FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi -
I am sure this one has been beat to death, but I am new to the family (and this forum), as I just (last weekend) picked up an 04 FJR with low mileage. I wanted an 04 because I had to have the Silver color, I think it looks great. I got the Owners Manual with the bike and bought a Service Manual (on ebay - a pretty good deal @ $42. I bought the manual a couple of weeks ago. Figured if I bought the manual it would in part FORCE me to go through with the deal of buying the bike - what logic huh), and being realively competent with a wrench I hope Im good to go. My question, any comments or thoughts on Synthetic Oil? Should I give it a go or stick with Dino. I probably won't be turning any large amount of miles so probably will be changing it every 3 -5,000 miles no matter what (once or twice a year). I know, its probably a personal preference thing - BUT - just curious to hear what some of you seasoned vets have to say! Regards -

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Hi Mike, and welcome. Congrats on your new ride, I wish you many happy miles. You probably won't get much serious response to your question, as this topic has been done to death time and time again. Use the search function, search for 'oils' and 'synthetic', then repeat here: http://www.fjrowners.com/fjro4/aus.html. After you have completed your research, you'll probably find that your question gets some thought-out response here :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes - the 'syn' thread seems to have stirred things up a bit over at FJR Forum - as I said over there I knew it was going to be a 'Potato - Patato'
type of thing. As far as my location -San Clemente, CA, and I'll take all the 'heat' my ride will throw.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Try Rotella-T syn 5w-40. $14 at WalMart. If your bike has 1500 to 2k miles on it, it is ok to go to syn. Some say sooner and some say later. I think that is a good time to go to syn. Did it on all my bikes and they loved me for it. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts