FJR Owners Forum banner
81 - 100 of 257 Posts
I have a friend who runs nothing but Shinkos on his FJR. The Ravens are the right ones. I ran a set on my Honda CBF1000, PO had just installed a new set. They were fine. The front lasted forever, I had no issues with grip. The rear wore normally, more like a PR4 mileage or a tad more. Give them a shot.

Reactions: Bandit Greg
Been using the Shinko Raven 009 on my '06 since 2017. I got over 14K on the rear before changing and got over 16K on the front (170 lbs and only ride solo).
Curious as to what type of riding you normally do? Touring/Flower Sniffing, Commuting, Aggressive Twisties. How is the grip, wet performance?? Inquiring minds need to know. 😁

Curious as to what type of riding you normally do? Touring/Flower Sniffing, Commuting, Aggressive Twisties. How is the grip, wet performance?? Inquiring minds need to know. 😁
Well since I live in NJ there are limited opportunities for aggressive twisties, but to the best extent possible I try to keep it off the straight roads. Two touring trips a year to NH to get the best of New England. Never had any issues with grip, although I'm not a knee scraper. Some wet (no issues) riding without incident, but since I don't need the bike for commuting, I can be a fair weather rider.

Thanks a heap, Guys. I'll order a pair of 'em and give them a try out on the Big Road. I'd like to save the Road Smarts for when I get back, as I know them to be great SPORT Touring rubber, and I can use them on the snaky Upstate NY roads.

I had pretty good luck with the 005's in the past...used them on and off on the GSF for a while. Anyone ever try those on an FJR?

Some recommendations here had me about sold on trying the Roadsmart III next. After reading a bunch of reviews and comments it sounds like they are a bit more touring than sport. I prefer grip at the expense of mileage at the moment. Although with these prices maybe I should rethink that. I've used PR4GT and Angel GT A-spec on the FJR so far but I'm trying to sample the field.

Seems like everyone raves about the Conti Road Attack grip so I think I'll give those a shot. For an extra $25 I suppose I'll get the latest and greatest RA4 even though there is no GT version that I see. Forum members have posted as little as 3k up to 13k miles on the RA3GT so I guess it'll be a real crapshoot. With the riding I have planned for this year I only need about 4-5k out of them to avoid ending up in the predicament of changing them before the 2nd trip.

Since I just spent the last 2 nights comparing tires I figured I'd post the price comparison to maybe help out other current shoppers. All prices are from American Moto Tire except the RA4 on RevZilla.

Dunlop
Roadsmart III - $109 / $142 = $251
Roadsmart IV - $158 / $209 = $367

Pirelli
Angel GT A-spec - $147 / $192 = $339
Angel GT II A-spec - $174 / $231 = $405

Michelin
Pilot Power 2CT - $146 / $180 = $326
Pilot Road 4 GT - $168 / $207 = $375
Road 6 GT - $194 / $247 = $441

Continental
Road Attack 3 GT - $164 / $218 = $382
Road Attack 4 - $181 / $226 = $407

Reactions: FastPappy
I've got to vouch for the Road Smart III's.
I've found them to be VERY grippy; surprisingly so... I've used a few sets on my (sported-up) Bandit 1200, and I was amazed how stable and controllable they are in a tight corner, considering the long life they provide.

A good dealership friend who runs trackdays, (he's a Expert-Class racer), was highly in favor of the RS's the other day, even for the Track, (obviously not "competitive" usage). So I'm not sure who is claiming the Road Smarts aren't grippy enough in a corner. I strongly disagree. One of my friends just put them on a Honda NC750 (NV?)... and he said they made a huge difference.

[okay now Dunlop...you guys gonna pay me the fifty-bucks you promised?]
:p

Reactions: Aroxx
Found perhaps the most useful online tire review ever below. Clearly not written by a paid shill such as yourself @Bandit Greg 😂 Still seems like the Conti is a softer tire. Thinking I’ll try that one out first.
Font Circle Brand Logo Graphics

I just took a set of RA3 off my fz1 after about 8k miles. Pretty good traction, at the track I would say about the same as the angel gt a spec I have on my fjr. Looking at the picture, it's hard to tell how wore out they actually are.

I put some much stickier feeling Dunlop road sports on last night, but I don't expect them to last for more than 5k.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Automotive design

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Tread

Reactions: Aroxx
....I put some much stickier feeling Dunlop road sports on last night, but I don't expect them to last for more than 5k.
Old Jeep I'll be interested to hear your review on those Roadsports, because I want to go to a stickier tire for my Bandit 12, (since I now have a better long-distance bike in the FJR)

Old Jeep I'll be interested to hear your review on those Roadsports, because I want to go to a stickier tire for my Bandit 12, (since I now have a better long-distance bike in the FJR)
So far so good. I put them on last night and scuffed them up a little with a scrub sponge. Put about 40 miles on them today around the lake roads. Didn't push real hard, but they seemed to warm up pretty quick even with a 55F air temp. So, good enough for now and cost about $200 for the pair.

Anyone that has experience with the Dunlop road smart 4 gt on the fjr?
I just spooned on a set (RS4 - no GT designation) and am leaving on an 8,000km trip in 2 weeks, which may be a mistake as I have no idea how long these tires will last. I can tell you that after 800km they seem to handle very well.

I will report back to The Forum after June 14.

Haynes

Reactions: Eriic
Anyone else used these on the FJR?

[additional:] How about the Bridgestone T-30 Evo's?
I ran a set of 009 Ravens and really liked them. Like @RaYzerman said, the front lasted for forever. The rear lasted less than 9,000km.

Haynes

I just spooned on a set (RS4 - no GT designation) and am leaving on an 8,000km trip in 2 weeks, which may be a mistake as I have no idea how long these tires will last. I can tell you that after 800km they seem to handle very well.

I will report back to The Forum after June 14.

Haynes
Then we will be able to compare. I did order a GT version and will a 2 week trip this summer too.

I looked up the Dunlop RS4 which I ordered, there is no GT version for Dunlop's Roadsmart. They stress that GT is not needed on the web site. I assume you are speaking of another brand

• GT specs for reduced steering effort on heavier bikes**
120/70ZR17 (58W) TL SX ROADSMART IV GT
180/55ZR17 (73W) TL SX ROADSMART IV GT

That's the pair i got. Maybe they don't have them in US?

Decided to go with the Conti Road Attack 3's and did the 190/55 rear.

2 reasons

1) They came with a 3 year road side assistant/ towing up to 150miles WOW!

2) The commute to NYC from Long Island, I coildent shake the roads and the behavior of the Angel GT II, and wasn't willing to try the Mutants yet. (Probably should have that's a story for another day)

Any way did 3k on a road trip Down to and around N.C, TN, VA, PA, CT then home ro Long Island. Plus several hundred commuting from L.I to NYC. So far (in my opinion) way better than the Michelin PR 4's. I had.

They were as advertised. They Change direction well, felt incredibly planted once leaned over, even when pushed and under hard breaking, they also delt with varying road conditions/ road surfaces surprisingly well.
Had 2 rain days on the trip that was no issue the tire felt comfortable and in control (we did switch to the interstate on the rain days)

As for the commute not much to say they do everything well. They have dealt with the construction zones patched pavement, tar snakes, metal plates, and even the occasional WTF this used to be paved stretches of road construction.

The tire still looks good and is performing well.
I do another update when I get some more moles on them.

So far I prefer them over the Michelin.

I’ve got a set of RA3s in the garage going on in the next few weeks. Can’t wait to try them out!

81 - 100 of 257 Posts