FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally in need of some new tires on my '05 FJR 1300. I mostly use the bike for commuting to and from work (year-round, cold frozen winters and hot sticky summers). I'm not quite sure what decent options are out there. Price isn't the biggest consideration...quality is.

Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Rob

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
Did you search "tires?"

There are pages and pages of opinions. Probably best to make your own decision from there.

:)

·
Registered
949 Posts
gypsy said:
Rob what side of the road do you want to use? I believe 'tyres' are for riding on the left side of the road. :lol:
gypsy
My my my...we are sharp this morning :crylarf:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow...there's so much useful information in here. Thanks guys! :D

I did spell tires correctly...so I intend to ride on the right side of the road.

Most of my riding on this sport-touring bike consists of a daily commute to work and back, nothing terribly fancy and nothing too hard core. If I wanted to run the twisties I would take out my FZ1 instead. So I'm basically looking for a high quality year-round tire that is good for all weather types, rain, cold winters, hot summers - and gets decent wear. Since this is an FJR forum, I was assuming that a lot of folks on the board would be able to share informed opinions about some of the various options out there and what has worked best for them.

I'm also aware that some folks like to buy the least cost product out there because, well, that is all they can afford or are willing to part with. I am not such a consumer. If a tire is really worth 3x as much as the next one because it performs better or is manufactured better, than I'd happily pay the difference....if I knew what it was. I certainly don't need or want a really soft tire because I won't be riding the FJR1300 all that hard. I would like to make sure I ended up with the best all-around performer for what I intend for the bike though...which is why I started this thread.

Any chance someone has some useful thoughts about the various FJR tires that are available in the marketplace? If so, I would love to hear them.

Rob

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
There's just not much price difference, and the niggles people have, vary pretty evenly across all of your possible choices.

- -

Buy the Avons, unless you're afraid of a wobble in defective ones, or a low speed squirm on the deep tread when new.

Buy the BT020s, unless you'll be offended at the front cupping prematurely.

Buy the Dunlop 220s, unless you mind them wearing quickly.

Buy the Metzeler Z4s or Z6s, unless you're afraid of fronts coming apart, as some have reported.

Buy the Pirelli Stradas, if you don't mind slightly shorter wear and a sportier profile.

Buy Michelin Pilot Roads, unless you mind a slightly heavier steering feel.

Buy Metzeler ME880s, allegedly superior in mileage, but the size is slightly different than specified by the manufacturer, and sporting performance may be unknown.

OH - I KNOW, I KNOW!!!! Buy Continental Road Attacks!!!! ;)

- - -

I wasn't trying to be a wise-apple when suggesting you do a search. Sorry if it appeared so. But there really is so much to read on the subject, on this board... if you don't look into everyone's experience, you might just be better off taking your dealer's recommendation.

Sometimes it's hard to get a straight answer on boards, when the question has been asked so many times before.

:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts