FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've had both the GT's and the GT2's. To be honest I felt no difference at all. Angel GT's are still available, I just ordered a front the other day. Unless you're referring to the Angel ST's.
We have grooved freeways here in So Cal and center grooves on tires tend to track on the freeway, not fun. I may try them as the grooves are a bit off center, just concerned about when the tires start to wear.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I just got rid of a set of Angels. They were on the bike when I bought it; no idea how many miles but they were seriously squared of, even tho lots of meat left on them. I was very under-impressed w/them and just today replaced them w/another set of Dunlop Roadsmart IVs, my go-to ST tire. This will be my 3rd set of Roadsmarts and I've been very pleased w/their performance on all three bikes, including my other FJR.
Lee

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Well anybody should be "under-impressed" with a "seriously squared off" tire. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
532 Posts
What type of mileage do you get with the Dunlops?

I don't know- I've never worn out a set before I traded off for another bike! They do seem to wear like iron tho. I think Dunlop quotes the RS4's for 15k, which is unheard of but you couldn't prove that by me. I've always liked the way the RS3/4s handled, the bike just falls into corners, they're quiet and do exceptionally well in the rain, a big prerequisite for me since I seem to find rain whenever I ride.

I'm a big Michelin PR fan too but $ for $, I think the Dunlops are a better buy.
Lee

·
Registered
21 Posts
Tires are like shoes...you go with what feels best. I am a die-hard fan of Michelin tires...have them on my Tundra, and my wife's Subaru and have had them on all my vehicles.
When I bought my 13 FJR the tires on it were Michelin Pilot Road 4's. They looked like they had about another 3-6 months of usable tread on them, but they were still pretty sticky in the corners and felt ok on the highway.

I bought the bike used, with zero service documentation and only the words of the seller on what was done. So I took it to my favorite shop in Vacaville CA and asked them to go thru EVERYTHING. This included replacing the tires...I figured why wait a few months...just get it done now.

I researched Bridgestone, Michelin, Continental, and Metzler. It was a close run between Metzler and Michelin. I have a good buddy that has an ST1300 and he runs the same Metzlers that I was looking at. So we went out for a ride through the Napa / Sonoma hills and we swapped bikes for about an hour. I was very impressed with how far I could comfortably lean his bike over in the turns and at pretty good speeds. I was even more impressed at how thin of a line the tires seemed to be on while just cruising on a straight road...and how easily they transitioned to a quick lean into a turn. At the end of the run, I felt the tires on my bike (Michelins) and the Metzlers that I was pushing thru corners and the Michelins were much hotter...a good 20 degrees hotter. We were both going the same speed, running the same way and he was behind me the whole time...probably yelling "DON'T CRASH MY BIKE" the whole time. It was funny, when it was time to switch back to our own bikes, I felt like I was missing out on those tires...I liked them that much.

So I ordered a set of the Metzler Roadtec 01 SE tires and had them put on at the shop...also had 90-degree valve stems put on both wheels. I have not been out in the hills yet...the new tires are still under 50 miles of break-in time...but on the freeway, I get that same feeling of being on a very thin line of contact while just rolling straight up down the freeway. My overall MPG has gone up .5 mpg in just three days of commuting to work and back ( about 30 miles round trip ) while driving the same way I always do.
I have just started to exercise the shoulders a bit. Something tells me that the FJR will limit out on lean angle long before these tires do. I keep them at 41 psi front and 40 psi rear for now...that may change as they wear in a little more. I feel like I have found the perfect tire for this bike...wondering if any of you have these tires and if you are as happy with them as I am.

Keep the rubber side down!

Michael
I'm looking at new tires at the moment. I had Metzler's on a ST1100 some time ago and thought they were fantastic. Checking prices they're a great value compared to Michelin's also. You've helped with my decision.

·
Registered
08 FJR13AX
383 Posts
I've been through many of the tires mentioned, but on various bikes... (many on a modified Bandit 1200).
  • I used Pirelli Angel's a couple of times... didn't get great wear out of them, and they didn't inspire my confidence. I don't think I've tried the GT's though, can't remember.
  • Had bad luck with Bridgestones in the past... will generally avoid them.
  • PR 4's - Good rubber but I've always worn out the fronts, which get squirrelly too soon, especially on the FJR, (it came with them when i bought it, and the front cupped quickly.. although maybe due to previous chassis issues ?).
  • Shinkos and Conti-Motions: budget tires that are best for burning-down on straight highway runs, IMO.
  • DUNLOPS. I'm currently using the RoadSmarts... and have been for a few years now. The 2's were actually quite decent; the III's are phenomenal on my bored-out Bandit 12, stick like glue in a corner and last about 8K, (quite good for that torquey motor- "Wheelies R Us"). Currently I have IV's on the Bandit and III's on the FJR. The verdict is still out on both of these setups... as mentioned I had some problems with the FJR's steering head bearings (and also a bent rear rim)... so those III's on the FJR might have been somewhat compromised. The IV's are working very well on the B12 so far, wearing evenly and providing very stable cornering.

RoadSmart IV's Back and Front, currently on my Bandit... here with about 2000 miles -

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Synthetic rubber

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

The FJR is very different than any other bike I've owned, mostly the weight and long wheelbase. So, I'm still in a learning-curve about which tires can do it justice.

Michelin PR5's - I'm tempted to spend the $ Dough $ on a set... but I'm leery about Michelins, after a few sets of IV's left a bad taste in my mouth. But I could see maybe trying a set of 5's in the Spring.

·
Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
1,202 Posts
The Michelin Road 5's are getting long in the tooth. They released in 2017.

The Michelin Road 6's are the jam now. But with our bikes, we should be sticking to the "GT" versions of those tires.

I am going to be mounting the Michelin Road 6 GTs on Orion, here pretty quickly.

The Metzeler Roadtec 01 SEs were great tires, all the way down to the wear bars!! But I only got 5000 miles outta them...

·
Registered
2013 FJR
64 Posts
I moved on to the Michelin Road 5 GTs with a bit of reluctance when they replaced the 4 GTs.
I need not have worried, these not only stick as well as the 4s, rain or shine, but have lasted far longer with less cupping deformation than anything I've tried on the FJR. I rarely use the word "amazing", but the 5 GTs have truly amazed me at how good they are.
I did Pirelli Angel GT IIs on a couple of bikes, most recently a fifth-gen VFR800. They have some 11,000 miles on them and are doing well, but the bike with get Road 5s when the time comes. I felt the Pirellis helped my slow-steering ZRX's handlebar feel, but the VFR didn't need that kind of help. The GT IIs did wear into an odd shape, even with a lot of tread depth left. If I was the sort who used his tires down to the wear bars, I'm positive these would exceed 15,000 miles. Pretty impressive, but the Michelins have come to be preferred in this house. Nearly all of our bikes have Road 5s now, with the FJR getting the GT version, of course.
That thing sure eats front tires, but the R5 GT stands up to that abuse better than anything else.
thanks for the feedback Bill -- I am intrigued by the Road 5 GTs and just corresponded with someone on the FJR1300 FB page who says he got 28,000 km on a set!

anyone else have a similar experience?

·
Registered
2003 FJR1300R / 2007 Husq SMR 510
867 Posts
thanks for the feedback Bill -- I am intrigued by the Road 5 GTs and just corresponded with someone on the FJR1300 FB page who says he got 28,000 km on a set!

anyone else have a similar experience?
Thats cap.
Nobody is getting 15,000 miles on a set of tires unless they have memory issues.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts