FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha FJR1300ES
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being relatively new to the motorcycling world (<3 years), I haven't had to deal with this before and am wondering if there's an easier way.

Nearly all toll roads I ride on (for whatever reason), scan plates and send you a bill in the mail. HOWEVER, I'll be taking a few trips that require either transponders (which I don't have because I don't live in the state/they're too expensive for one time use) or physically handing over money at the toll gate. There are 3 toll gates on 77 in WV, for example.

For the experienced riders out there...what's the best way of managing toll fees on a motorcycle?

Fiddling with Gloves/wallet/glovebox/etc each time seems...annoying. Certainly, the folks in cars behind you would be impatient.

Weird question, I know but...anyone got any tricks for making the process less painful?

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
2,830 Posts
I rarely wear gloves (unless it is cold), and I almost always wear DTC cargo pants on the bike. So I just keep cash (and nothing else) in the left side cargo pocket for tolls when going through areas that require them.

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
OK so I do have an EZ Pass on the bike, makes life easy. But I also have a zipper compartment on my sleeve I put 4 or 5 $10 bills in. I pull up to the toll booth and pull out a $10 bill, shove the change back in the compartment and take off. If the cagers behind you are impatient that's THEIR problem, I never let that bother me.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,084 Posts
Check out the website for the toll service in your area...... I just got an EZ Pass... nothing to do but spend $25 as a deposit... tolls come off that balance, and when it gets down to $10, it tops up again (charged to your credit card). There is no fee for the transponder if you use this method. Can register up to 4 vehicles on the same transponder. EZ Pass partners with some other providers, e..g, I just paid for a toll while coming by Chicago.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
My Aerostich Roadcrafter jacket has a handy zippered pocket on the right sleeve that provides quick access to cash for tolls or other necessities.

Jeans Outerwear Product Textile Neck

·
Registered
46 Posts
I-Pass is accepted in a lot of places, and is what I use. I put the transponder in the tank bag and keep riding. If I am not using a tank bag, I put it in the arm pocket of my Aerostich, shown above.

A lot of states now use two different toll fees - one for a transponder, and another for cash which is usually twice the transponder fee. You may find that getting a transponder is cheaper in the long run. I don't live in any of the below highlighted states, but I have an I-pass.
Product Font Line Map Magenta

·
Registered
2020 FJR1300ES
208 Posts
I rarely wear gloves (unless it is cold), and I almost always wear DTC cargo pants on the bike. So I just keep cash (and nothing else) in the left side cargo pocket for tolls when going through areas that require them.
Rarely wear gloves? Now I'm not normally a gear preacher, so I apologize, but having hit 2 deer has proved (to me at least) that the first thing you will do is instinctfully outstretch your arms to absorb impact.
Bye bye skin on your hands. 😉

·
Premium Member
412 Posts

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
2,830 Posts
I just don't see any reason to wear them. Never really wore gloves when I raced mountain bikes or road bikes either. I run extra thick grips with grip puppies on them, so my hands are comfortable. If it is cold I have 3 different weights of gloves and when I go on a trip they are all along.

Reactions: jamwr

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
2,830 Posts
Rarely wear gloves? Now I'm not normally a gear preacher, so I apologize, but having hit 2 deer has proved (to me at least) that the first thing you will do is instinctfully outstretch your arms to absorb impact.
Bye bye skin on your hands. 😉
Well, if I crash I guess I will wish I had some ;) I wear a fullface helmet, boots and a jacket with an upgraded back plate. That's my level of want for gear. (Note - I am not suggesting that people not wear them, I just don't)

·
Registered
2003 FJR1300 Liquid Silver
129 Posts
For cash lanes that catch me unprepared, I stay to the right until I can pull over. I get my money ready, put it someplace that I can grab it with gloves, and get back in line. The cash lanes are usually off to the side, so it usually isn't hard to get back into the flow.
It's rare that you'd get caught off guard that close to the booth, though. Most tolls that I have seen have signs before you get there. Pull over before the lanes split up, get organized and go through.

If there are a few bikes in your group, take turns paying for all. so you only stop once for the whole group.

If you need change, the cars behind will wait. Take the change and stuff it in a tank bag or something. Put it in your wallet next time you stop.

·
Registered
475 Posts
As said above go for the transponder. (EZ Pass for me.) No charge, just a credit card on file. Might as well get used to it as cashless tolling will be the norm all over. Toll booths are going the way of VCRs.

Brought back memories of when the transponders first came out though. Many of them didn't work as intended. Pull up to a converted unattended lane and nothing, gate stays down. Toot the horn and wait for the annoyed cop or attendant to come over. Take glove off, grab transponder and hand it over. They would go and BANG IT a few times directly on the reader to get the gate to raise then hand it back. Put it back where you had it, gloves back on and don't look in the mirror at all the pissed off faces glaring at you. Haven't had that issue in awhile however with the newer technology I guess.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,084 Posts
Yes, I should mention....... they have removed the toll booths on I-90 and only electronic exists now. Which means they read your plate, send you the bill... with a transponder, there is a discount on the toll, and for motorycles the toll is half. I resisted EZ Pass until the booths disappeared.... I just got mine about 6 weeks ago.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,084 Posts
Absolutely...... I'm talking in the car for the most part.... I try not to let my bike see interstates and toll roads.

·
Registered
2009 FJR1300A
255 Posts
Well, if I crash I guess I will wish I had some ;) I wear a fullface helmet, boots and a jacket with an upgraded back plate. That's my level of want for gear. (Note - I am not suggesting that people not wear them, I just don't)
That’s just silly. I think I’d give up all that gear except the helmet and keep the gloves. I don’t know about you but I use my hands for a lot of things in my day to day life. I hit some gravel and low sided one time at about 25-30mph. Picked the bike up and went home not much worse for the wear. Looking at my right glove I’m pretty sure my hand would be destroyed if I didn’t have it on. We should start a GoFundMe called “Save Oldjeep’s hands” and use the money to mail him a pair of gloves every week. 😉 I know, I know, you won’t wear them…

• Haha
Reactions: Oldjeep

·
Registered
9 Posts
All my riding has been in Illinois and Indiana, so I keep I-Passes. I never felt comfortable mounting it to the Strom windshield so I've always just kept it in my left jacket pocket...fairly easy to get out with gloves, and I can hit neutral on the approach and still control the brakes.

Same thing I did with garage door openers before having the storage on the FJR.

·
Registered
2021 FJR1300, 2015 Kawasaki Versys 650, 2010 Vespa GTS 300
8 Posts
I have an EZPass on my bike and when I did some riding in Florida on my previous bike I got a SunPass while I was there. I keep a bit of cash in the sleeve pocket of my jacket just in case but I haven't had to stop at a toll for quite some time.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Cash toll booths already gone in Chicago. Since I was just passing thru I had no use for a transponder. Sicne I did not have a transponder there was more confusion (for someone who has nothing like this where I live) as to if you have to pull thru the old toll booth place so it can camera your plate. Half way thru I decided I shoudl to be safe. So drive thru then go online & pay your "estimated" tolls (if you can figure it out exactly, you are more of a math whiz than me). If you wait for them to send you an invoice it will be higher than if you pay before the bill.

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
2,830 Posts
I have no idea how much cheaper it is to make it easy on them, but the bills we get from FL a month or 2 after being there amount to squat so we don't worry about toll passes. If it were a daily thing I would care, but for the occasional week where tolls are a thing it isn't worth worrying about. Being an older (50's) guy I always have at least $50 in cash, mostly because I can remember when not everyone took cards or if they did wanted to charge your $10 purchase.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts