FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 FJR 1300. Can anybody give me a link or name of a good tool to adjust the rear shock?

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,269 Posts
Should be no tools required if it's a stock shock. The only adjustments are the Hard/Soft lever and the rebound adjuster knob at the bottom of the shock.
IF aftermarket, if you're wanting to tweak preload and don't have a remote hydraulic preload adjuster, you will most likely have to remove the shock, adjust, re-install, try it, etc. Damping adjustments however should be accessible.
What are you looking to adjust??

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The rebound adjuster. I didn't realize it could be hand adjusted. I tried turning it and was able to. I was expecting to hear clicks. Should I?

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,269 Posts
Might be some road crud making the ball bearing detent stick. Work it, perhaps a little spray of PB50 or other penetrating lube... fully turn clockwise (looking up) until it seats (lightly), then back out 7-8 clicks to start. Go ride, tweak from there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was wearing heavy gloves so I didn't hear or feel them. I'll try cleaning the knob, some WD40, some thinner gloves and see where that gets me. At this point I think it's OK. Maybe a little hard. I just want to know where it is.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I discovered the previous owner had the knob adjusted past the clocks towards soft. When I was turning it back to hard the clicks finally engaged! I set it to standard.

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,269 Posts
Naw, you really are still soft at 12 clicks... dial 'er in to 8 clicks out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts