FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I had a great ride but got home somewhat pissed off. I just had a tire replaced on my Ninja 1000 SX because it had a cut in the tire about 1/4 inch long and went flat. I put a new tire on it a few days ago and today about 25 miles from home saw the tire pressure slowly dropping. I have a Garmin 595 with TPM.

I got home okay and found a very small stone with a sharp tip lodged in the center of the tread. I got one ride and 150 miles on a brand new Pirelli Diablo Rossa III. Damn!

Since I moved to the Hill Country of Texas about five months ago I’m riding on a lot of freshly chip-sealed roads. And I’m getting a lot of these cuts in my tires. I should point out that I also go over a fair number of “Cattle Guards”.

The Diablo Rossa tires are a performance tire that are of course somewhat soft. I decided to order a Pirelli Angle GT in hopes a harder center tread will help.

Any thoughts on the subject are appreciated. I’m posting on this forum as I find Sport Touring riders seem to have the most experience with the intricacies of all things motorcycles. Maybe we are just older and have gained more knowledge :)

See “UPDATE” on page two, post 22…

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
I have plugged tires before. I won't do triple digits on them tho'. I also once found a local tire shop that put on a patch on the inside. I would consider either of those options on a tire that fresh.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have plugged tires before. I won't do triple digits on them tho'. I also once found a local tire shop that put on a patch on the inside. I would consider either of those options on a tire that fresh.
My local,dealer won’t patch. That is not a consideration at this point. I may keep the tire and have a local auto tire shop patch it for next time.

i mainly want a discussion on other people’s experience in getting these small cuts in the tires and if a more sport touring tire may help. I have a few cuts in the tires of all three of my bikes. Most of them are not deep enough to cause a leak. But this is two that have caused a flat in two weeks. I have not had this happen where they went all the way through on any other bike/tire.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Tires plugged temporarily roadside with sticky string and later I have a tire shop put a vulcanized patch on the inside.

I ride on lots of chip-seal roads and have never had a problem with cuts. Premature tread wear due to the coarseness of the chip-seal but not cuts. Generally I use a GT tire like the Michelin PR4GT, but I am currently running Shinko 009 Ravens which they class as a sport tire, and I really like them: 10,200km on the front, 3,500km on the rear, lots of chip-seal and zero cuts.

Haynes

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Not all chips are the same. Depends on the rock used and it's fracture characteristics. I ride lots of chip sealed roads and haven't had any issues nor have I heard of any local riders with issues.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are three pics of the tire on my CBR1000RR right now. It is also a Diablo Rossa III

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And here are two pics of my FJR tire

·
Registered
'15 FJR1300A
217 Posts
Not all chips are the same. Depends on the rock used and it's fracture characteristics. I ride lots of chip sealed roads and haven't had any issues nor have I heard of any local riders with issues.
^^^^this^^^^

I have ridden many miles on chip & seal roads, cursed every mile of it. That said, I did notice the roads in TX definitely chewed up my tires way more than C&S roads in the Midwest. They source the gravel locally so the Midwest was more limestone. I assume TX has more granite.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Probably not able to repair a hole caused by a sharp stone as the hole would not be regular. I had a car tyre repaired at a tyre shop and the repair failed, unfortunately the only safe way is to replace the tyre. I have tried various tyres over the years and generally every second tyre would get a puncture. I am now using Dunlop Roadsmart 3 and they do seem to be less likely to get punctures and will do 10 to 12 thousand miles and wear out together, which is a bonus, as I only have to make one trip to the tyre shop.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Probably not able to repair a hole caused by a sharp stone as the hole would not be regular. I had a car tyre repaired at a tyre shop and the repair failed, unfortunately the only safe way is to replace the tyre. I have tried various tyres over the years and generally every second tyre would get a puncture. I am now using Dunlop Roadsmart 3 and they do seem to be less likely to get punctures and will do 10 to 12 thousand miles and wear out together, which is a bonus, as I only have to make one trip to the tyre shop.
If it’s a patch the irregular shape would not matter. The only thing that would matter is how big the hole/cut is. The hole in mine is very small. Even when I pulled the stone out it was a slow leak.

I appreciate your input on the tires. FWIW, the one I got yesterday surprised me that it was leaking air. I pulled the stone out and it didn’t look big enough to go all the way through. It was a very small stone with a sharp point at one end.

Reactions: Linton West

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Try spraying the "hole" the stone made with soapy water just to verify it is leaking. You'll see bubbles forming on the tire's surface.

Reactions: bounce

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Try spraying the "hole" the stone made with soapy water just to verify it is leaking. You'll see bubbles forming on the tire's surface.
It's the first thing I did.

Reactions: Whooshka

·
Registered
'15 FJR1300A
217 Posts
If it’s a patch the irregular shape would not matter. The only thing that would matter is how big the hole/cut is. The hole in mine is very small. Even when I pulled the stone out it was a slow leak.

I appreciate your input on the tires. FWIW, the one I got yesterday surprised me that it was leaking air. I pulled the stone out and it didn’t look big enough to go all the way through. It was a very small stone with a sharp point at one end.
Are you sure it was a stone? I have pulled several animal teeth out of auto and motorcycle tires over the years.

• Wow
Reactions: skippy344!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are you sure it was a stone? I have pulled several animal teeth out of auto and motorcycle tires over the years.
I’m going to say I’m about 80% sure, but never really thought about that. It is definitely a good thought, and the area I was riding has a lot of animals roaming the roads. I’m not sure what I did with the “stone”. I did not throw it away. I’ll have to look for. The more I think about it the more it makes some sense. Thx.

·
Super Moderator
3,883 Posts
^^^^this^^^^

I have ridden many miles on chip & seal roads, cursed every mile of it. That said, I did notice the roads in TX definitely chewed up my tires way more than C&S roads in the Midwest. They source the gravel locally so the Midwest was more limestone. I assume TX has more granite.
Wait'll you try the desert outback of NV. It's legendary in its ability to chew through new tires quickly.

·
Registered
201 Posts
They do not use patches over here, just plugs, I imagine a patch over a very small hole would be better

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wait'll you try the desert outback of NV. It's legendary in its ability to chew through new tires quickly.
Notice that we are both talking about parts of the country that get really hot for half the year!

Reactions: bounce

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
My local,dealer won’t patch. That is not a consideration at this point. I may keep the tire and have a local auto tire shop patch it for next time.
Many dealers won't. First, they are in the business of selling tires. Second, patching opens them to liability problems.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Many dealers won't. First, they are in the business of selling tires. Second, patching opens them to liability problems.
Yes, I’m well aware of that. I think the liability issue is a cop out. There are many things they do that could lead to liability if not done properly. As far as selling more tires, sure. I’ve already bought four tires from my dealer in the past four months, and this tire was literally four days old. I’m not blaming them though. I get that it is the norm for dealers not to patch,

I found a car tire store nearby that will partch it and and mount it. I’m going to have it patched after I get the new tire from my dealer. I’ll use the tire on my other bike that will need a new tire soon. I’ve had tires patched before and find them to be very reliable.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Probably not able to repair a hole caused by a sharp stone as the hole would not be regular. . . .
They do not use patches over here, just plugs, I imagine a patch over a very small hole would be better
Small, irregularly shaped holes can be patched temporarily with sticky string and I have successfully done so as recently as 3 weeks ago. I've also even seen large, horribly irregular holes temporarily patched with several pieces of sticky string. An internal vulcanized patch alone will permanently fix the hole. If the hole is large a plug may also be inserted in the hole and then the internal vulcanized patch is applied. I've had several tires similarly repaired and was able to continue riding on them for the remaining life of the tire and I never had any concerns.

Below is a photo of a rear tire on my Super Tenere. It shows one of the two holes plugged roadside with sticky string and the second hole with the screw still imbedded. No air was escaping past the screw so I left it in until I got home. Notice too the tear in the tread. I was in the proverbial middle-of-nowhere (no cell service, no other humans) when I discovered the problem and had no choice but to temporarily patch the one hole and hope for the best with the tear. Once I got the tire dismounted and I was able to examine the interior I found no damage to the carcass of the tire other than the 2 holes. They were both patched at a local car tire shop with vulcanizing patches and I ran this tire another few thousand kilometers, right down to where the cords were starting to show, without issue.

Haynes

20170805_152758.jpg

Reactions: jjscsix
1 - 20 of 31 Posts