FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know tire threads here are very well liked, so I thought I'd start another one. Plus I had something interesting happen. 28,500 miles on my 14ES and I need to change the tires again. Stock tires changed at 9,500, Pirelli Angel GT's were next and were off @ 19,000. Put The Shinko 009's on and they are now coming off. And not because they have no tread left. I think they might last another 3,000 or so. I have pressure indicators on the valve stems, they go green, yellow, red as the pressure goes down. About two weeks ago I noticed the rear one going yellow so I put air in and looked for a leak. Didn't find anything obvious so I kept riding to see what would happen. About every three days I had to add air. After 2 weeks of this, I brought some Snoop Leak Detector home from work and basically just sprayed it on the tire. What I found was a couple of very small leaks right through the rubber of the tire. No obvious cuts, holes or cracks, but there is no doubt air is coming through the tire (maybe pinholes, I did not get out a magnifying glass). My theory is (the tires are cheap, $160 for the set) that they are drying out, getting thin from usage, and no longer holding air. Since they are low cost I'm thinking they got less antioxidant and uv protection added to them than you will find with more expensive tires (they do exposed to the elements sitting out all day at work). With that said, I was very happy with the tires in relation to the cost. They handled well and lasted for 9,000 miles. Dunlop Road Smart 3's are going on and we'll see how they do.

·
Registered
94 Posts
What with the concerns about the Dunlops in cold and wet conditions , I'm a bit surprised that you are going with them .

What was your experience with the Angel GTs as far as performance?
You got decent mileage out of them.

George

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Pinhole leaks from staples or wires are not uncommon.

My first RS3 required air a bit more often than other rear tires then 240 miles into a day and 10 miles from home I noticed pressure down 5 psi on TPMS. Got home with 38 psi hot. Took two coatings with soapy water and paint brush to find the puncture. Was one that had to be reamed to fit a plug. Lacking the item which caused the puncture I didn’t know what direction it entered. Spent more time with another wire feeling out the hole before reaming. The repair from outside would not have worked had the pubpncture been at an angle and I reamed straight in.

A number of years ago had a similar puncture in trailer tire. A staple or wire which didn’t remain.

As for oxidation and dry rot the only rubber formulated to hold air is the very thin layer on the inside of the tire protected from UV and weather. I seriously doubt that is the OP’s situation. But important to know it is the wad inside the air cavity which seals plugged repairs. The string through tread only serves to keep water and trash away from the cords, and to hold the wad inside in place.

Shinko was the OEM for Yokohama motorcycle tires. That was always a good brand and often OE tires fitted to Japanese motorcycle. Sumitomo is Dunlop’s OEM for the RS3. Then again Sumitomo owns Dunlop. It’s a shame Shinko does not use a sexier name.

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
I am putting Shinkos 777's on my Victory kingpin in the next few days. I have them on my vintage bikes and they all have been fine. They do hold the road very well. Might try them on the next change for the FJR.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What with the concerns about the Dunlops in cold and wet conditions , I'm a bit surprised that you are going with them .

What was your experience with the Angel GTs as far as performance?
You got decent mileage out of them.

George
I liked the Pirelli's, they were great. Just wanted to try something else and for $160 dollars , why not? I got the Dunlops, with the rebate, for $155. Time will tell.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pinhole leaks from staples or wires are not uncommon.

As for oxidation and dry rot the only rubber formulated to hold air is the very thin layer on the inside of the tire protected from UV and weather. I seriously doubt that is the OP's situation. But important to know it is the wad inside the air cavity which seals plugged repairs. The string through tread only serves to keep water and trash away from the cords, and to hold the wad inside in place.

Tire companies put zinc oxide and other chemicals in the rubber mix before it goes in the Banbury. While most of these formulas are proprietary, some of the stuff in there is for UV resistance. So maybe the inside layer has failed. It does look like air is leaking right through the carcass. By the way, the front is not leaking and it has been on as long as the back.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Tire companies put zinc oxide and other chemicals in the rubber mix before it goes in the Banbury. While most of these formulas are proprietary, some of the stuff in there is for UV resistance. So maybe the inside layer has failed. It does look like air is leaking right through the carcass. By the way, the front is not leaking and it has been on as long as the back.
How does UV get inside the tire to rot the air holding layer?

If the inside is failing then Slime sealant would keep the tire useable for the remainder of tread life. Even if the problem is multiple pinhole punctures from wires or nails.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

If the inside is failing then Slime sealant would keep the tire useable for the remainder of tread life. Even if the problem is multiple pinhole punctures from wires or nails.
I do not know about the inner layer. All I can tell you is it is losing air. After looking at the tire, the rubber looks dry and seems to be cracking in places. Even crumbly. Very small cracks and very, very small leaks in multiple places. I know this doesn't sound right, but it looks like the tire is slowly falling apart.
I wouldn't put Slime in a tire( a buddy of mine that runs a shop and changes tires hates the stuff) but it doesn't matter at this point anyway, the Roadsmart III's are on.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I do not know about the inner layer. All I can tell you is it is losing air. After looking at the tire, the rubber looks dry and seems to be cracking in places. Even crumbly. Very small cracks and very, very small leaks in multiple places. I know this doesn't sound right, but it looks like the tire is slowly falling apart.
Can't say not having inspected your tire but it is normal for tire tread to crack with age. That is why the rubber that holds air is the innermost coating.

I wouldn't put Slime in a tire( a buddy of mine that runs a shop and changes tires hates the stuff) but it doesn't matter at this point anyway, the Roadsmart III's are on.
I used to run TuBliss in my dirtbike tires and usually could not get it to hold air very well without Slime. In no small part because the tires were not tubeless but were being used as such.

Slime not an issue when changing tires. Cleans up easy with a paper towel. Doesn't spill unless you used too much. OTOH Fix-A-Flat is nasty, it dries and sticks. My point is, "Do what you have to do."

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just came back from a trip from PA to Co ( about 6K total ) on a new set of Dunlops and they look great so far. I don't ride hard, but I'm liking the the tires so far, especially for the price.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I just came back from a trip from PA to Co ( about 6K total ) on a new set of Dunlops and they look great so far. I don't ride hard, but I'm liking the the tires so far, especially for the price.
I wore out 2 sets of RS3s and might have kept buying if the after-rebate price continues in the $200/set range. Liked PR4GTs better but not $150 better. Got alert (possibly here) when RockyMountain had closeout T30 Evo GTs for net $208 delivered. Currently mounted and liking. Will wait to pass final judgement until they wear out. As to how long they last. As to how the handing changes as they wear. T31s are as pricey as PR4GT, so I have a pair of Shinko 016 waiting. About $200/set. They look nice, but thats not a very good measure.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Recently put on the new Pilot 5s and very happy with them. Went from the Pilot 4s (had 3 sets) hard to tell at first how much better as when you go from a worn tire (9k miles) jus about anything fells better. Want Angeles Crest HWY today 2 up and felt really comfortable pushing it a bit. Tread design is totally different from the 4s also more expensive.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Recently put on the new Pilot 5s and very happy with them. Went from the Pilot 4s (had 3 sets) hard to tell at first how much better as when you go from a worn tire (9k miles) jus about anything fells better. Want Angeles Crest HWY today 2 up and felt really comfortable pushing it a bit. Tread design is totally different from the 4s also more expensive.
"Michelin Road 5" is the new heir apparent to the Pilot Road 4 (which doesn't seem to be discontinued). "Pilot" was deleted from the new name.

My observation is Road 5 same price as Pilot Road 4, but every dealer prices differently. If your dealer wants more for 5 try a bit of resistance to see if you can't get same price as the 4.

Totally agree as to how new tires always better than old worn tires making comparison difficult.

Reactions: Stig-1

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know tire threads here are very well liked, so I thought I'd start another one. Plus I had something interesting happen. 28,500 miles on my 14ES and I need to change the tires again. Stock tires changed at 9,500, Pirelli Angel GT's were next and were off @ 19,000. Put The Shinko 009's on and they are now coming off. And not because they have no tread left. I think they might last another 3,000 or so. I have pressure indicators on the valve stems, they go green, yellow, red as the pressure goes down. About two weeks ago I noticed the rear one going yellow so I put air in and looked for a leak. Didn't find anything obvious so I kept riding to see what would happen. About every three days I had to add air. After 2 weeks of this, I brought some Snoop Leak Detector home from work and basically just sprayed it on the tire. What I found was a couple of very small leaks right through the rubber of the tire. No obvious cuts, holes or cracks, but there is no doubt air is coming through the tire (maybe pinholes, I did not get out a magnifying glass). My theory is (the tires are cheap, $160 for the set) that they are drying out, getting thin from usage, and no longer holding air. Since they are low cost I'm thinking they got less antioxidant and uv protection added to them than you will find with more expensive tires (they do exposed to the elements sitting out all day at work). With that said, I was very happy with the tires in relation to the cost. They handled well and lasted for 9,000 miles. Dunlop Road Smart 3's are going on and we'll see how they do.
I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to let you know my knowledge, i used to make tires, and from my experience before the tire goes into the mold oven that puts the tread on it there may be air bubbles in between the plies. in that event the operator may take an ice pick style tool and stab a bunch of holes there for that air to leak out, The rubber flows and seals it back up as it cures. if that guy didn't know what he was doing and he just "awled" tf out of it it will create those tiny pinholes you're talking about. alternatively if he was a bad operator maybe his machine settings were too high, or the rubber mix poor quality/old, or the builder did a bad job and for whatever reason he had to do the same thing, will also result in that. sorry for the run-on sentences, failed English. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
4 Posts

also people talking about UV light messing up the tires, and tire pressure going down after riding on older tires: depending on the rubber mix and chosen fabric's weave, heat will cause it to expand and allow the holes in the fabric to stretch and possibly find a weak spot and push its way out through the rubber overtime. let's not forget that a human built that tire and he may have assembled its layers basically backwards.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Dunlop Road Smart 3 are an excellent choice, could get 12000 miles out of them and they more or less wear out together, so only 1 trip to the trye place.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.