FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a tom tom go700 GPS. Seems to be a very nice unit. Self contained-already has everything loaded $746 online. I looked at the magellan for $1000 and it seems to be just as good.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Number2,

I've been running a TomTom Go since the turn of the year. Made up an extra mount so that it can work in the car or on the bike.

Rewired the mount to give a sound output which feeds into the intercom system. Very pleased with it.

Some velcro strips provide stabilisation.

And if it rains? Transparent food bag and a clip.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I was interested in the Rider when it was first roumooured (a long time ago) However, as more details have been released and having played with one at the NEC, I think I may settle on a GO 500 rather than the Rider.

My reasons are mainly around the fact that there is no audio connection to feed my intercom system (you are supplied with a bluetooth receiver which you can connect to an intercom but this requires yet more optional extras). In addition there is no speaker. This combined with the fact that there is also no facility to plug-in an external antena, means it's not easly portable to use in my car.

The GO is cheaper, proven technology and apart from not being waterproof, offers all the functionality of the Rider (and more). I've used TomTom on a PDA with a freezer bag condom for 2 years and had no problems at all, so Ill use the same technique on the GO.

I've just added a bluetooth input to my Starcom intercom which works like a dream with my phone. I am hoping I may be able to pair the TomTom GO with the receiver as well, but I susspect the receiver will only allow one 'active' pairing at any one time, so I may have to revert to the hard wired audio out for the GPS.

While I could and have managed without it, GPS navigation is one of the most impressive technologies of recent times, it makes travel in unfamiliar teritory far safer than trying to refer to maps etc.

Just my 2 pennies for what it's worth

·
Registered
149 Posts
As I understand it the rider sound is via a bluetooth unit that then has a headset coming from it . If thats the case then it should be easy to connect the bluetooth unit to the intercom just with a cable and then use the standard intercom cables for the normal headset

I know what I mean even if it doesnt sound it :lol:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Is the 500 a hard-disk unit - or is that just the 700?

I'd be a tad wary about using a hard-disk satnav rigidly mounted on a motorbike because of the increased vobrations compared to a car.

When the Rider was first mooted, TomTom were stating a May delivery, so I went for the classic TTG expecting the Rider to be late. I needed a device for the summer to do a solo drive to the Dordogne and back. It did the job admirably and has been really useful here in the UK.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'd be a tad wary about using a hard-disk satnav rigidly mounted on a motorbike because of the increased vobrations compared to a car.
I agree. I think the 700 is the only one with the hard drive. The 300 & 500 are SD cards.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Yes.

I had a microdrive in my Ipaq on the bike and it would skip quite badly.

Alan

·
Registered
632 Posts
A lot depends on your helmet.

1. Always wear earplugs.
2. Some helmets are quieter that others. I have a Shoei Z1 and a Schuberth S1 both of which are quiet. Arai's are known to be noisy.
3. Make sure the earpieces (especially Autocom ones) are positioned correctly - even 5mm out can make a difference.

I can hear the GPS prompts at silly speeds. The S1 is slightly better.

Alan

·
Registered
35 Posts
I use the normal disposable foam ear-plugs and I have a Nolan N-101 flip front helmet.

I have no problems at all hearing the GPS prompts regardless of speed. However, I do receive my audio via a Starcom intercom system which has automatic volume control. In other words, you set a comfotable volume at standstill and the system automatically adjusts the volume to counter any detected noise as you ride.

Works fine for me.

Regards,

Glenn

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm set up as per Glenn. Works very well.

Additionally, the TTG has a setting to increase volume in proportion to speed. But I found this, combined with the Starcom's volume increase system, to be almost deafening.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can the Tom Tom Rider be mount on a FJR 1300?

Can the Tom Tom Rider be mount on a FJR 1300?
I lookd all the internet and found nothing about this matter
Is there any one that have mounted a tmotmo rider in is FJR?
Can you post pictures of it?
Thanks

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have just bought the Rider and used the mirror mount fixing supplied with it. It is perfectly ok and a robust unit, waterproof and easy to use. The power lead connects to the mount itself so no need to push a lead in and out of the unit when you take it off / on. It even switches itself on when you put it in the mount so no fiddling with a button through your gloves. Just trying to figure out how to get it to talk through the autocom!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Autocom is developing a cable for the Tomtom. I have one on order but they have no idea when it may be ready. I now have the Tomtom speaker on my left ear and the Autocom speaker on my right. PITA but it works. So far the Rider is great. Bluetooth and all.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts