FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
61 - 80 of 98 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Thanks Oldjeep. You're right, I got myself all confused trying to figure it out.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
10,764 Posts
Tire threads are like oil threads.... narrow down your choices based on reviews and opinions, then simply go buy something and try it for yourself. I don't think of the Mutant as a true street tire, can only speculate that the compounds are a little softer. How it handles and wears is simply a matter of trying it since there is no real body of knowledge at this point. If you're simply trying to talk yourself into it, then go for it. What's the worst than can happen..... you find out you want something different next time?

·
Registered
08 FJR13AX
343 Posts
Tires ... Tires ... Tires
I'm hoping and planning to make a cross-country run in June, Coast-to-Coast and return.
I'll need Mileage Mileage Mileage out of a set.
Last time I did this trip (on a 1200 Bandit) I needed to change tires in San Francisco.
What can you guys recommend for extensive Super Slab work on the FJR?
I've got a fresh set of grippy Dunlop Roadsmart III's on the shelf here now... but I hate to square them down on The Flat, so am considering something.. ehm, cheaper; I guess there's not much Savings to be had these days, huh?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Tire threads are like oil threads.... narrow down your choices based on reviews and opinions, then simply go buy something and try it for yourself. I don't think of the Mutant as a true street tire, can only speculate that the compounds are a little softer. How it handles and wears is simply a matter of trying it since there is no real body of knowledge at this point. If you're simply trying to talk yourself into it, then go for it. What's the worst than can happen..... you find out you want something different next time?

For milage it's hard to beat the
Metzler ME 888 Marathon
Or
Dunlop Elite 4

The get crazy milage on Wings and handle surprisingly well. So I would guess just as good on the FJ.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
10,764 Posts
Both those are slippery in the wet when part worn, I wouldn't recommend them on an FJR at all. Hated them on my Wing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Metzler ME 888 Marathon
Or
Dunlop Elite 4

The get crazy milage on Wings and handle surprisingly well. So I would guess just as good on the FJ.
Huh...interesting?

My brother and I never had those experiences on them (on the wing).
Do you remember how many miles and how old the tires were?
Maybe the extra 200 lb of thr wing kept it planted in the wet and rain.?

·
Registered
2009 FJR 1300AE
685 Posts
Metzler ME 888 Marathon
Or
Dunlop Elite 4

Don't know about the Dunlops but can't ever recall the 888s being recommended for the FJR. I've run the Z8s and Z6s with good results and trying the 01 SE now so the jury is still out on them. Just my 2 cents. :unsure:

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
10,764 Posts
Good as cruiser touring tires maybe. Ok in the dry.... don't push them in the wet. They are not sport touring tires.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Going from CT to Death Valley and back in June. Have approx 8K mi. on the 2016 ES . Conti Road attack 3Gt's. Hope they go the distance. The tires were on the bike at 2,700 mi when I got it but not sure when prev owner put them on. I like them enough to replace with the same. My friend has 11K on his original street glide tires. Not sure if he's going to make it on those.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
2,510 Posts
I don't have any experience with the RA3GT, but on my FZ1 the RA3 rear is good for 3-4K of spirited riding - on a much lighter bike. Honestly I am amazed that you have gotten 5.3K out of a rear on an FJR and think that they will last for that trip.

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Something guys fail to remember... tire wear isn't linear. Just because you have half the tread left after 5K miles doesn't mean the tire is gonna last 10K miles. Ask anybody who went for a 500 mile ride with tires they thought would be fine only to stop half way thru and see cords showing.

Wear bars are there for a reason.

Reactions: Aroxx

·
Registered
2009 FJR1300A
204 Posts
Starting a cross country trip with that many miles on the tires is crazy. Even if I only had 1000 miles on my tires I’d probably put fresh rubber on before starting out. You can always save them and put them back on to use up close to home.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I will keep a close eye on them and will change out when needed. I'll make time to do that along the way. I won't risk my life to get a few extra miles out of them as not a fan of rain and no tread. I was not expecting them to last the entire ride which I guess I implied by my post. Because of Covid the trip has been on/off a few times and that still could happen as I work in healthcare. Need the vacation bad as the last 2 years have sucked. If I swap them out now and the trip is cancelled these tires will be sitting around for a few years so I'll do it as I go .

·
Registered
08 FJR13AX
343 Posts
Right... It's not logical to start a huge trip out with semi-worn rubbers.
Last time I went all the way ,.. NY to Oregon/California and back... I needed a new pair in San Fran. (Getting a full tire change, on the Fly, in a West Coast dealership.. ain't cheap!)
But that was on my good old Bandit, (I just finished a complete Lower-End rebuild a few days ago.. runs great)...
this time it would be on the FJR.
My concern is not to "waste" money on beautiful, expensive rubber that I'm just going to square-off before Utah.

Shinko's may be a good bet... I've used them plenty of times before. Not great Performance tires, but strong and adequate, generally. (Shinko is the old Yokohama brand).

Think I can make a round-trip on one set, of ANY tire...?

·
Registered
08 FJR13AX
343 Posts
Maybe mistaken, but I don't think there is a R.S. IV "GT". I think it's just a "4".
[I just checked that and came back - seems they call the IV a "GT" outside of the US.. or else there's a different model there??]

I have a fresh set of those on my shelf. Some nice person at Dunlop, who I spoke with on the phone, offered me a 100 dollar rebate after I praised the III's.. which I do love. I've got a brand new pair of those sitting here as well... but again, I hate to burn them off on a straight-line haul.
The III's have been outstanding on both my Bandit 1200 and SV1000S and I'm psyched to try the IV's.
I'm considering something... ehh... cheaper for a Big Ride, and save the Road Smarts for when I get back.
Probably will put the IV's on the more-Sporty Bandit, the III's on the FJR.

·
Registered
08 FJR13AX
343 Posts
Something guys fail to remember... tire wear isn't linear. Just because you have half the tread left after 5K miles doesn't mean the tire is gonna last 10K miles. Ask anybody who went for a 500 mile ride with tires they thought would be fine only to stop half way thru and see cords showing. Wear bars are there for a reason.
Absolutely.
Some years ago I made a fireworks run out to Pennsylvania around the Fourth of July, riding my Bandit 12 with a pair of worn Conti Motions that LOOKED like they still had plenty of meat left for the 200 mile round trip.
While loading-up 40 lbs of explosives onto the bike in PA I looked down and saw that there were chords coming through the rear. I chanced it and rode 100 miles home, thinking the whole time what News stories would be on TV-
Motorcycle explodes on I-80 scattering debris and causing hours-long delays!

This was the end product-
Tire Shoe Automotive tire Light Tread

61 - 80 of 98 Posts