FJR Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wife in her infinite wisdom decided to put down flex seal on the driveway instead of crack sealer. Don’t get me wrong. The stuff works great. Although is slippery as hell when wet. So I pulled out of the garage January 2nd in New England because it was absolutely beautiful out and around 50ish degrees. Why not go for a ride in January even though the ground was still a bit wet? The front tire caught the tiniest bit of flex seal and down I go. I have a 2013 that has only seen five rain storms. Immaculate. Regardless after much swearing and effort to pick it up I have scratches on the front upper left body. Not too deep. Any recommendations on how to paint and repair? I’d like to do it myself without going to a body shop. My wife feels terrible and may let me get a new one since this one is ten years old. But I love my bike with the modifications I’ve made to it and super low miles. Not ready to start over just yet. Thanks in advance for any advice!

· Premium Member
2,299 Posts
How bad are the scratches? Post some pics.

They may be able to be buffed out and polished, although usually never 100%.
You may be able to light sand and spray with a kit from ColorRite ---> ColorRite Motorcycle Paint
Or if your wife is really feeling guilty get yourself a new body panel from Yamaha.

Then again, if it's "super low miles" why bother fixing this one or get a new one that won't be ridden either? I personally wouldn't lose sleep over it.

I mean you're willing to buy a new bike because this one is scratched, so why won't you take it to a body shop and have it done professionally if you're that bothered about it?

· Registered
2006 FJR1300 A
14 Posts
Pics would help alot. The trick to get the focus on the damage is to point to it with your finger when you snap the pic, have your finger almost touching it. Or see if Partzilla has that panel, they come painted. But no fasteners, they're extra.

· Registered
923 Posts
Fix it. look around your area for a hobbyist painter who would be willing to help. My friend recently had the same issue with his BMW. Had a local guy paint a few panels for $100. Great job also.
Add your location in your information so we know where you reside.

· Registered
2008 FJR1300A in San Diego
93 Posts
The previous owner to my bike said he dropped it once. There are light scuffs in the paint on the left mirror and just a wee bit on the lower side case. I assumed the mirror stay didn’t bust off cause he had frame sliders on the bike and they might have taken the brunt of the impact before the mirror touched down but I dunno.

Left frame slider was scuffed up and looked a bit long in the tooth so I replaced the both of them with a $28 pair on Amazon. They’re about a half inch longer than the frame sliders they replaced so these should offer a bit more protection should the bike ever get dropped again.

Microphone Automotive tire Cosmetics Cylinder Line

· Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,859 Posts
That paint is hard to match....... you're not the first to have scuffs there...... might I suggest you adopt the "chicks dig scars" approach 😎

· Registered
2007 FJR1300A
3,443 Posts
Get one of these stickers
Automotive parking light Car Automotive tail & brake light Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Reactions: Whooshka

· Registered
3,771 Posts
Pics sure would help on this ! Depending on the severity I would pull the fairing and take it to a professional although that cost may be about the same as just buying a new panel, but pulling it would give you a chance to inspect the mirror stay for damage.

· Registered
3 Posts
I have painted a couple sets of mirrors on bikes I picked up to sell. I am not a paint and body guy but they came out really good and I'd think most people that have experience and feel comfortable with spray cans could do it. Let me say first, all materials came from a commercial automotive paint store. First I block sanded the area to see how deep the scratches were. I had some catalyzed self leveling glazing putty that I filled the scratches with and block sanded. Definitely get the type that requires catalyst. I don't believe the glazing putty is recommended for over 1/16" thick, but I doubt yours scratches are. Then I spray can primed the area with primer recommended by the auto paint store, not catalyzed. Block sand again. You may need two coats of primer. Finally have the store mix some matching paint in a spray can. I have not had any luck with color codes, for some reason my store isn't able to match them, but they use a machine/tool that reads the color spectrum of the paint on the bike and mix accordingly. This color paint is not catalyzed. Do not sand the colored paint. The final step is to clear coat it with a spray can of catalyzed clear spray. They'll have this on hand. If possible clear coat the entire panel, but make sure you scuff it with 600 wet & dry before applying your color coat because you don't want to do any sanding after the color coat is applied. You want to avoid hard edges when priming, painting and clear coating. If you're painting the entire panel it's not an issue but if you're only painting a portion, you'll want to fade the spray patterns on the edges. Do not paint up to the masking tape and then peel the tape. This will make a hard edge that's hard to deal with. Some painters lay down masking tape but leave the edge of the tape nearest the repair up in the air so as to not get a hard edge. I also sometimes use a piece of cardboard held in one hand to keep spray away from the tape, maybe 1/2"-1" off the surface. Watch a lot of youtube videos to know what grit sandpaper to use on the different steps and get general ideas. All of the materials, assuming you have nothing, will run about $200. Sand paper, glazing putty, primer, labor to scan your paint color on your bike, mix paint in can and catalyzed clear coat.
Fuel tank Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

· Premium Member
2,299 Posts
Well done Tether.

Reactions: Tethercarguy
1 - 13 of 13 Posts