Fjrowners.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Didn't know Santa is driving a UPS truck now ;-P he just dropped off my present.

Will be keeping the tires in my basement, so I sucked the air and put a tie wrap to keep the rubber stink from spreading.

Is that a good way to long term (1-2yrs) store tires and prevent degradation and oxidation?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
"Rubber stink?" LOL Smells like a bike shop to me!

But yeah, I bet that will protect them! Also keep the creepy crawlers from making 1000 nests in them!

Reactions: Damir

·
Registered
240 Posts
That's what I do, sort-of. I don't worry about sucking the air out of the bag, but I put the tires in black garbage bags and put them in a cool dark place away from electric motors. Never had a problem and I always keep an inventory of tires on hand as I live in Narnia and also because I have found that some tires are sold out during the riding season. Presently I have a set if PR4GTs, a set of Shinko 009 Ravens, and a set of Heidenau K60s (for the Super Tenere) safely stored for the winter.

Another thought: check the build date on your tires and make sure you didn't get old stock. Four digit number that indicates week and year of the build, for example 4419: the 44th week if 2019. I have occasionally received new stock that's older than what I already had in inventory so I use them in the order of build date rather than when I bought them.

Now put your bikes and your tires away and quit bragging about your weather!!

Haynes

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I do, sort-of. I don't worry about sucking the air out of the bag, but I put the tires in black garbage bags and put them in a cool dark place away from electric motors. Never had a problem and I always keep an inventory of tires on hand as I live in Narnia and also because I have found that some tires are sold out during the riding season. Presently I have a set if PR4GTs, a set of Shinko 009 Ravens, and a set of Heidenau K60s (for the Super Tenere) safely stored for the winter.

Another thought: check the build date on your tires and make sure you didn't get old stock. Four digit number that indicates week and year of the build, for example 4419: the 44th week if 2019. I have occasionally received new stock that's older than what I already had in inventory so I use them in the order of build date rather than when I bought them.

Haynes
Haynes, just got back from my ride, sorry for the late reply :grin2: :wink2: jk, jk

....the date number on rears said 2619, and that's from Pete's Superbike, didn't check the front

Yes I am just concerned about the rubber smell spreading around the house since it will be six tires, I also have 2 rears (Mitas E07+ Enduro) and 1 front (Shinko E804) for my Vstrom 650 coming next week. Had to order those from FortNine, since Pete's doesn't carry Mitas and he just discontinued Shinko, because (he said) Shinko asked him to start selling Shinko's at much higher prices.

from his website:
Petes Superbike stops selling Shinko tires, and here is why.

Message from Pete,
For now I have decided to remove Shinko tires from our website, since the representative of the distributer has told me by text message to bring up our prices otherwise they would cut off our discounts.This demand is in fact illegal and unfair to you, our customers under the Competition Act of Canada.Seeing as I do not take kindly to threats such as the one proposed by the representative I have taken the decision to no longer sell Shinko tires for the time being.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Rubber stink?" LOL Smells like a bike shop to me!
ha,ha, Skippy we'll get you some "Bridgestone aftershave" for Xmass

....my wife always tell me in the morning; "you smell like a new car all the time" :laugh:

Attachments

·
Registered
240 Posts
Haynes, just got back from my ride, sorry for the late reply /forums/images/FJROwners_2015/smilies/tango_face_grin.png /forums/images/FJROwners_2015/smilies/tango_face_wink.png jk, jk

....the date number on rears said 2619, and that's from Pete's Superbike, didn't check the front

Yes I am just concerned about the rubber smell spreading around the house since it will be six tires, I also have 2 rears (Mitas E07+ Enduro) and 1 front (Shinko E804) for my Vstrom 650 coming next week. Had to order those from FortNine, since Pete's doesn't carry Mitas and he just discontinued Shinko, because (he said) Shinko asked him to start selling Shinko's at much higher prices.

from his website:
Petes Superbike stops selling Shinko tires, and here is why.

Message from Pete,
For now I have decided to remove Shinko tires from our website, since the representative of the distributer has told me by text message to bring up our prices otherwise they would cut off our discounts.This demand is in fact illegal and unfair to you, our customers under the Competition Act of Canada.Seeing as I do not take kindly to threats such as the one proposed by the representative I have taken the decision to no longer sell Shinko tires for the time being.
Damir:

I have not noticed the odour of rubber inside my house. My bride hasn't complained either, and believe me if it was noticable she would complain. Loudly. I don't see why my tires couldn't be stored in my unheated garage, in garbage bags, as tire dealers around here store their tires outside or in unheated warehouses, I've just always stored them inside.

Interesting comment by Pete on the pricing of Shinkos.

Only bought tires from Pete once and after I paid for shipping they were slightly more expensive than I would have paid at FortNine. (Got a great price on a Shoei Neotec II from Pete.) I have been buying tires from a "local" dealer who is (relatively) close to me, for years, as he always had the best price (usually Kimpex minus 30%) if I could arrange to get them to town for free. I'd rather support a dealer than an online retailer, though I believe that Pete has a physical store. Just picked up 4 tires from my local guy last week and noticed that his clerk had written "FortNine price match" on the bill, and they were. Interesting. In the past his prices were better than FortNine's but I believe that their prices have come down.

Now about this riding in December thing . . . grrrrrř!

Haynes

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Damir:

I have not noticed the odour of rubber inside my house. My bride hasn't complained either, and believe me if it was noticable she would complain. Loudly. I don't see why my tires couldn't be stored in my unheated garage, in garbage bags, as tire dealers around here store their tires outside or in unheated warehouses, I've just always stored them inside.

Interesting comment by Pete on the pricing of Shinkos.

Only bought tires from Pete once and after I paid for shipping they were slightly more expensive than I would have paid at FortNine. (Got a great price on a Shoei Neotec II from Pete.) I have been buying tires from a "local" dealer who is (relatively) close to me, for years, as he always had the best price (usually Kimpex minus 30%) if I could arrange to get them to town for free. I'd rather support a dealer than an online retailer, though I believe that Pete has a physical store. Just picked up 4 tires from my local guy last week and noticed that his clerk had written "FortNine price match" on the bill, and they were. Interesting. In the past his prices were better than FortNine's but I believe that their prices have come down.

Now about this riding in December thing . . . grrrrrř!

Haynes
- my local dealer will match FortNine or Pete's but they didn't have any in stock, yes I prefer to support local small businesses

- my garage is heated but packed and no room for tires :frown2:

- that's nice that Pete is protecting us customers, I wish our grocery stores would do the same, and cut-off the greedy suppliers, in the last few weeks everything went up, using covid as an excuse, the gauging has began, brace yourself if you like to eat quality meat, veggies, fruits and other ingredients.
I quickly calculated...my family eats one DCT Wing every year :smile2:

- how about you move here so we can ride together, lots of decent 1M properties to buy here in the area, if you like to live close to the (twisty) mountains :wink2:

·
Premium Member
7,742 Posts
Rubber smell from bike tires isn't bad, try the 3/4" horse mats I got on my shop floor... now those stink for a long time (recycled rubber). In garbage bags is fine, keep them out of the sun. I don't worry too much about dates up to 3+ years old, I'm wearing them out within a year anyway.
Way back, when Pete worked a deal with the distributor for discounts for volume, it was very controversial with every dealer in Canada. I have been to Pete's shop and had tires changed while on a trip. They do a lot of sport bike stuff and sponsor racing. I was able to watch the dedicated tire tech work on my bike, did everything right. No problem there, and there are mail order tires all staged in the front showroom/shop. If he doesn't have it he can get it in a day or two from the distributor (Parts Canada).
I compare prices with FortNine (Montreal), usually with shipping they are close, usually Pete wins. A third source, Revco.ca who has several locations. I'll stick with Pete if within a few bucks, he's very reliable. My tires arrive by courier on my front porch usually within 2-3 days.

·
Registered
240 Posts
- how about you move here so we can ride together, lots of decent 1M properties to buy here in the area, if you like to live close to the (twisty) mountains :wink2:
I'd move there in a heartbeat except for 2 things: $1M houses and a divorce. Both expensive propositions.

Been through your town on an Iron Butt run (SS2000k/BB2500k combined). Beautiful area and apparently not too bad weather.:grin2:

Haynes

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
Damir, I can't remember, you must have a tire changing station with all those tires?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Damir, I can't remember, you must have a tire changing station with all those tires?
ha,ha no Jim just stocking up to get me through these "covid lockdowns" as there is not much to do, and ridding is the best "distancing from the virus" (especially if you ride very fast),

...still looking to get me a decent tire station, don't know where I am going to install it, no room in the garage,
...but with the wheels off the bike it's not terribly expensive at the dealer

·
Premium Member
320 Posts

Haynes
Good Call!!! Always check the date code!!!Dennis Kirk tried to sell me a way old tire once... They exchanged it, no problem, but I am betting that they are counting on us not knowing about that or checking them.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
ha,ha, Skippy we'll get you some "Bridgestone aftershave" for Xmass

....my wife always tell me in the morning; "you smell like a new car all the time" :laugh:
LOL, thanks, Damir! I am running out of my Calvin Klein Eternity for Men, and Euphoria!:grin2:

Yeah, if I don't smell like Simple Green, gasoline, brake cleaner, or motor oil, people wonder if I am OK!

Most people don't like the smell of 85W90 Synth gear oil... I consider it nectar from the gods!

You all make me smile...

Reactions: Damir and FjrjrF

·
Registered
98 Posts
I always get my tyres fresh from the shop as the rubber starts to harden from day one. The experts say that if a tyre has not been put on a wheel by 6 years it should be disposed of. If it is on a wheel they reckon 10 years.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I always get my tyres fresh from the shop as the rubber starts to harden from day one. The experts say that if a tyre has not been put on a wheel by 6 years it should be disposed of. If it is on a wheel they reckon 10 years.
Hmmm could it be that those are the same experts that recommend to replace helmets every 4-5yrs?
And I am guessing they are not in "sales and marketing" :wink2:

I've seen some vintage cars they had perfect 50yr old tires, stored in dark rooms and no fluorescent lights or minimal exposure to light. Pressure lowered and vehicles on stands.

·
Premium Member
7,742 Posts
LOL, thanks, Damir! I am running out of my Calvin Klein Eternity for Men, and Euphoria!:grin2:

Yeah, if I don't smell like Simple Green, gasoline, brake cleaner, or motor oil, people wonder if I am OK!

Most people don't like the smell of 85W90 Synth gear oil... I consider it nectar from the gods!

You all make me smile...
I caught onto you right away. I don't have to wonder if you're OK..... you're not >:):grin2::kiss:

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
I caught onto you right away. I don't have to wonder if you're OK..... you're not >:):grin2::kiss:

OMG, one of my favorite scenes from the movie! RaYzerman, you must be psychic!! LOL

And yeah, you are right...

·
Premium Member
7,742 Posts
OMG, one of my favorite scenes from the movie! RaYzerman, you must be psychic!! LOL
And yeah, you are right...
Some would say I am psycho, and others say that I should be committed.... or more committed, I dunno, I get so confused......:surprise:

Reactions: maximrebel

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Some would say I am psycho, and others say that I should be committed.... or more committed, I dunno, I get so confused......:surprise:
Same! LOL

·
Registered
332 Posts
ha,ha no Jim just stocking up to get me through these "covid lockdowns" as there is not much to do, and ridding is the best "distancing from the virus" (especially if you ride very fast)
Just don't ever post 'how' fast and for goodness sake don't say you have proof!!! >:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts