FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard rumours that in France (or possibly Germany?) both cars and motorcycles have to carry fluorescent jackets for all the occupants. If you haven't then in addition to the 35 euro fine for each person not provided for, you have to buy a vest from the Police at 15 euros a time.

Now I know that Spain had brought in rules about hi-viz (not as strict as this though), but didn't know about the other countries. Is this just an urban myth, or is this another item to find a space for on holiday :?

·
Registered
141 Posts
You have to carry them as in with you. If you break down at the side of the road, you have to wear one so other traffic can see you. Not wearing one in such a situation will result in a fine. So you don't have to wear one while riding.

·
Registered
728 Posts
This explains why the proliferation of hi viz jackets on the parcel shelves of cars, or has no one else noticed? It sends a clear message: honest hossifer. I've got one and you don't need to stop me.

We just keep little fold up ones in the panniers. Or you could put one on the fairing cupboard if you like.

PS. Why is it called a fairing then?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Sorry, I must be dense.

I must admit that I don't know what the regulations about High-viz are in Eurp BUT does it really matter?? :?

Personally so do I try to be as visable as possible, especially when the traffic is congested or the weather conditions are bad. I would never tour without some sort of High-viz clothing in my luggage (be it vest, harness or jacket), a vest doesn't really take any space and weighs next to nothing if you go for one of the cheapo ones.

In my case, my waterproof jacket is a High-viz bomber jacket (if you are around the M3-M4 "corridor" in UK you might have seen me - I'm the one with "thank you" on the back)

One example:

Imagine that you are a cardriver (Blah..)
You are driving down the motorway late at night, in the middle lane ofcourse - you are in the UK. Overtaking you is a biker in black leathers on a rather nice looking FJR, he (or she) is doing it by the book and after overtaking you he returns to the middle lane intending to stay there and overtake the car slightly infront of you in the inside lane.
BUT, when he is beside the car infront of you the driver of that car changes lane without warning, sending the rider flying.
Infront of you the only tings you see is now the breaklight of the car in the inside lane and the red/white light from the bike as it revolves down the middle lane. Any normal driver would in this situation swerve to avoid the obstructions he can see and slam on the brakes. But would you see and be able to avoid the rider laying in the outside lane without any light flashing from his direction?

Each to their own and so on, I don't say that me wearing my High-viz stuff will save me, or even being the best approach to saftey, but in my mind it is a cheap insurance that just might work(god forbid that I ever need to find out).

:ale:

·
Registered
728 Posts
Yes. It does matter if you are not complying with the law in a country where you are a guest.

·
Registered
141 Posts
+1 Liz. The Polizei really don't care if you are wearing a jacket that lights up when you break down. If you're not wearing a vest or don't have one, you will pay the fine.

BTW, a lot of countries like Germany also require you to carry a first aid kit, and TUV approved at that.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I understood perfectly. :) Point was you have to comply to legal requirements regardless of what your good habits are.

If you wear a harness cause you want to be visible, that's great, but you still need a vest if you break down.

·
Registered
181 Posts
afterburn said:
If you wear a harness cause you want to be visible, that's great, but you still need a vest if you break down.
There is an EU standard for high-viz garment (EN 471), you will find that certain harnesses has the same rating as and almost all jackets has a higer rating than the minimum required "vest"(Normally rated as Class 1 if sold at your local petrol station)

Sorry guys (and Liz), I need to get a life, I know. :oops: :oops:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts