FJR Owners Forum banner

Tire Kit Fun

4K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Aroxx 
#1 · (Edited)
After watching the Fortnine video on tire plugs I realized I can’t trust the silly expensive mushroom plug kit with Co2 canisters that I have. So I bought a regular old rope plug kit and a Slime pump to keep on the bike. I’m very impressed with the Slime pump. I assumed the gauge would be useless but it actually only reads a couple PSI high and the needle doesn’t even bounce when on. It only took about 3 minutes to bring my tire from 28 back up to 42psi. I was slightly disappointed the pump uses a cigarette lighter but I bought a SAE adapter with a built in fuse to plug right into my battery tender lead.

I’ve never had to plug a tire before but I’m very happy with this setup. Probably won’t be as much fun the next time I have to use it. It did displace my first-aid kit to the saddle bag. Kid tested. Rider approved.
Hair Shoe Plant Arm Automotive tire
Face Smile Tire Wheel Tread
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber
Crankset Bicycle tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wheel
Automotive tire Hood Tire Automotive lighting Vehicle
Watch Clock Gauge Measuring instrument Material property
Luggage and bags Bag Automotive design Motor vehicle Trunk
Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Font
Tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber Rim

See less See more
#3 ·
Their favorite part was drilling screws into the tires and bleeding the air out. I may have to be careful with the precedent I just set. Little one asked if the plug was a twizzler and if he can eat it. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Oldjeep and Damir
#4 ·
Can't see, but I cut the lighter plug off my Slime pump and added an SAE plug.... as long as you take note of the polarity, you're good. Lighter plugs are bulky.

#5 ·
That is what I did on mine too.

Reactions: Aroxx
#6 ·
I considered doing that. The lighter plugs are annoyingly huge but I was able to fit both the SAE adapter and the provided lighter plug with alligator clips just in case in the pump case. Good enough for me so I think I’ll leave it.

#7 ·
I've got an old 12v Campbell Hausfeld inflator that I started carrying some 15 years ago. I saw a couple trying to air a car tire up with a bicycle pump in a state park a few weeks ago and let them use it to air their tire up. It still works. :) I have a Stop-N-Go kit too and have used it a few times on other people's bikes, but after the Fort Nine video I've switched back to old fashioned plugs too. I've only had one fail, and it was in a sidewall. Even that one got me home.

#8 ·
And I can’t even attempt to resell this stupid Stop-N-Go kit in good conscious to a fellow motorcyclist so it’s basically garbage. At least I was able to reuse the carrying case for my new kit lol.

#9 ·
I made a SAE-to-12volt socket adapter, that I also use it to power my GPS. I do not care to use the provided 12volt socket for my GPS (and I am aware you can't run a compressor on that circuit). Leaving the 12volt plug on the compressor allows me to use the compressor with my car, which does not have a spare tire.

FortNine produces some really good videos. Makes this Canadian proud!

Haynes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.