FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tires are like shoes...you go with what feels best. I am a die-hard fan of Michelin tires...have them on my Tundra, and my wife's Subaru and have had them on all my vehicles.
When I bought my 13 FJR the tires on it were Michelin Pilot Road 4's. They looked like they had about another 3-6 months of usable tread on them, but they were still pretty sticky in the corners and felt ok on the highway.

I bought the bike used, with zero service documentation and only the words of the seller on what was done. So I took it to my favorite shop in Vacaville CA and asked them to go thru EVERYTHING. This included replacing the tires...I figured why wait a few months...just get it done now.

I researched Bridgestone, Michelin, Continental, and Metzler. It was a close run between Metzler and Michelin. I have a good buddy that has an ST1300 and he runs the same Metzlers that I was looking at. So we went out for a ride through the Napa / Sonoma hills and we swapped bikes for about an hour. I was very impressed with how far I could comfortably lean his bike over in the turns and at pretty good speeds. I was even more impressed at how thin of a line the tires seemed to be on while just cruising on a straight road...and how easily they transitioned to a quick lean into a turn. At the end of the run, I felt the tires on my bike (Michelins) and the Metzlers that I was pushing thru corners and the Michelins were much hotter...a good 20 degrees hotter. We were both going the same speed, running the same way and he was behind me the whole time...probably yelling "DON'T CRASH MY BIKE" the whole time. It was funny, when it was time to switch back to our own bikes, I felt like I was missing out on those tires...I liked them that much.

So I ordered a set of the Metzler Roadtec 01 SE tires and had them put on at the shop...also had 90-degree valve stems put on both wheels. I have not been out in the hills yet...the new tires are still under 50 miles of break-in time...but on the freeway, I get that same feeling of being on a very thin line of contact while just rolling straight up down the freeway. My overall MPG has gone up .5 mpg in just three days of commuting to work and back ( about 30 miles round trip ) while driving the same way I always do.
I have just started to exercise the shoulders a bit. Something tells me that the FJR will limit out on lean angle long before these tires do. I keep them at 41 psi front and 40 psi rear for now...that may change as they wear in a little more. I feel like I have found the perfect tire for this bike...wondering if any of you have these tires and if you are as happy with them as I am.

Keep the rubber side down!

Michael

·
Registered
2003 FJR1300R / 2007 Husq SMR 510
873 Posts
Tires are like shoes...you go with what feels best. I am a die-hard fan of Michelin tires...have them on my Tundra, and my wife's Subaru and have had them on all my vehicles.
When I bought my 13 FJR the tires on it were Michelin Pilot Road 4's. They looked like they had about another 3-6 months of usable tread on them, but they were still pretty sticky in the corners and felt ok on the highway.

I bought the bike used, with zero service documentation and only the words of the seller on what was done. So I took it to my favorite shop in Vacaville CA and asked them to go thru EVERYTHING. This included replacing the tires...I figured why wait a few months...just get it done now.

I researched Bridgestone, Michelin, Continental, and Metzler. It was a close run between Metzler and Michelin. I have a good buddy that has an ST1300 and he runs the same Metzlers that I was looking at. So we went out for a ride through the Napa / Sonoma hills and we swapped bikes for about an hour. I was very impressed with how far I could comfortably lean his bike over in the turns and at pretty good speeds. I was even more impressed at how thin of a line the tires seemed to be on while just cruising on a straight road...and how easily they transitioned to a quick lean into a turn. At the end of the run, I felt the tires on my bike (Michelins) and the Metzlers that I was pushing thru corners and the Michelins were much hotter...a good 20 degrees hotter. We were both going the same speed, running the same way and he was behind me the whole time...probably yelling "DON'T CRASH MY BIKE" the whole time. It was funny, when it was time to switch back to our own bikes, I felt like I was missing out on those tires...I liked them that much.

So I ordered a set of the Metzler Roadtec 01 SE tires and had them put on at the shop...also had 90-degree valve stems put on both wheels. I have not been out in the hills yet...the new tires are still under 50 miles of break-in time...but on the freeway, I get that same feeling of being on a very thin line of contact while just rolling straight up down the freeway. My overall MPG has gone up .5 mpg in just three days of commuting to work and back ( about 30 miles round trip ) while driving the same way I always do.
I have just started to exercise the shoulders a bit. Something tells me that the FJR will limit out on lean angle long before these tires do. I keep them at 41 psi front and 40 psi rear for now...that may change as they wear in a little more. I feel like I have found the perfect tire for this bike...wondering if any of you have these tires and if you are as happy with them as I am.

Michael

The FJR foot pegs will come in contact with the road well before any tire will reach it's limits.

Pirellis. I'll fight for it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The FJR foot pegs will come in contact with the road well before any tire will reach it's limits.

Pirellis. I'll fight for it.
You got that right...never had Pirellis before. Heard they are good tires

·
Premium Member
2016 FJR1300AK
231 Posts
I haven't lived in Vacaville since 2010. What good motorcycle shop is there nowadays?
I've bought 3 bikes from Good Times when they were still around back in the day.

Haven't dragged footpegs since putting on a Penske shock and AK-20's in front and can put my FJR through its paces much faster than before.
Stock suspension and i can drag pegs zigzagging through the neighborhood.

Reactions: SpokaneJim

·
Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
1,207 Posts
I have the Roadtec 01SE tires on Orion! They are amazing! I can hang with my son who shreds on a CBR600RR. All the sport Bike guys hate that a "Bagger" can hang with them!!
But they are only amazing for 5000 miles!! I am at the wear bars.
I really don't want to put on tires every year.

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't lived in Vacaville since 2010. What good motorcycle shop is there nowadays?
I've bought 3 bikes from Good Times when they were still around back in the day.

Haven't dragged footpegs since putting on a Penske shock and AK-20's in front and can put my FJR through its paces much faster than before.
Stock suspension and i can drag pegs zigzagging through the neighborhood.
The shop is called Speakeasy Moto. It's a small shop but the guys know their stuff!

·
Registered
2009 FJR 1300AE
756 Posts

Michael
Also running the Metzeler Roadtec 01 SEs and so far I'm liking them. We'll see how they are after a few thousand miles. :unsure:

·
Registered
2009 FJR1300, 2000 VFR800, 2004 V-Strom 650, 2003 VFR800, etc.
260 Posts
I moved on to the Michelin Road 5 GTs with a bit of reluctance when they replaced the 4 GTs.
I need not have worried, these not only stick as well as the 4s, rain or shine, but have lasted far longer with less cupping deformation than anything I've tried on the FJR. I rarely use the word "amazing", but the 5 GTs have truly amazed me at how good they are.
I did Pirelli Angel GT IIs on a couple of bikes, most recently a fifth-gen VFR800. They have some 11,000 miles on them and are doing well, but the bike with get Road 5s when the time comes. I felt the Pirellis helped my slow-steering ZRX's handlebar feel, but the VFR didn't need that kind of help. The GT IIs did wear into an odd shape, even with a lot of tread depth left. If I was the sort who used his tires down to the wear bars, I'm positive these would exceed 15,000 miles. Pretty impressive, but the Michelins have come to be preferred in this house. Nearly all of our bikes have Road 5s now, with the FJR getting the GT version, of course.
That thing sure eats front tires, but the R5 GT stands up to that abuse better than anything else.

Reactions: skippy344!

·
Registered
'05 FJR, non-ABS
249 Posts
I've got about 8500 miles on my non-GT Road 5 tires... the front is down to (and past) the wear bars... the rear is almost there. Riding had been mostly commuting but WFH the last 2.5 yrs has me out on the weekends up in the hills with plenty of corners so no squared off wear pattern for this set. Next up is a pair of Dunlop RS3 which my local shop had in stock, priced within a few dollars of online, AND the price includes installation (wheels off bike) AND Dunlop has a rebate going right now ($20/tire?). So, cost was the driver here and the RS3 seems to have decent reputation and with 2 in college, I need to watch my expenses ;-). I don't recall the last time I had Dunlop tires... the last 8.5 yrs of FJR ownership has been all Michelin Pilot Road 3,4,5 and the ST1100 before that had a few sets of Bridgestones...
Regards,
Mr. BR
'05 FJR

·
Registered
2009 FJR1300, 2000 VFR800, 2004 V-Strom 650, 2003 VFR800, etc.
260 Posts
I will add... my FJR came five years ago with brand-new Dunlop RoadSmart 3s, and I have to say they were a disappointment.
The price is definitely right, and there's no arguing what can be affordable, but I yanked my RS3s at only 5,000 miles. Weird cupping and deformation along with nauseating steering. And they weren't that far from the wear bars.
My experience is that the Michelin Road 5 GTs are actually quite a bit cheaper in the long run. You just have to suffer a bit more up front.
But getting two to three times the mileage, with better steering as they age to boot, and not having to pay to have the wheels pulled and remounted (if you do it that way) is a savings.

Reactions: Mr. BR

·
Registered
2014 FJR 2003 ZRX1200
122 Posts
IMO Tires are personal. Different riders like different tires for different reasons. Hard to compare I had the metzlers on my ZRX and really liked them. They were the longest lasting tire I've run on that bike since I bought it new in 03. I bought road 5;s next. lol. Not sure why but I do like them. They are cupping a bit in the rear on the rex. I also have 5's on the fjr. It came with them so I'm not sure of the mileage. I'm liking how they feel but I think it is more me getting used to the weight and throttle response of the fjr. It tracks nicely through the turns. The front is getting worn and the rear is close. I'll probably just go with a set but based on how it feels now, it would be hard for me to go to different tire. If I do, it might be the 6's or 3rd option would be the metzler 01. Both are great in the rain.

·
Registered
48 Posts
A decade ago I made a spreadsheet where I tracked all of my experiences with different tire makes and models. At the time, the original pilot power was my favorite and the standard by which I judged all other bike tires. After a while I stopped experimenting and stuck with what I knew would never let me down.
Of course none of these tires are made anymore. Including my beloved single compound pilot power tire.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Also running the Metzeler Roadtec 01 SEs and so far I'm liking them. We'll see how they are after a few thousand miles. :unsure:
They have a great feeling of being connected to the road. It is hard to turn the handle bars are a dead stop, but that is because they are grippy as hell. Yes your right...time and miles will tell.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I’m a PR fanboy. I’ve ran the pilot roads original to the Road 5 on all my bikes. Currently have Road 5 on my Versys 1000 and will go to the 6. I average 8-10K miles per set since the start.

But you need to ran what makes you comfortable.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How, pray tell, do you "test drive tires"??? You buy them - you own them.
My buddy had them on his ST1300...so I rode his bike and he rode mine...its all in the details.
Anyways, I am still loving these tires.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I like the Angel GT's (2nd favorite) on my '14. I've had BT-023's (my favorite but discontinued), RP 4's (wore funny, same mileage), T30's worst tire ever, Power 3's good but not as many miles, Conti Road attacks not bad but also low miles. I average approx. 10K per set. I haven't tried the Angel GT 2's as I don't like the two center groves on the front. The RP5 and RP6 are too much money for what they are based on the RP4's. I have a set of Angel GT's (my 3rd set) in the garage for my next swap, after that I don't know as the original Angels are discontinued.

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
I like the Angel GT's (2nd favorite) on my '14......... I haven't tried the Angel GT 2's as I don't like the two center groves on the front. ......... after that I don't know as the original Angels are discontinued.
I've had both the GT's and the GT2's. To be honest I felt no difference at all. Angel GT's are still available, I just ordered a front the other day. Unless you're referring to the Angel ST's.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts