FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not to beat dead horses but..........

Looking to get a new rear tire for my 05 FJR and looking for your expertise.

Questions:
1. OK to keep the OEM tire on front and switch to _______ on rear?
2. Considering either a BT 020 or Metzeler Roadtec Z6. Your recomendations and mileage experience?
3. Other recomendations, 20 % curves and 80% mostly highway.

Thanks for your knowledge

monk50 in Nc :?

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I think most tire companies design the tread patterns to compliment each other in the rain. That is, the front disperses rain so that the rear travels in a, less wet surface. At least that has been my understanding. I know some here mix brands of tires,front to back but I would be hesitant. I may be off base there.

With regards to the 020's vs the Z6. The 020's are good tires in the dry and wet. My mileage on these tire was never more than 4500 miles, though some report getting 10,000 on them. Seems to be alot of factors contributing to tire wear like road surface, heat, throttle input (or lack thereof) etc... the curves definitely make a big difference as well as you agressiveness.

Two years ago there were several peolpe who reported the carcass inside the Z6 came apart and caused a blowout at speed. So these were demonized quite a bit. Then others never had trouble and liked them very much. So...... your call

You might try the Avons, except for a bit of wobble at slow speeds due to the tread design most people really like them.

Michelin Plot roads seem to be quite popular as well.

Have fun and be safe.

Glenn

Oh you can also use the search function and find alot more info if you are interested.

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
Unless you're riding aggressively, I don't think mix 'n match really matters. It would be helpful to know how many miles you have on your worn out rear tire. If it's under 4000 miles, you may be riding aggressively enough to be concerned with what kind of tire manners you're looking for. If it's over 6000, IMHO you're not taxing the contact patch of the tire enough to really care about all-out grip. You could drag a peg all afternoon on tires designed for a cruiser, anyway.

Looks like Gr8eyes covered the waterfront for you.

gr8eyes said:
Two years ago there were several peolpe who reported the carcass inside the Z6 came apart and caused a blowout at speed. So these were demonized quite a bit. Then others never had trouble and liked them very much. So...... your call
Did that ever happen on Z6s, Glenn? I thought that was only on Z4s. Not sure.

gr8eyes said:
You might try the Avons, except for a bit of wobble at slow speeds due to the tread design most people really like them.
Some concluded the Avons to have the deepest tread depth, thus equating other factors, including very similar compounds in all of the tires, they were likely to yield the highest mileage. I had several sets, and rode the stuffing out of them. I averaged about 3500 miles per set, which was well above the 2500-3000 I got from most of the other brands. Dunlop 220s came last in my mileage experience, when I had to bin a set at 1500 miles. (Joy riding in the Ozarks wears tires like a track day)

My favorites when I sold the FJR were the Pirelli Diablo Stradas, which didn't seem to go as long as Avons, but I liked the cornering feel much more.

The Avon 'wobble' is more like a squirm when the tire is new, due to the deep tread depth, and for me was only barely noticible at very low speed, like walking speed. I never found it to be even a mild distraction. They were great tires (as most modern SportTouring tires are)

:)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I suppose that there are as many opinions as there are brands and styles of tires available. I just took someone elses suggestion and bought the Metzeler 880s. The rear is a different size (170/60-17) but it actually looks and fits the bike well. The good handling has returned. I just removed the Pilot Roads and will not buy those again. You may wish to look into the 880s. Dunlop 220s were tried and the front lasted forever (11K) but the rear was toast in about 4K. I'm assuming that in the life of my FJR, I'll be sampling many more.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Liquid/gr8:
It was the Z6. I loved those tires but never bought another set due to the alleged issues. They are now OEM tires on the FJR and I plan to get those as soon as the 020's are done. At 2,200 miles so far, they're doing just like the previous sets. They'll be done by 4,500 miles.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input. Still confused and figured there would be quite a lot of opinions.
At 5000 my rear tire, stock, is gone and looking for your inputs.

guess I am not that agressive on most of my riding, but in the mountains I do like the twisties. I will take all your suggestions into consideration.
One site I looked at listed the following if interested in mileage:
AVon
Bridgestone BT 020
Dunlop D220
Metzeler Z6
Michelin Macadan 100 X
ME 880

Thanks again and appreciate all replys.
Monk50 in NC

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Monk, I think the 5K is a decent service life for a tire on this fast heavy bike. The 020's are great tires for grip and return average mileage. I liked the Z6's since they seemed to hold their profile a bit better than the 'stones but didn't necessarily last longer. Don't know about the 2 Michelins you've listed, never tried 'em.

·
Registered
71 Posts
my avon av46 rear has almost 10,000 now and still has some life left, due to its impressive preformance i now have an AV45 front :ale: none of the problems some have reported with the avon front either :? Thanks to all who recommended the avons !

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
A member from quite a while ago, R1derbike, had a defective Avon front. He reported the same behavior you describe in your other post. He called Avon and they arranged a free replacement and install. He then gave the tire great praise.

I guess it's possible to get a bad one. Sure sounds like you did!

Ride safe, mate!

:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bridgstones

I got 8000 miles out of the OEM Bridgstones, the front was cupped badly and the rear was bald. Replaced with Metzlers (ME6), what a difference.
Much improved turn in and traction.

8)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bridgstones

I got 8000 miles out of the OEM Bridgstones, the front was cupped badly and the rear was bald. Replaced with Metzlers (ME6), what a difference.
Much improved turn in and traction.

8)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Excellent mileage on the BT 020s. Front tire does cup badly though. Just got back from a 2,400 mile romp through the western PA mountains and SE Tennessee and North GA (making a concerted effort to avoid Squid's...er Deal's Gap). Had a fresh set of Avons put on for this trip..what a super tire. Excellent in just about everything the pavement could throw at them. Highly recommended :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree with Budman and am running an ME 880 on the rear. The tire currently has 5,500 miles and looks like it'll go to 12,000 miles or so. I put the tire on so that I wouldn't have to change tires while on the recent trip to Nova Scotia. At 5,500 miles I would normally be replacing the rear tire. Looks to me like this set up will allow me to replace both tires at the same time.

The big side benefit is the "turn-in" going into a turn is much better than anything else I've had on the bike.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts