. Taking it to the dealer in a couple of days to get their thoughts. But definitely installing a bolt and nut on each side of the box thru the metal backer on the bottom of the box thru the mounting plate. The whole mounting plate appears to be made of plastic of some sort which surprises me.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts