FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Looks like a lot of meat left to me...did you measure pad thickness and are they uniformly worn?

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
8,706 Posts
Pads look OK...... dirty, take them out and clean things up. Caliper pistons are dirty too... before you remove pads, squeeze the brake lever to move the pistons out so more is exposed and you can clean them with a toothbrush and brake fluid....... rinse down after with isopropanol.

·
Registered
2016 FJR1300 ES
357 Posts
There seem to be many miles left in these pads...

·
Registered
2006 FJR 1300
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you having brake problems of any sort? If not, I'd say, "No." There's plenty of "wear" left in the pads.

If you don't like the way they look, just clean them.
Thanks. Brakes have felt a little slow, not quite as crisp, meaning they don’t seem to grab as hard. Thanks for the advice. Will clean them up. I would expect that would help. The left side was REALLY dirty. Maybe their not grabbing as hard because there’s dirt and gunck in there. I didn’t think they looked even in their wear, but I agree there seems to be pretty good amount of pad left
Pads look OK...... dirty, take them out and clean things up. Caliper pistons are dirty too... before you remove pads, squeeze the brake lever to move the pistons out so more is exposed and you can clean them with a toothbrush and brake fluid....... rinse down after with isopropanol.
thanks Razer. Will do just that

·
Registered
201 Posts
Do not use brake fluid to clean them, it is corrosive., use a specific brake cleaner with a toothbrush. The pads have not worn evenly which indicates that the thicker pads have sticky pistons. Give the calipers a thorough clean with the brake and caliper cleaner and rinse with plenty of water. If you cannot get the pistons clean you may need to replace them, with the seals. You can swap the pads around but be aware of that when you ride the bike.
If the front calipers are like this and the rear ones have not been checked it would be a good idea to do so. The rear calipers are 'floating' and need more maintenance than the front.

·
Registered
2006 FJR 1300
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do not use brake fluid to clean them, it is corrosive., use a specific brake cleaner with a toothbrush. The pads have not worn evenly which indicates that the thicker pads have sticky pistons. Give the calipers a thorough clean with the brake and caliper cleaner and rinse with plenty of water. If you cannot get the pistons clean you may need to replace them, with the seals. You can swap the pads around but be aware of that when you ride the bike.
If the front calipers are like this and the rear ones have not been checked it would be a good idea to do so. The rear calipers are 'floating' and need more maintenance than the front.
Thank you Linton. That’s great info. I hadn’t pulled the rear ones, but it sounds like I need to do that as well. Was planning on cleaning the front 2 calipers w/ brake cleaner and pressing on brake to expose pistons to assist in cleaning them. Appreciate all the advice everyone has expressed.

·
Premium Member
8,706 Posts
Some brake cleaners will harden the caliper seals.... on the pistons, use brake fluid and rinse with isopropanol. Brake cleaner on the rest if you like. Simple Green even.
If you have gunk, check your fork seals are not leaking......

Reactions: Rusty3

·
Registered
2006 FJR 1300
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Some brake cleaners will harden the caliper seals.... on the pistons, use brake fluid and rinse with isopropanol. Brake cleaner on the rest if you like. Simple Green even.
If you have gunk, check your fork seals are not leaking......
Thx razer. Forks Probably are leaking a little. That would explain the gunk.

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,509 Posts
A little resistance on the moving one should make the other one move. What happens if you push in the one that's out? And be careful when pushing pistons out- you may well use up all the brake fluid and start sucking air.

·
Premium Member
8,706 Posts
Fairly normal.... see the groove down the center? Put a piece of plywood in that groove to stop the pistons, keep pumping the others should come out. Remove your plywood and get your toothbrush out to clean them up.

·
Registered
2006 FJR 1300
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A little resistance on the moving one should make the other one move. What happens if you push in the one that's out? And be careful when pushing pistons out- you may well use up all the brake fluid and start sucking air.
When I pumped it out, I could then squeeze it back open with no effect on the other set.

·
Registered
2006 FJR 1300
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fairly normal.... see the groove down the center? Put a piece of plywood in that groove to stop the pistons, keep pumping the others should come out. Remove your plywood and get your toothbrush out to clean them up.
Thx Razer. Tried it and it seemed to work.
The other 2 “stuck” pistons did pump out onice the 1st 2 stopped. Seems ok. I guess I’ll know once I get it all back together.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Blue2006kcj,

Your calipers need to shift left and right a bit, when installed. Pressure on the brake lever then will "center" the caliper where it should be normally.
The brake rotors mount to the hub with "rivets;" each rivet must be free to rotate between the rotor and hub. Insert the correct-sized common screwdriver into the center of each rivet and rotate it right and left, until all the grit falls out and the rivet turns freely, as it should.
When finished, check that a short ride does not cause the brake rotor to get hot, but warm is okay. Then repeat, with a longer ride. If any rotor gets blistering-hot, when you were going easy on the brakes, then you have a serious problem there. It will not fix itself, and it may cause brake failure. Find and fix the cause of the problem, if any.

Reactions: blue2006kcj

·
Registered
2006 FJR 1300
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I cleaned left side and got back together, but here are pics of right side. Rear brake does seem to actuate the smaller piston. Front brake didn’t seem to actuate the top side of right caliper. And what worries me is the gasket seems to locking out. Suggestions?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,706 Posts
Not sure what you mean by the gasket seems to be locking out......
Nevertheless, if you have the left side back together, installed and bled, try bleeding the right upper.... master cylinder should have enough power then (ie, no air in the line) to pump the pistons out......

·
Registered
2006 FJR 1300
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not sure what you mean by the gasket seems to be locking out......
Nevertheless, if you have the left side back together, installed and bled, try bleeding the right upper.... master cylinder should have enough power then (ie, no air in the line) to pump the pistons out......
Dang big thumbs. Should have been “sticking out”. You can see the gaskets in the picture. Was concerned that I might have to replace them?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts